Author Topic: Thread Killer  (Read 750589 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Thread Killer
« Reply #2445 on: December 05, 2014, 01:37:00 pm »
Well, first you have to remember that many, many Biblical scholars believe that much of Genesis is metaphorical and/or influenced by Mesopotamian mythology.

The crux of the problem here is that Christianity depends on a literal account of Genesis for the concept of sin -- especially the concept of original sin -- to make any sense. I don't take the Bible seriously, so I don't believe in sin. All the promises, threats, and gotchas of Christianity immediately fall apart from there.

YECs like Ken Ham at least acknowledge this problem as the reason they are forced to interpret Genesis literally.

Wrong.  You can believe in Original Sin without taking Genesis literally.

Please explain how that makes any sense. I would love to hear these mental gymnastics.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2446 on: December 05, 2014, 02:37:02 pm »
Well, first you have to remember that many, many Biblical scholars believe that much of Genesis is metaphorical and/or influenced by Mesopotamian mythology.

The crux of the problem here is that Christianity depends on a literal account of Genesis for the concept of sin -- especially the concept of original sin -- to make any sense. I don't take the Bible seriously, so I don't believe in sin. All the promises, threats, and gotchas of Christianity immediately fall apart from there.

YECs like Ken Ham at least acknowledge this problem as the reason they are forced to interpret Genesis literally.

Please explain how that makes any sense. I would love to hear these mental gymnastics.

Simple: human beings are imperfect sinners by nature, so Jesus's death on the cross redeemed the sin inherent in humanity.  The worst parts of human nature are the real original sin, at least the way I see it.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2447 on: December 05, 2014, 02:51:49 pm »

Simple: human beings are imperfect sinners by nature, so Jesus's death on the cross redeemed the sin inherent in humanity.  The worst parts of human nature are the real original sin, at least the way I see it.

The glaring problem in that interpretation (among others) is the restriction to human beings. We evolved from nonhuman ancestors; does this "sin" concept extend to other animals? The way population genetics works means we almost certainly descended from a population rather than a bottleneck of two human individuals; is there anything original about what they did that Christianity automagically solves?

From what I can tell, your alleged messiah allegedly was sacrificed for nothing. Christianity has fundamental problems with its concept of sin and redemption and I don't regard it as anything more than making up vague threats and then promising a vague solution.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2448 on: December 05, 2014, 04:41:10 pm »
Anyone notice our newest member?

Ironbite-bet he's a fundie here to give us the TRUTH! and lead us to the glory of god.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #2449 on: December 19, 2014, 05:03:01 pm »
"As head of public relations, Mr. Stark, might I suggest a new corporate spokesperson? Someone a bit less controversial than Iron Man? Why don't I contact Bill Cosby's agent...?"

- Iron Man #231

Oof.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2450 on: December 21, 2014, 03:08:28 am »
If you ever feel bad just rember that reddit created a petition to ban the Holy bible from Target.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2451 on: December 21, 2014, 03:33:08 am »
If you ever feel bad just rember that reddit created a petition to ban the Holy bible from Target.
Does Target even carry Bibles? I used to work there and I never... Oh. Oh my god, that's the best thing I've seen all week!
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2452 on: December 21, 2014, 08:56:40 am »
Does Target even carry Bibles? I used to work there and I never... Oh. Oh my god, that's the best thing I've seen all week!

I think Target Australia might carry them.  From what I've heard, it's different from the American Target.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #2453 on: December 21, 2014, 01:45:33 pm »

I think Target Australia might carry them.  From what I've heard, it's different from the American Target.
I checked the website. They don't, but you're free to compare them to the Nazis anyway.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2454 on: December 21, 2014, 03:22:24 pm »

The petition was a satirical one created in response to a successful petition that lead to GTA V being pulled entirely from the Australian branch of Target. As the original petition stated that GTA V was a sexist, racist, and violent game and thus unsuitable for public sale, the new petition retaliated by pointing out the sexist, racist, and violent content of the Bible and demanded equal treatment of media.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #2455 on: December 21, 2014, 04:23:30 pm »

The petition was a satirical one created in response to a successful petition that lead to GTA V being pulled entirely from the Australian branch of Target. As the original petition stated that GTA V was a sexist, racist, and violent game and thus unsuitable for public sale, the new petition retaliated by pointing out the sexist, racist, and violent content of the Bible and demanded equal treatment of media.
They are treated equally at Target though, neither one is sold. If it was another retarded ban by the Goverment desighned to protect the children it would have made sense.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:32:06 pm by I am lizard »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2456 on: December 21, 2014, 04:54:45 pm »
Ahh yes the nanny state of Australia where they won't let you buy a "violent" video game on Australian shores but you can sure as hell import a version that'll play in your console and they can't even see it being shipped in.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2457 on: January 03, 2015, 10:53:41 pm »
Today I learned: Tycho Brahe lost part of his nose in a duel with Manderup Parsberg over a mathematical disagreement.

Because apparently, at some point in history, it was perfectly reasonable to argue math using swords.
Σא

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2458 on: January 03, 2015, 11:19:47 pm »
Oh how I miss that part of history.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast