Author Topic: Fundies Defending Hell = Instant Rage  (Read 12464 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Fundies Defending Hell = Instant Rage
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 03:29:35 pm »
If memory serves, almost all NDEs are explained by the brain going into a panic as it loses oxygen and bloodflow, two things typically associated with dying, but that can actually be recreated using what amounts to a human-sized high-G centrifuge.  It spins you around at a high rate of speed, and you black out.  When you're blacked out, your brain kinda freaks the hell out and feeds you calming images, and once you come out of it, its like remembering a really vivid dream.

As far as the "wager" thing goes...well, if there's a god and it only likes certain people, then a portion of our population is outright fucked anyway, so it doesn't really matter what you believe, or even if you believe at all.  In such a case, it'd probably be best to find a way to kill said god before it can either start or continue its monstrous regime.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:32:07 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 03:44:25 pm »
As far as the "wager" thing goes...well, if there's a god and it only likes certain people, then a portion of our population is outright fucked anyway, so it doesn't really matter what you believe, or even if you believe at all.  In such a case, it'd probably be best to find a way to kill said god before it can either start or continue its monstrous regime.

I like the way you think.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »

Hey, you spend so long fighting against gods and god-like beings in games, you stop seeing gods in terms of reverence and worship...and more along the lines of "I wonder how much gold I get off killing that thing."  Its kinda like the Lord British Postulate, or "If You Stat It, They'll Kill It."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 08:37:34 pm »
Matter, Psyche & Spirit are simply different wavelengths of existence.
Wavelengths, huh? Okay then, what wavelengths are they specifically? Even a rough estimate of the range would be something. 650-719nm for matter, 720-949nm for psyche and 950-1103nm for spirit? How do these wavelengths define their properties? How does amplitude and velocity figure into things? What exactly occupies the wavelengths not taken up by matter, psyche and/or spirit? Most importantly, what kind of waves are we talking about in the first place? And don't even think about saying it's "quantum" related. I can assure you that quantum wavelengths have absolutely nothing to do any of... This sort of thing.
Matter is super-dense, subject to laws of death, decay, corruption, impermanence, imperfection.
How exactly does corruption and imperfection apply to anything non-man-made? For starters, both, perfection in particular, are subjective qualifiers. Some people may consider a certain movie, book, piece of furniture or a meal to be perfect or as near perfect as it get, while the next person may find the same things outright repulsive. As for corruption, well, that's about as human-specific, particular modern human, as it gets. Trying to apply that to anything not related to humans is rather silly. For example, what qualifies, say, a rock, or a planet, or a hexane molecule, as corrupt/imperfect or not?
Spirit, however, is the exact opposite of these qualities & is eternal.
So you're essentially implying that "spirit" is not subject to entropy, no? Considering entropy is a rather fundamental law of physics, that's a rather massive claim you're making. Especially as merely a different wavelength (wavelength of what, you've yet to define) is all that's needed to violate what all evidence and scientific understanding so far has supported being fundamental law.
Psyche/Mind/Astral is in between these two things and is also a sort of link/doorway between the two. There's different levels of Astral, to the mundane everyday thoughts/imagination/daydreams or other levels such as the dream level, followed by something somewhat akin to the Spirit plane.
While not quite as huge as "entropy doesn't apply", here you're basically claiming that our understanding of neuroscience and specifically information theory is false. That thoughts and dreams are not fact a conscious interpretation of various chemical and electrical signals within the brain but rather something (which you've only very vaguely defined) completely different.

Now sure, you could say that this is just your "personal spirituality" or some such (i.e. Honestly, you know deep down that the world does not in fact work that way and you are not in fact in any sort of position to refute the collective works of thousands of scientists who actually study this sort of thing and back their claims up with real proof, but it's fun to play make-believe). However, you also said this.
The idea of "The Big Guy In The Sky" or variations thereof is a bunch of unscientific, unprovable, superstitious, primitive claptrap.
Unless this was a completely unrelated observation, you seem to be implying that your own beliefs are not in fact unscientific or superstitious. If that's the case, then the "spirituality" defense is simply not going to fly. If something is to be scientifically sound, it needs actual proof to back it up. If it goes against even an existing theory, much less an entire field of science and even a fundamental law of physics, then you're going to need some really fucking serious evidence to both back your own claims and to disprove what you're contradicting. Evidence that, assuming it hypothetically exists, would most likely take multiple qualified teams of scientists (I'm talking doctorate level education and access to all the funding and equipment that they need) decades to discover and satisfactorily test, at the very least. I'm guessing that your scientific education doesn't even go beyond high school, if that. If you can't make with this kind of proof (and let's be honest, it's not going to happen), then your beliefs are just as unscientific, superstitious, moronic and outright false as any traditional theists'. Not only that, but the sheer delusional arrogance that you're anywhere near the same level as real physicists and neurologists is just astounding, though to be fair that does indeed apply to fundies of any flavour.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 11:49:17 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 11:52:16 pm »
Basically, Spukikitty is spouting complete and utter nonsense once again.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 12:15:50 am »

Basically, I don't care.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 12:18:15 am »
And here I thought we had something special.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2014, 12:30:12 am »
And here I thought we had something special.

Hence why I used a special teal deer.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2014, 12:31:38 am »
Well, at least that's something.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2014, 12:37:58 am »

Hey, you spend so long fighting against gods and god-like beings in games, you stop seeing gods in terms of reverence and worship...and more along the lines of "I wonder how much gold I get off killing that thing."  Its kinda like the Lord British Postulate, or "If You Stat It, They'll Kill It."

There's plenty of mythologies where gods (and things that are beyond gods) can be outright killed so it's not an unfeasible what-if.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2014, 07:42:29 am »
(click to show/hide)
Totally off topic, but I love this picture.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2014, 07:47:02 am »
(click to show/hide)

you just think hes hot you faggot
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2014, 08:13:59 am »
(click to show/hide)

you just think hes hot you faggot
Well.. maybe a little.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2014, 10:17:09 am »
(click to show/hide)

Had to look up "TL;DR". However, I read his post (It was divided and readable). I may not agree with him but he has a right to his view. But thank you, my friend.

As far as beliefs & worldviews, I say "live & let live"....as long as it doesn't hurt people.

I respect both atheists & theists. Deists, too.

Basically, I don't care.

Thank you Magnus. And a teal dear is neat....Very "Greenman/Cernunnos".
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:20:00 am by SpukiKitty »