Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507126 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4020 on: January 08, 2014, 12:45:36 am »
Technically this happened in a tabletop rpg but since the last thread I made for those died out almost immediately:

Were playing Only war where the characters are Imperial Guard from Warhammer 40k. Our squad has just charged into an ork held Mechanicus refinery (Original plan was just scout with a lone trooper and then decide what to do but he was spotted so, being the sergeant I decided to take the initiative and drive trough the gate with guns blazing.) and proceeded to use the heavy flamer and autocannon on the APC to take out most of the orks and Gretchin in the courtyard.

Unfortunately the Nob and a lone slugga boy survive all the fire we throw against them and are about to hit the vehicle, so naturally I step out and charge him.

...Because the only thing dumber than charging a huge ork is letting it charge you.

Before the fight I was at full 15 hp. After the Nob's first hit I'm down to three. Ow. At first we try to manouver the chimaera into a better position so that the team can just hose the orks with autocannon and las fire, but the driver fails his roll and I order everyone to get out and help. The first one out is the heavy weapon trooper but he has a dilemma. His lasgun propably won't hurt the Nob since he is just so damn tough. His knife is even worse and bringing out his autocannon takes too much time. Other than those he only has hand grenades.

Grenades... While my sergeant is fighting in melee (now grappling with the other ork after knocking down the nob for a turn.)

Krak grenades are basically anti-tank grenades and should do some nice damage. They also don't have a blast radius and only direct hit does damage...

What happens next causes us to pause the game as we are all laughing too much to concentrate. My sarge is wrestling with an ork while the rest of the team throw anti-tank grenades at the nob (misses scattering dangerously close to me) and the nob is being repeatedly knocked down by the explosives...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4021 on: January 08, 2014, 10:38:30 am »
I've heard some people rave about Fable II and some people insist that the first Fable is the best.

I've been playing Fable (I don't have II) and I'm thinking "Yeah, this is a pretty good game, but it suffers from first game in a series syndrome, where it's got elements that feel unfinished that were expanded upon in a later game.  But yet a few people say THIS game is the best..."

You'd think the sequels would improve on the original, but Fable seems to go in the opposite direction. There's far less legendary weapons to find, less demon doors to open, armour is removed from the game completely the number of spells available is heavily reduced and magic system itself is barely usable. Basically, every spell has five possible levels of potency, and each higher level requires at least a second of time to charge it up, during which time you're completely immobile. When you reach the mid to late game where low level spells are effectively worthless against the various mobs, you've no choice but to take a fuckton of hits if you want to do any sort of respectable amount of damage.

Granted, NPC interaction is somewhat improved, and buying property is so much better in the second game (you don't have to kill the original owners to buy a property and rent is dumped straight into your inventory rather than having to physically go and pick it up every three days) and there's a little bit more to getting married and breeding. Not to mention, the maps are now a respectable size. That's nice and all, but it's rather frustrating how they seemed to only improve the side fluff while the core gameplay got rather gimped.

So yeah, if you do want to play the second, don't expect much of an improvement. It's still a fun game, don't get me wrong, just not quite as good as the original.

This is why the gaming community needs to put a gag order on Peter Molyneux in regards to Fable.  He keeps overhyping Fable installments, and every time, they never even come close to the claims he makes.

(sighs) I hope Richard Garriott, at least, learns from Molyneux's mistakes and Shroud of the Avatar is as good as it looks.  It might not be the complete remake of Ascension we wanted, but hopefully, it'll still be good in its own right.  (Note that, as far as I know, Shroud of the Avatar has nothing to do with Ascension and isn't meant to be part of the main series...I'm just pissed that the main series never got the capstone it deserves.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4022 on: January 08, 2014, 11:07:54 am »
I've heard some people rave about Fable II and some people insist that the first Fable is the best.

I've been playing Fable (I don't have II) and I'm thinking "Yeah, this is a pretty good game, but it suffers from first game in a series syndrome, where it's got elements that feel unfinished that were expanded upon in a later game.  But yet a few people say THIS game is the best..."

You'd think the sequels would improve on the original, but Fable seems to go in the opposite direction. There's far less legendary weapons to find, less demon doors to open, armour is removed from the game completely the number of spells available is heavily reduced and magic system itself is barely usable. Basically, every spell has five possible levels of potency, and each higher level requires at least a second of time to charge it up, during which time you're completely immobile. When you reach the mid to late game where low level spells are effectively worthless against the various mobs, you've no choice but to take a fuckton of hits if you want to do any sort of respectable amount of damage.

Granted, NPC interaction is somewhat improved, and buying property is so much better in the second game (you don't have to kill the original owners to buy a property and rent is dumped straight into your inventory rather than having to physically go and pick it up every three days) and there's a little bit more to getting married and breeding. Not to mention, the maps are now a respectable size. That's nice and all, but it's rather frustrating how they seemed to only improve the side fluff while the core gameplay got rather gimped.

So yeah, if you do want to play the second, don't expect much of an improvement. It's still a fun game, don't get me wrong, just not quite as good as the original.

This is why the gaming community needs to put a gag order on Peter Molyneux in regards to Fable.  He keeps overhyping Fable installments, and every time, they never even come close to the claims he makes.

(sighs) I hope Richard Garriott, at least, learns from Molyneux's mistakes and Shroud of the Avatar is as good as it looks.  It might not be the complete remake of Ascension we wanted, but hopefully, it'll still be good in its own right.  (Note that, as far as I know, Shroud of the Avatar has nothing to do with Ascension and isn't meant to be part of the main series...I'm just pissed that the main series never got the capstone it deserves.)

Okay, they just need to put a gag order on Peter Molyneux in general. I get the feeling that the guy's genuine, but he just gets so hyped over everything he does and the company can never make what he claims that they're going to make. He's like an excited 10-year-old.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4023 on: January 08, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »
If it helps, I just try to avoid all hype period.  Both "official" hype and fan hype (actually ESPECIALLY the fan hype)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4024 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:27 pm »
If it helps, I just try to avoid all hype period.  Both "official" hype and fan hype (actually ESPECIALLY the fan hype)

I find it's best to expect crap by default, then you're never disappointed and only ever pleasantly suprised lol.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4025 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:32 pm »
Guess whose new computer can play a good portion of his games at ultra high settings? Guess who can now experience the fun of mods? Guess who has been playing games for the first time in months?

Spoilers it's me.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4026 on: January 08, 2014, 02:17:59 pm »
Guess whose new computer can play a good portion of his games at ultra high settings? Guess who can now experience the fun of mods? Guess who has been playing games for the first time in months?

...My brothers?

Spoilers it's me.

Oh.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4027 on: January 08, 2014, 02:19:48 pm »

Spoilers it's me.

You didn't hide that under the spoiler tag thingy! Ragghhh!

*Flips his desk over

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4028 on: January 08, 2014, 02:20:58 pm »

Spoilers it's me.

You didn't hide that under the spoiler tag thingy! Ragghhh!

*Flips his desk over

I'm just a bad, bad man.

...My brothers?

Spoilers it's me.

Oh.

Maybe I'm your brother.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4029 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:53 pm »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4030 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:47 pm »

Okay, serious time.  I also tend to avoid most hype, just like I tend to avoid most game "critics" as anything other than mere entertainment.  I bought into the hype of the original Fable because a lot of the RPGs I'd seen since the Ultima series couldn't come close said series.  In my defense, I was young, and quite possibly stupid.  Then, I played Fable, then played it some more, and was sorely disappointed.  Like, this is going to "change the face of gaming?"  I beat it in a single fucking sitting.  Granted, it was a 9-hour sitting, and I took the odd break to consume or excrete, but still, that's abysmally fast for something that had been pegged as a "glorious, epic journey."  When your main questline goes by that quickly, you're either dealing with a cheater, a power gamer, or your game is just plain, disappointingly short.

Okay, random picture (not mine, I jacked it from DMFA) to get back to less-than-serious mode!

Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4031 on: January 08, 2014, 04:47:49 pm »
BTW, anyone seen the Alien: Isolation gameplay videos?  Looks interesting, and it reminds me of Amnesia.  But the disaster that was Rome II, the developer's last game, has me concerned.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4032 on: January 08, 2014, 05:41:32 pm »

I find it's best to expect crap by default, then you're never disappointed and only ever pleasantly suprised lol.

I dunno.  I find that when you expect crap, you get crap.  You look for the bad in anything, you'll find it, which is why I think that the "negative generation" of gamers annoys me so much - they spend so much time looking for bad stuff and crow loudly when they find it.  Then they spend so little time looking for the good in the game, and crow loudly when they don't find it.

I just approach each game like I expect it to be fun for what it does.  I'm usually not disappointed (except with, ironically, Morrowind) so yeah.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:45:04 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4033 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:42 pm »

I dunno.  I find that when you expect crap, you get crap.  You look for the bad in anything, you'll find it...

I know what you mean but I honestly don't find that with myself, though I would say that wouldn't I lol.  But for a random example, I got dragged along to The Avengers by a friend expecting it to be total shit (I expected it to be shit, not my friend lol) but it ended up being my favourite movie of the year.  And I was soooo ready to hate Sherlock, but my brother put it on one day and it turned out to be pretty damn good.

Plus finding the bad in something doesn't always stop me enjoying it.  For another random example, I kind of enjoy Star Trek Voyager even though I could, and often do, moan about how bad it is for hours.  And it's not that I enjoy picking it apart (although that has a certain appeal too) I genuinely enjoy watching it.  No idea why lol.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4034 on: January 08, 2014, 06:09:06 pm »
I think that's because you're open-minded, whereas most "haters" I've met tend to be VERY close-minded.