Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1510678 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4380 on: May 04, 2014, 10:00:47 am »
Getting into some older games like Jedi Academy.

OH GOD INSTANT DEATH SANDWORMS WHY

I FORGOT I EVEN HAD THIS PHOBIA
Then I guess you don't like uncircumcised penises.

...Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4381 on: May 04, 2014, 10:42:30 am »

Well played, sir, well played.  XD
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4382 on: May 04, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »

I know this is a joke, I'm just having trouble seeing the connection other than the fact that both are phallic shaped, and I don't know what "uncircumcised" has to do with it.  Sorry, I can be a little dense about these things sometimes.

Anyways I made it past the instant death sandworms.  Somehow.  Had to take a moment after that level to calm myself.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4383 on: May 07, 2014, 03:59:05 pm »
WE'RE GETTING GEN 3 REMAKES!  WOOT!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4384 on: May 07, 2014, 05:59:02 pm »
God fucking damnit, this Executioner's Chariot is fucking stomping the shit out of me, I feel like I'm about to go Hollow in real life...

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #4385 on: May 07, 2014, 06:00:02 pm »
Anybody else looking forward to Transistor?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4386 on: May 07, 2014, 10:16:17 pm »
Anybody else looking forward to Transistor?

Right fucking here! Oh Supergiant Games, how I love thee.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4387 on: May 07, 2014, 10:40:03 pm »
Finally started playing the Phoenix Wright series. Well, one thing's for certain. The guy they had doing the sprites really really likes cleavage.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4388 on: May 07, 2014, 11:25:33 pm »
HOENN ACTUALLY CONFIRMED

GET HYPE
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4389 on: May 07, 2014, 11:51:26 pm »
Finally started playing the Phoenix Wright series. Well, one thing's for certain. The guy they had doing the sprites really really likes cleavage.
Fanservice and all that but the thing he is really good at is when he makes the witnesses and suspects lose their cool.

Those shocked expressions are just amazing and there is this one bad guy who actually seems to go super Sayan when he is finally revealed as the killer. (Not saying anything more because spoilers.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4390 on: May 08, 2014, 01:02:27 am »
Something's wrong with Jedi Academy.

My Lightsider Jedi is hypnotizing enemies into believing that she's their ally and that their friends are their enemies, then cutting them in half when they're done shooting their comrades to death.

My Darksider Jedi just fried them with lightning.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4391 on: May 08, 2014, 01:26:11 am »
The real problem with the Jedi powers is that the Sith got all the destructive and offensive powers, while the good guys had...

"I shall wave my hand and control your mind subtly so that you won't trouble me" and the generic "stronger, faster, better" things that the Sith have as well.

It wasn't untill the prequel movies that the Jedi got the "force push" as an offensive damaging power. Dark forces 2 for example had stuff like healing, absorb (enemy attacks power you rather than damage), protection and blinding. The sith powers in that game were strangle, lightning, force throw and "KILL EVERY GODDAMN THING THAT I LOOK AT."

The Jedi way seems to be to avoid combat (even if they are willing to mind control others and even change their personalities against their will, which might seem more likely to be an "evil" power.) so their powers aren't really suited to combat.

...Actually it might be that the mind control bit got more use in the games simply because it is the one of the few things with any offensive use. (Or you could just be a force-shielded regenerating warrior that cuts everything with his/her saber. Which still doesn't seem like a "Jedi" thing to do when you fill the room with the dismembered body parts of your enemies.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4392 on: May 08, 2014, 02:20:28 am »
Fanservice and all that but the thing he is really good at is when he makes the witnesses and suspects lose their cool.

Those shocked expressions are just amazing and there is this one bad guy who actually seems to go super Sayan when he is finally revealed as the killer. (Not saying anything more because spoilers.)
It's especially hilarious when the two are combined. When a certain female witness shits the bed, the only animation on her sprite is the rage-fuelling jiggling of her tits. I must say, it's been a while since I've laughed that hard at a game.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4393 on: May 08, 2014, 03:10:05 am »

It's especially hilarious when the two are combined. When a certain female witness shits the bed, the only animation on her sprite is the rage-fuelling jiggling of her tits. I must say, it's been a while since I've laughed that hard at a game.

I even know which witness you're talking about.

The real problem with the Jedi powers is that the Sith got all the destructive and offensive powers, while the good guys had...

-snip-

Yeah, pretty much.  I just find it funny that my Lightsider is, when you analyze her actions, a lot crueler than the Darksider.

The funny thing is, I could very easily get a Darkside ending with her due to the fact that, like KOTOR, the ending you get is determined by a single choice in the penultimate dungeon.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4394 on: May 08, 2014, 06:34:09 am »

"I shall wave my hand and control your mind subtly so that you won't trouble me" and the generic "stronger, faster, better" things that the Sith have as well.

It wasn't untill the prequel movies that the Jedi got the "force push" as an offensive damaging power. Dark forces 2 for example had stuff like healing, absorb (enemy attacks power you rather than damage), protection and blinding. The sith powers in that game were strangle, lightning, force throw and "KILL EVERY GODDAMN THING THAT I LOOK AT."

The Jedi way seems to be to avoid combat (even if they are willing to mind control others and even change their personalities against their will, which might seem more likely to be an "evil" power.) so their powers aren't really suited to combat.

...Actually it might be that the mind control bit got more use in the games simply because it is the one of the few things with any offensive use. (Or you could just be a force-shielded regenerating warrior that cuts everything with his/her saber. Which still doesn't seem like a "Jedi" thing to do when you fill the room with the dismembered body parts of your enemies.)

Well, you rarely even saw light side Jedi in the films before the prequels; Obi-Wan was pretty much it (Luke was self-taught after Episode V and was grayer than the past Jedi Council when he reformed the order), and he only lasted for half of one movie before going ghost. Even then, both were willing to maim and kill sentient beings at least in self-defense.

Luke certainly had few hesitations about knocking people into the Sarlaac in Episode VI, knowing full well that it would keep them alive to digest them excruciatingly slowly.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.