Author Topic: Vets fight hate  (Read 2268 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Vets fight hate
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:29:12 pm »
"Downtown (Lowell, MA) Iraqi eatery's plate full with vets' support"

http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_19718719

An area veterans group pledged to fill every seat in Babylon, a downtown Iraqi restaurant where owners feared hatred drove a man to throw a 20-pound rock through a window last Wednesday.

Instead, those veterans filled every seat twice.

Lowell police said they identified the man who threw the stone, and that he confessed. He will be charged in Lowell District Court, though police say his motive was not hatred.

"Unless this gentleman is lying to us -- and I don't believe that he is -- he didn't even know this restaurant was affiliated with people from Iraq," said Lowell police Superintendent Kenneth Lavallee.

The suspect, a New Hampshire man who will not be identified until he is arraigned, will be summonsed to court to face a charge of breaking glass in a building, a misdemeanor.

Patrick Scanlon, a Vietnam veteran and coordinator of Veterans for Peace who organized the show of support, voiced skepticism that hate wasn't involved, but said it was nonetheless important to show support for the family that had been hit hard by fear.

Owner Leyla Al-Zubaydi and her father Ahmed Al-Zubaidi said their family was terrified the vandalism was fueled by hate. Ahmed Al-Zubaidi said the incident drove his wife to tears, and prompted her to question whether the family should close the restaurant. The show of support from veterans and the community drove her to tears of joy last night, he said.
"This solidarity gives us the courage to stand," said Al-Zubaidi. "There is no more fear in my heart because there are such nice people behind us."

Scanlon had pledged to fill every seat of the restaurant, but by 8 p.m., Leyla Al-Zubaydi said more than 100 people had eaten in the restaurant, which seats about 50.

Lavallee said the man who threw the stone will be arraigned at a date to be determined.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Vets fight hate
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »
A truly fine gesture by the vets.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 05:30:50 pm »
Damn it no.  They're supposed to hate Iraqies.  That's why we were over there right?  Cause we have to hate those who hate us right?  Right!?

On the whole, a little bit of heartwarmingness in this otherwise cold winter.

Ironbite-good for them.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:35:22 pm »
Nice.

So, the culprit claims he didn’t know the owners were Iraqi. Has he made a claim as to what his motivation actually was, or is he saving that for court?
-A Pen Name

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:41:47 pm »
A nice piece of news to have, indeed. Nice to see people doing good things for others.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!