Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1510405 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5100 on: October 24, 2014, 02:47:19 pm »
The protagonist could be some disgruntled war vet who slowly spirals into self-loathing and misanthropy, ending at last in the madness that is the genocidal crusade. Just like Rambo, this ends very badly.
So, basically Punisher MAX.

And now for something completely different: I have a new computer and have just downloaded Wasteland 2.

Tomorrow, if I have the time, I am going to try it out.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5101 on: October 25, 2014, 03:01:05 pm »
After replaying Doom 3, I decided to put my tinfoil hat on yet again for a grand epileptic tree of ID software jazz.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5102 on: October 25, 2014, 07:35:19 pm »
Let's not forget that...

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5103 on: October 26, 2014, 01:33:43 am »
First thoughts on Wasteland 2:

a) The live action intro was a suprise.

b) The game looks old. The interface looks to be from year 2000 (IN THE YEAR... TWO THOUSAAAAAAND!) and the graphics are only slightly younger. This is a bit odd but might be because many of the people who worked on it are older game designers. That or the attempt to imitate the older games might explain the interface, but the graphics being rather primitive is a disappointment.

c) Pretty enjoyable game with lots of references to the original one. So far I've been to a few familiar locations that have evolved over the years with familiar names and places this game is built for old fans just like it was advertised.

d) This was simply a coincidence, but I often make a character named Snake and gave that name to one of the main 4 characters, then it turned out that the current leader of the Desert rangers is called General Vargas and I was wondering why was that name familiar... Snake Vargas was one of the original 4 starting characters in Wasteland 1...

e) Oh God, the manual...

Honey Badgers were reportedly well known for "not caring" before the war, but with mutations increasing them in size and toughening their hides, they're some of the most dangerous animals you will encounter in the wastes.

Mutated Honey Badgers... The horror.

The manual contains other jokes as well, such as annotations and comments from characters from the original Wasteland. (Like one of the other 4 original characters complaining that their group is referred as "Vargas and his team" and debating over the animal whisperer skill having any value since animals are just there to be eaten. )
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:57:26 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5104 on: October 26, 2014, 12:42:56 pm »
Got the limited editions of Bayonetta 2 and Samurai Warriors 4 for my birthday (well day before but i didn't pay for them so!).

Haven't touched Bayonetta 2 yet, but looking forward to it. Tempted to replay the first, since the LE came with a Wii U port of that (on an actual disc, not a DL code) with added Nintendo weirdness (Bayonetta looks pretty damn good as Link, fyi). Art book is nice, and the packaging is gorgeous.

Samurai Warriors 4 is pretty damn good. Aside from the occasional grating Japanese female voice (urgh!). The LE was nice too, an anime OVA, OST CD and some DLC stuff (costumes, mostly).

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5105 on: October 26, 2014, 12:45:28 pm »
I agree, SW4 is pretty damn great. Wish the Chronicle Mode had local co-op, though. I mean, since you have a secondary character and everything, it'd be nice.

That said, loving the game.

Beyond Earth, on the other hand, was kind of a disappointment. The tech web and new space theme, while appreciated, don't outweigh the fact that the game is nigh-on pointless over LAN - it /will/ crash within about 90 turns or so. Lame. I haven't tried online multiplayer yet, but I get the feeling that I'll have the same problem.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #5106 on: October 26, 2014, 07:10:59 pm »
Brutal Doom seems to take any and all comers, but Strife and Heretic hit below the belt. Thus, I am going to get Doom 2 and run it on that instead of the questionably running Freedoom.

Harmony makes it...interesting.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:18:35 pm by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5107 on: October 26, 2014, 07:47:34 pm »
I started playing The Movies. Damn fun, especially for a Molyneux game. The only problem is that my framerate goes through the floor before I'm even through the early game.

I sorely need a new laptop.

I need a better laptop also, for similar reasons.

I've gotten to the point in the game Prison Architect that my computer can't run it at normal speed, much less with the time warp turned up. The most annoying pat is that it's like this even though it's a graphically minimalistic game. The problem comes from the path finding that has to be done for all the prisoners, guards, janitors, and so on. This means the game gets very CPU intensive very fast. It isn't helped by the fact that the game is still in alpha and hasn't really been optimized.

My laptop also chugs whenever I play Kerbal Space Program, especially when I try building anything massive. Think of how big of a rocket you have to have in real life to get a relatively small satellite in to orbit. Now up the payload size to that of a house, and think about what kind of size you need to lift that in to orbit. And the house size payload can't be made into smaller pieces and assembled in orbit, because the house is itself a smaller module of a larger ship. Of course all of this isn't important until the B9 aerospace mod is updated to catch up to the same level the game is. The new explosion effects and destroyable space center make the failures that much more entertaining.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #5108 on: October 26, 2014, 09:41:09 pm »
Oh, god. Brutal Doom is amazing, and not just for the nice heaping of Ultraviolence it adds to my new copy of Doom 2. It completes the modernization of the game started by the ZDoom engine and takes it to the next level.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5109 on: October 27, 2014, 02:10:21 am »
I've been playing the fuck out of Bioshock Infinite... dayum, this is a good game.  I'm not quiiiiiiite as completionist as I normally am, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5110 on: October 27, 2014, 11:44:18 pm »
GOG is partnering with Disney to release a whole bunch of Lucasarts games.  Including Sam & Max: Hit the Road.

ETA: I should probably post a link, shouldn't I?

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/27/lucasarts-classics-reach-gog-com-on-october-28/

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:57:37 pm by Witchyjoshy »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5111 on: October 28, 2014, 12:04:14 am »
6v6 tf2 players are some of the most insufferable people.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5112 on: October 28, 2014, 12:05:35 am »
GOG is partnering with Disney to release a whole bunch of Lucasarts games.  Including Sam & Max: Hit the Road.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/27/lucasarts-classics-reach-gog-com-on-october-28/
Cool.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5113 on: October 28, 2014, 07:30:33 am »
6v6 tf2 players are some of the most insufferable people.

Hence why I only play on servers that max out at 24.

Ironbite-or do Mann Up Mann vs. Machine

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5114 on: October 28, 2014, 07:59:51 am »

That's awesome. I'll have to get the Monkey Island re-release.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades