Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1508182 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4845 on: August 29, 2014, 10:04:50 am »
Holy shit Elite: Dangerous is so fucking cool, this is a game I never knew I really wanted but now I NEED IT

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4846 on: August 31, 2014, 08:57:33 am »
The Antlion Guardian continues to scare the shit out of me. It will wreck your shit like it's taking a walk, then nonchalantly do so. No barricade can stop it. Bullets are like candy to that thing.

"Retrieving the extract may not be unchallenging", my ass. More like fucking terrifying.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4847 on: August 31, 2014, 10:39:13 am »
Oh gods the Antlion Guardian, it was so cathartic when you got to kill that thing at the beginning of chapter 3.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4848 on: August 31, 2014, 11:46:12 am »
The worst part about my recent Half-Life 2 playthrough is reaching the end of Episode 2. Gaben plz I need Episode 3  :'(

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4849 on: August 31, 2014, 01:44:16 pm »
I've actually seen someone compare the new 3DS to the video game crash of 1983. You know, people would have probably had an identical response to the Game Boy Color had that been made today.
Who needs a signature?

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #4850 on: August 31, 2014, 01:56:03 pm »
The worst part about my recent Half-Life 2 playthrough is reaching the end of Episode 2. Gaben plz I need Episode 3  :'(

Judging from the concept art, it looks goddamn amazing. Take a look at this.

It's like some organic ship, floating in some sort of void. Some form of Synth? Something related to the "Third Power" that the Vorts serve?

Xen, I guess. There's all sorts of places this could be. Perhaps the Vort's homeworld?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4851 on: August 31, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »
I wonder if Xen was the Vortigaunt homeworld? The end boss of HL has a third arm like the Vorts (and those brutes or whatever) and judging from what he says he/she/it is a slave as well, so it would seem like it is a puppet leader like Dr. Breen.

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Zygarde

• The Beast
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4852 on: August 31, 2014, 02:11:14 pm »
I think I read somewhere that The Nihilanth was the last of his race fleeing from the Combine or something of that nature and that Xen isn't his home-world he just fled there

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #4853 on: September 03, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »
A long list of things that just bug me in HL2.

You know, the Hunter-Chopper's role doesn't make much sense now that I reflect on it. It's the combine version of a attack helicopter, right?  Then why the hell doesn't it have weapons like air-to-surface missiles instead of highly ineffective timed explosives? Do the Combine not understand how guided missiles work or something? 

Also, why the hell are all these American characters in the former Soviet Union? One would think that the Combine would try to clamp down on freedom of movement.

The stunning lack of UGVs in the Combine arsenal is quite interesting, seeing as how they have a shit ton of UAVs. Hell, why not have a drone that jumps through a window carrying a automatic weapon and shoots the shit out of rebels? Or you could build a drone that explodes when it comes near a target.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:03:35 pm by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline Zygarde

• The Beast
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4854 on: September 03, 2014, 07:31:25 pm »
A lot of what the Combine does in Half-Life 2 makes no sense, but I see it as they more or less don't make there own tech and re-purpose the stuff that the race they conquered has. Why they don't have UGV's I think is just a oversight. Also the I think it's explained (or inferred what ever works, I don't care) that the Combine tend to move people around a lot so that they can never get used to a place so that's why  there are American characters in Easter Europe.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #4855 on: September 03, 2014, 10:20:21 pm »
Speaking of the Combine, anybody ever read One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest? In the book, the Chief sees society as "The Combine" who implant people to turn them into "robots".

Hmm....

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4856 on: September 03, 2014, 10:50:46 pm »
My wife's started playing Katawa Shoujo.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4857 on: September 03, 2014, 11:09:05 pm »

You know, the Hunter-Chopper's role doesn't make much sense now that I reflect on it. It's the combine version of a attack helicopter, right?  Then why the hell doesn't it have weapons like air-to-surface missiles instead of highly ineffective timed explosives? Do the Combine not understand how guided missiles work or something? 

Also, why the hell are all these American characters in the former Soviet Union? One would think that the Combine would try to clamp down on freedom of movement.

The stunning lack of UGVs in the Combine arsenal is quite interesting, seeing as how they have a shit ton of UAVs. Hell, why not have a drone that jumps through a window carrying a automatic weapon and shoots the shit out of rebels? Or you could build a drone that explodes when it comes near a target.

The seemingly random shuffling of people around the world has been mentioned in the games, and is apparently meant to destroy familial bonds and friendships and keep people disoriented and demoralized, as well as making it harder to form a resistance when you keep getting moved across nations and continents and have to either go with it or become one of the guys who gets hunted down.

Also, they have as many or more major combat UGVs as they do UAVs. What do you think the Striders and Hunters are?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4858 on: September 03, 2014, 11:25:23 pm »

Because the civil protection does not get the good gear.

The CP guys have no cybernetics, they are still humans and therefore they don't get the good gear. The CP has pistols, MP7s, regular armoured cars and the attack helicopter. All of these are human technology that the Combine forces use, occasionally with small improvements. The real Combine troops get the Striders, hunters gunships and carriers that are all a mesh of living creatures and machines. Just like the combine trooper you see at the Nova Prospekt makes clear.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4859 on: September 04, 2014, 07:42:11 am »
My wife's started playing Katawa Shoujo.

The best visual novel of all time, hands down.  She made a most excellent choice.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.