Author Topic: Good/bad anime thread  (Read 69924 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Good/bad anime thread
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2012, 08:34:33 am »
So anyone besides me watch Say I love you

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »
Presumably not.

Eden of the East? I liked it, but the fact that there are two films after the series isn't even slightly surprising once you've seen the finale. Still probably in my top 3 so far.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »
I really liked Hirugashi no Naku Koro Ni.
The seasons of it are really confusing though...
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »

Higurashi is pretty good, as long as you stop watching after Kai. Everything after Kai is just stupid filler that the studio uses to milk as much out of the dying franchise as possible.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2012, 05:45:58 pm »

Higurashi is pretty good, as long as you stop watching after Kai. Everything after Kai is just stupid filler that the studio uses to milk as much out of the dying franchise as possible.

It's also pretty pedo-ish.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Pak

• Neonate
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2012, 11:07:11 am »

I really loved Higurashi the first time I watched it. Like... a lot. I thought it was one of those rare animes everyone should see cause it would CHANGE YOUR WORLD.

It's still really good but looking back I see that mainly I homed in a lot more on some of the best moments and that the show as a whole is pretty good but not amazing like I remembered. Some of the later parts of Kai, especially the climax, having really really good concepts behind them and are executed pretty well. But it's still more focused on just mixing cute characters and scary situations. A fine goal and it does it well, but it doesn't go past except in a few moments.

Still worth watching.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2013, 03:01:42 am »
Random thought: What the hell is it with the anime fanbase and advocating piracy with flimsy excuses like citing merchandise sales or the allegedly higher quality of fan releases over official releases?
Who needs a signature?

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2013, 08:52:01 am »
Random thought: What the hell is it with the anime fanbase and advocating piracy with flimsy excuses like citing merchandise sales or the allegedly higher quality of fan releases over official releases?

Complicated historical reasons. That and some official releases have been pretty dire.

Also some shows never have gotten official releases, what then?

Disclaimer: I'm a translator for a fansub group.

Distind

« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2013, 02:18:26 pm »
A) They're cheap puds, like gamers. Actually there's a pretty big overlap between people who will never pay for what they watch and people who will never pay for what they play. Despite all other excuses, this is typically the core of it.

B) There are occasional real reasons, a particular favorite series of mine got dropped less than half way through serialization. I'd pick it up if I could, starting from the first volume if the whole thing was released, but nobody's doing so.

Though fan translations used to not bother me, but frankly the quality used to blow ass. Now you can get dvd or better quality online, which I could certianly see pissing off people trying to sell the legit version.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2013, 08:33:50 pm »
Complicated historical reasons. That and some official releases have been pretty dire.

Historical reasons: Such as? I understand that fansubs were a part of the anime boom, but they were a rather small part compared to Toonami and Adult Swim.

Poor official releases: The vast majority of low quality official releases were in the 90s, when anime was only this thing that only a few people actively knew about. Quality of everything involving English anime has skyrocketed compared to how things were in the 90s and even early 2000s to an extent. I actually believe that most fansubbers believe themselves to be more important than they are.

Also some shows never have gotten official releases, what then?

In fairness, I am much more sympathetic towards piracy if you can't get an official alternative in the first place. Yeah, it's still illegal, but if there's no legal alternative, then it's not like you're given the choice in the first place.

Disclaimer: I'm a translator for a fansub group.

Funnily enough, this thought was inspired by this:

Quote from: Some douchebag on another forum
I love the "pirates hate Crunchyroll, arrrr" school of thought around here. Take a look at a show on Crunchyroll and look at their subs versus, for instance, Commie's version. What a difference. Actual typesetting, a better encode, much smoother English with far fewer errors, better timing, OP/ED translations...must I go on? I could literally debate for hours about why fansubs>Crunchyroll, but it's such an obvious conclusion to come to that it's not even worth it. If you really want to support the industry, buy/import DVDs/BDs and merchandise, like figures. I've dropped more money on merchandise in one go than 7 years of a Crunchyroll subscription, so the "I leech off the industry" card is moot. If you really love anime, you'll want to watch it at its highest quality and archive it. It's common knowledge that you only download HorribleSubs when there's no other option.

So in conclusion, I don't hate Crunchyroll. I actually thank them for providing translations though - that makes it a lot easier for me and other fansubbers to edit the scripts and produce a much higher quality release for the leechers. I don't know how much they're actually supporting the industry, but it's cool that they are. Until they start actually typesetting, editing, and translating the songs in their releases, though, they'll never be a viable option, except for people who don't want to torrent. If you're forced to stream (which would really suck), then I guess they're your best option. Good luck with that.

Thoughts on that?
Who needs a signature?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:36 pm »
first off the 1 week delay is annoyingg second the other reason is if you live in Europe or Asia then CR doesnt work

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:03 pm »
first off the 1 week delay is annoyingg

Are you really complaining that you have to wait a week for free content? To that, I say you're impatient.

second the other reason is if you live in Europe or Asia then CR doesnt work

Those are licensing issues, not Crunchyroll issues.
Who needs a signature?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2013, 11:07:35 pm »
1. Yes I am
2. Regardless of why it doesn't change the fact that even with an Englsih release people will pirate if that happens. 

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:45 pm »
1. Yes I am

So, you'd rather just steal someone else's work instead of waiting a week? Yeah, you're an impatient douche. Oh no, you have to wait a whole week to watch a new episode! Let me play you a song on the world's smallest violin.

If you don't want to wait, then pay for a subscription. If you don't want to pay for a subscription, tough shit. You're getting free content on a very reasonable condition that you have to wait a week.

2. Regardless of why it doesn't change the fact that even with an Englsih release people will pirate if that happens. 

Way to miss my point. You're criticizing Crunchyroll for something that isn't even their fault.

Not to mention that this wasn't even about Crunchyroll in the first place, this was about how anime fans have such ridiculous self-entitlement issues that they think piracy is ok, even when there are free and legal alternatives that are more than sufficient.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:44:52 am by Wolf Lord Waldorf X »
Who needs a signature?

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2013, 11:05:30 am »
I don't view "subbers" taking scripts from Crunchyroll as subbers. They're akin to "scrubbers" in the tokusatsu fandom who clean up ropey old releases, but without even the justification that was exists already is terrible.

I work on mainly 70s-80s stuff, usually mecha, but more importantly stuff that's not licensed. I usually can't be arsed to get into ethical debates on popular modern shows that get official streamed releases, because those just devolve into massive shouting matches.