Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1510501 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3825 on: December 04, 2013, 09:22:29 pm »
Well i liked AC4, the land combat is...exactly the same. But the nava, combat is pretty badass if you can forgive the disturbingly fast reload rate of the cannons
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3826 on: December 04, 2013, 11:24:41 pm »
I'd be willing to forgive a breach of realism to improve pacing.  One thing that always annoyed me with pre-Modern naval units in game was just how.  Fucking.  SLOW they all were.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3827 on: December 04, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »
Personally, I consider the stupidly fast sailing speed and the lack of any sort of wind direction to worry about to be a massive plus. Because what could be more awesome that sailing around in a pirate ship at the speed of a maglev train?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3828 on: December 05, 2013, 12:53:06 am »
Imagine if they created an ultra-realistic 17th-18th century naval battle simulator, like ARMA or Digital Combat Software games with the modern military equipment replaced with men o' war and sloops.

You know that shit would be popular.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3829 on: December 05, 2013, 04:00:41 am »
I'd play the shit out of that as well. Hell, the closest we have to that sort of thing is Sea Dogs, and that series is brilliant.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3830 on: December 05, 2013, 04:20:09 am »
Well either way, the naval battles are fucking awesome. Especially boarding, i never got tired of that
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3831 on: December 05, 2013, 04:21:01 am »
Gaming confession: I royally suck at the Assassin's Creed games as well as God of War. I don't know why but I do. I have managed to get myself stuck in all the GoW games and gave up on AC3.

Also I 'won' a code to the Maw. I got it from McDonald's they're doing a gaming giveaway thing. I think every ticket is a winner of a game code.

If anyone wants the Maw for xbox 360 let me know. I actually have two codes. I got another from being an Xbox Ambassador.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:18:35 pm by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #3832 on: December 07, 2013, 04:57:36 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cXuWBMZfi8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cXuWBMZfi8</a>

This makes me laugh like a maniac for some reason.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3833 on: December 08, 2013, 06:44:15 am »
I may have gone a bit psycho with the Hedjaz in EU4

I colonised papua new guinea. They are now a sunni arabic nation.
I destroyed yemen. Made them a vassal and then absorbed them.
Im in the process of taking over all of Swahili, i own half the east african coast.
After that im taking out whats left of the mamluks, since they got decimated by the ottomans. But they are allied with the Oman and they could fuck me up. Plus a nation near new guinea is itching to take me out.
Right now im quite stretched. Im colonising chunks of africa, but my forces are still concentrated in swahili to deal with the constant uprises. So right now my goals are
1. Stabilisation of infrastructure in Africa
2. Annexation of the last remaining swahili states.
3. Develop a garrison in papua new guinea.
4. Maintain relations with the ottomans.
5. Fortify my yemeni provinces to deal with reinforcements from Baluchistan and possibly Omani
6. Annexation of the last mamluk states.

Then if im feeling ballsy enough. I sweep north in a massive campaign against the ottomans
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:51:58 am by Hofstadter's Tortoise »

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3834 on: December 10, 2013, 12:34:18 am »
Imagine if they created an ultra-realistic 17th-18th century naval battle simulator, like ARMA or Digital Combat Software games with the modern military equipment replaced with men o' war and sloops.

You know that shit would be popular.

Arrrrrrrrr!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3835 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:24 am »
Am I the only one who thinks that the Killzone storyline is pretty racist when you get down to it? Helghan are "all evil" and the few good ones are halfbreeds. Half HUMAN that is. Even though the Helghast are if anything an ethnic group of humans, with perhaps minor genetic differences. Otherwise there wouldn't be any "halfbreeds."

In fact one scientist in particular mentions to character X that propably has less than 50% of her genome is Helghast. (Wait, so they really have completely different DNA? I mean even monkeys share more than 50% of their DNA with humans.)

They try to make the nazi comparison with the Helghast as the enemies but even when they imply that they aren't all evil, it is specifically due to being "part human" that the few Helghast aren't completely evil. The parts that aren't lazy writing really come off as being racist.

(But the games sure look pretty and there are some decent scenes. I particularly loved Malcom McDowell in Killzone 3. Then again I am a big fan of his.)

(And, Ok Orlock and some others aren't full out genocidal maniacs and have at least some line they won't cross.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3836 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:06 pm »
Am I the only one who thinks that the Killzone storyline is pretty racist when you get down to it? Helghan are "all evil" and the few good ones are halfbreeds. Half HUMAN that is. Even though the Helghast are if anything an ethnic group of humans, with perhaps minor genetic differences. Otherwise there wouldn't be any "halfbreeds."

In fact one scientist in particular mentions to character X that propably has less than 50% of her genome is Helghast. (Wait, so they really have completely different DNA? I mean even monkeys share more than 50% of their DNA with humans.)

They try to make the nazi comparison with the Helghast as the enemies but even when they imply that they aren't all evil, it is specifically due to being "part human" that the few Helghast aren't completely evil. The parts that aren't lazy writing really come off as being racist.

(But the games sure look pretty and there are some decent scenes. I particularly loved Malcom McDowell in Killzone 3. Then again I am a big fan of his.)

(And, Ok Orlock and some others aren't full out genocidal maniacs and have at least some line they won't cross.)

I think it's unintentional. When you get down to it, the story is actually pretty shallow (Good guys vs. Nazi guys with incidents of gray morality to make things look deep) and the games are mostly about blowing things up in really pretty and realistic-looking environments. It's probably not intentional racism simply because none of the developers and writers thought that far ahead, and the ones who did realize it probably just shrugged and said "Eh, it's not a big deal. More explosions."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:39:02 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3837 on: December 10, 2013, 12:54:53 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole plot was written in a drunken stupor, on the back of a napkin. it could basically be summarized as "America Vs. Cockney Nazis"

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #3838 on: December 10, 2013, 04:49:07 pm »
Guess I broke open my wallet early while getting ready for the steam sale.  Managed to get starbound (Which over half my friend's list seems to be on). And both Two Worlds games and Gothic 2 (which I think I remember someone talking it up on this thread before), both those series being on a sale for a few dollars a game.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3839 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:01 pm »
Sadly its like most games really haven't learned from Spec Ops and mMetro