Author Topic: HBD  (Read 16364 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: HBD
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2016, 12:01:22 pm »
However, in fairness, there was another professor who legitimately did say that.  Though he later claimed he was joking.

Quote from: Adam Kotsko
"In reality, I do not hold that view, nor does anyone else in the entire damn world. Why did I say it, then? I was in dialogue with an obviously bad-faith interlocutor on the subject of race, who clearly wanted to bait me into saying something “offensive,” and out of frustration, I decided I’d give them something to cry about and say something really “offensive” — scare quotes intended. My assumption was that the claim was so obviously hyperbolic that the sarcasm would be immediately evident.”

And yes, in the context it's not only believable but almost obvious he was sarcastic. What I disagree with him, though, is that there almost certainly are some lunatics that really do believe that.

Edit:
If you want someone on the left who really does hold hideous opinions and promotes mass death just look up Pertti Linkola.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:03:24 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2016, 12:15:07 pm »
However, in fairness, there was another professor who legitimately did say that.  Though he later claimed he was joking.

Quote from: Adam Kotsko
"In reality, I do not hold that view, nor does anyone else in the entire damn world. Why did I say it, then? I was in dialogue with an obviously bad-faith interlocutor on the subject of race, who clearly wanted to bait me into saying something “offensive,” and out of frustration, I decided I’d give them something to cry about and say something really “offensive” — scare quotes intended. My assumption was that the claim was so obviously hyperbolic that the sarcasm would be immediately evident.”

And yes, in the context it's not only believable but almost obvious he was sarcastic. What I disagree with him, though, is that there almost certainly are some lunatics that really do believe that.

Edit:
If you want someone on the left who really does hold hideous opinions and promotes mass death just look up Pertti Linkola.

I'm willing to believe that he may have been joking, but I'm not going to judge either way until I know more.

And wow, you weren't kidding about Mr. Linkola.  That guy is sick.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:30 pm »
Eugenics got off to a daft and primitive start, which has kind of fucked the entire concept.

A simple process of embryonic screening could do away with heritable diseases within a generation.  All that euthanising the handicapped and sterilising unwed mothers stuff you 'merkins copied off the Nazis before your unfashionably late entry into the war was just unnecessary.

Doesn't stop most of your population basically being rejected extras from Deliverance, mind...

...and the moment they find genetic correlates with things that are not, in fact, diseases, but still socially undesirable? Or are you going to argue that 21st century society is so enlightened we could never do something stupid with that? Because I think that goes against your shtick.

Oh I think we definitely have found a genetically heritable condition that's considered socially undesirable.  Luckily, modern academics like Noel Ignatiev are already working a final solution to this problem.

omg you're the cutest.

Of course you can't actually, y'know, make an argument, that would be lowering yourself to my level. Instead, you try to deflect into yet another attack on a prog academic, based on you falling for cheap controversy tactics* and then buying wholesale a story coming from the white nationalist equivalent of The Onion.

And people wonder why I haven't banned you yet.

*Noel Ignatiev: "We must abolish the white race!... by which I mean white privilege is bad, something any 14-year-old with a tumblr account could tell you, but this way I get more attention"
Σא

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2016, 08:02:16 pm »

And people wonder why I haven't banned you yet.

Is it because he's cute?

I thought it was because it was like boxing with Thalidomide babies. Don't worry his mum will revoke his internet privileges soon enough.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2016, 08:15:50 pm »
Conty's trolling used to be fairly entertaining and occasionally he engaged in actual constructive debate. It seems to me he is either losing his touch or I've just got tired of his schtick.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2016, 08:30:42 pm »
No, no he's still got it. There's the classic combo of trolling and an atom thin skin. For guffawing at his latest moral panic Conty pondered whether my chuckling was secretly motivated by my moral support for white genocide.

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 03:04:45 pm »
Who what where?

I had to look it up myself. Noel Ignatiev is a critical race theorist infamous for promoting the idea of "abolishing whiteness and the white race", which apparently involves criticizing white people, from what I could tell.

This is a misconception. It's not "white people" as in people of European descent, but the concept of "whiteness".

White as a name for a group of people did not exist until the Bacon Rebellion in the 17th century, and not even all people of European descent were counted as "white" then. Actually the concept of "white" has changed so many times in history that you know it's BS. There is no scientific basis for it.
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 03:08:23 pm »
Who what where?

I had to look it up myself. Noel Ignatiev is a critical race theorist infamous for promoting the idea of "abolishing whiteness and the white race", which apparently involves criticizing white people, from what I could tell.

This is a misconception. It's not "white people" as in people of European descent, but the concept of "whiteness".

White as a name for a group of people did not exist until the Bacon Rebellion in the 17th century, and not even all people of European descent were counted as "white" then. Actually the concept of "white" has changed so many times in history that you know it's BS. There is no scientific basis for it.

I was referring less to the ideal he's aiming for and more towards his actions in achieving said goal, which mostly seem to involve criticizing white people. Again, from what I could tell with an extremely cursory analysis.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.