Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507645 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4110 on: January 20, 2014, 06:05:08 am »
Got Civ 5. Its quite silly, the game is forcing me to choose productions instead of letting me end the turn. If thats how the game works then I cant play this. lack of control
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4111 on: January 20, 2014, 10:41:19 am »
It took me about 30 minutes to figure it out but I found out how to play ME2 on this computer. I had to download an older version of PhysX, because apparently they don't like it when you update that little piece of software.

What this means as well is if I want to play ME3 I will have to uninstall the current version of PhysX on this computer and install a newer version. AND THEN if I want to go back to ME2 I will then have to uninstall THAT version of PhysX and put on the version I am using now.

Wow that's a lot of work. Why this, EA?

I guess on the positive side I was able to find this out it just took a while to find the appropriate file to download. The instructions I was reading was saying I needed to download from the second disc of ME2 which I don't have the discs of. I would've been finished a lot faster if I wasn't using a digital copy.

Because as much work as they put into stuff like the story and choices available and such, they got kinda lazy on the actual QA part. Remember the debacle with the first Mass Effect? According to rumor, they tested it on exactly one PC with one graphics card, declared it fine, and shipped it. Then needed to patch it because it had abysmal performance.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4112 on: January 20, 2014, 11:24:43 am »
Got Civ 5. Its quite silly, the game is forcing me to choose productions instead of letting me end the turn. If thats how the game works then I cant play this. lack of control

After a bit you can just set the city to produce gold or science and then leave it like that indefinatley.  Would be a shame if it put you off entirely coz Civ 5 is quite good, especially with the 2 expansions.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4113 on: January 20, 2014, 04:48:13 pm »
It took me about 30 minutes to figure it out but I found out how to play ME2 on this computer. I had to download an older version of PhysX, because apparently they don't like it when you update that little piece of software.

What this means as well is if I want to play ME3 I will have to uninstall the current version of PhysX on this computer and install a newer version. AND THEN if I want to go back to ME2 I will then have to uninstall THAT version of PhysX and put on the version I am using now.

I guess on the positive side I was able to find this out it just took a while to find the appropriate file to download. The instructions I was reading was saying I needed to download from the second disc of ME2 which I don't have the discs of. I would've been finished a lot faster if I wasn't using a digital copy.

Because as much work as they put into stuff like the story and choices available and such, they got kinda lazy on the actual QA part. Remember the debacle with the first Mass Effect? According to rumor, they tested it on exactly one PC with one graphics card, declared it fine, and shipped it. Then needed to patch it because it had abysmal performance.

Mass Effect 1 actually ran into a game-ruining glitch because of this kinda bullshit.

Mainly, because my video card is too new and of a certain brand, there are two points in the game where all the physics-enabled objects (including my player characters and the enemies) become masses of black pixels.

The second part in the game happens during the near-climax of the story, and lasts the entire fucking planet.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4114 on: January 20, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »
Speaking of ME, are they ever going to do that rewrite of Mass Effect: Deception?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4115 on: January 20, 2014, 05:28:55 pm »
No, they're too busy making debacles of their Foundation comics. (No seriously go look up some scans of those comics.)

EA and Bioware are two different things. I know it's an EA required thing because the piece of software is used for non-Bioware titles. Not to mention, this isn't exactly a performance issue. It's a required software issue. Also back in 2007 I was exclusively console and so didn't bother looking at any problems with the PC edition.

With that said, I have managed to gibbed my way to a near-perfect ME1 to ME2 save file but the one thing that has eluded me is getting the ability to romance Jack on my femshep save file. When I follow the instructions my head gets glitched. I'm hoping it's just an OS thing rather than me being utterly incompetent even with instructions.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4116 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:02 pm »

After a bit you can just set the city to produce gold or science and then leave it like that indefinatley.  Would be a shame if it put you off entirely coz Civ 5 is quite good, especially with the 2 expansions.

I really hope so because the tutorial is starting to piss me off by forcing me to waste resources
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4117 on: January 20, 2014, 08:08:48 pm »
Also, pardon me, I'm actually going to rave about something for the first time in awhile.

Namely, the 3DS.

Okay, a lot of people dismissed the 3D as a gimmick.  And at first, I could kinda see why.

But now that I've experienced it, I think people are fooling themselves.  3D back in the days of the red/blue glasses was a gimmick.  3D nowadays?  Is a straight up improvement to the experience.

The 3D on the 3DS has improved my gameplay experience far more than any graphical increase could possibly have done.  That's right, I think the graphical experience on the 3DS is superior to the graphical experience on, say, the PS4 or the XBone.

Further proof that it's not the quality of the graphics, but what you do with them that matters.

Ocarina of Time 3D, I love youuuuuuu~
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4118 on: January 21, 2014, 04:02:34 am »

I really hope so because the tutorial is starting to piss me off by forcing me to waste resources

There might also be a way of turning off the whole "no you have to do THIS before I let you end your turn" thing, but I'm not sure as I've not really played around with any settigns other than graphics, and I've not played it on the higher difficulties either.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4119 on: January 21, 2014, 08:25:49 pm »
Until the 24th, you can get all the Hitman games for $9 on Steam.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4120 on: January 22, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »
I can't stop laughing at this post. http://unboxedtv.net/post/74160573847/should-nintendo-go-third-party

Ok first off, too all the people who want Zelda on Xbox/Playstation, the reason you want this is because Zelda on Nintendo consoles are just that good in fact its a general consensus that ALL Nintendo first party games are generally really really good, you know why that is right?

Um, what? Sure, they have a few good games. They've also gotten really, really stale. And to say that ALL of their first-party games are that good is just hilarious. Fanboy much? Pretty much any Mario game is painful to play now because of how repetitive it's gotten. You can only rehash something so many times before people start rightfully complaining about it being the same old nonsense. God forbid they do much of anything unique.

Why not just BUY a Nintendo console?

Nintendo consoles have generally ALWAYS been cheaper then their competitors and yet you go and buy more expensive boxes and then complain that another company isn’t on your machine. Yet you could buy a Wii U, play Mario, Zelda, Smash, Metroid etc and third party developers would actually want to develop for the system because people are buying it.

I think the reason people complain is because they may enjoy a couple Nintendo games like Smash and Zelda, but don't want to waste all that money buying a new console just for those titles. You're talking $200 at the very least (if you manage to get stuff for cheap on eBay/Craigslist/whatever) just to play a couple games. It's a bad investment, especially considering no one wants to develop for the damn thing, ensuring that you'll get very little use out of it. I certainly don't blame third parties for not wanting to develop for it.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4121 on: January 22, 2014, 08:35:54 pm »
Might want to speak for yourself.

I still enjoy Mario games, even if they are repetitive.  Because they are repeatedly fun.

If they don't want to buy the new nintendo console for the few games they want, then they can simply do without those few games.  If they really want the games that badly, they can invest in the console.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4122 on: January 22, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »
Alas, it doesn't help that the "quirky, 'innovative,' new control scheme" schtick got old after the N64.  Or at least, they did here in the States, as far as I'm aware.  Most people don't want a controller that's confusing and ass-backwards, they want one that gets the job done in as simple and ergonomic a way as possible.  Yes, the controller alone is enough of a reason to keep me from ever getting a Wii U.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4123 on: January 22, 2014, 08:44:02 pm »
Touch screens are confusing now?  In a country where everyone, their mother, and their infants has used one?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4124 on: January 22, 2014, 09:08:14 pm »
Confusing, no. Overly large and with a functionality that encourages game developers to force usage onto it just to justify its existence, yes.