Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111854 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #285 on: April 04, 2016, 01:19:09 am »
The thing is that this article created two topics on a 40k group that immediately turned into shitfests where people laughed at the writer and complained about SJWs.

http://latining.tumblr.com/post/141567276944/tabletop-gaming-has-a-white-male-terrorism-problem

I think the title is slightly wrong, I'm not sure how much truth there is in the article (that court case might be something that can be verified or proven false at least, I think?) but the point remains that there really are horrible people in gaming circles and claiming that everyone who complains should grow a thicker skin is not going to help anyone.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2016, 09:53:37 am »
I'm not sure how much truth there is in the article (that court case might be something that can be verified or proven false at least, I think?)

Just what I was thinking. Even a little bit of proof would be nice, especially when making easily verifiable claims like "I won a precedent-setting court case". Without it, it's just a bunch of claims from one person, and while I have no reason not to believe her, I have no reason to believe her either.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2016, 10:29:39 am »
“Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed!” he chuckles in glee. The Warhammer 40K gamers at the table behind him take up the refrain. “Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed! Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed!”

I run.

Uuuh.....I understand Americans are a unique people, but I refuse to believe that even the most spergy card-game fans would just start chanting "Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed" at some kid.

Even Then

« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2016, 10:37:46 am »
I envy your optimism.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #289 on: April 04, 2016, 10:49:41 am »
This topic started a thread on a Finnish  RPG related Facebook group. Some showed disbelief, many sympathized and after a while the mod started a new thread for these kinds of experiences where only women were allowed to comment (although anyone who wants to remain anonymous can tell their story to a mod and ask them to post it in the thread) and many of the stories are scary even though not every woman has faced chauvinism or harassment in RPG circles.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2016, 11:26:32 am »
Yeah, those stories are eye-opening. In my gaming group the gender ratio is about 50/50 and if the less active members who only occasionally show up are counted the clear majority are females. Since almost all of us also know each other outside the hobby and get along very well there have been no problems with sexual harassment - in those rare cases where sexual content comes up in a game it is dealt with in a mature way. I guess in addition of the male privilege this also puts me in a bubble where I don't encounter the creepy kind of players.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2016, 03:08:12 pm »
Reddit has more info on this case: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4d9zdw/everyone_deserves_to_play_games_and_be_protected/

One of the two owners of the company that was named came out and said that the writer made claims to them and when they offered to react and punish the people who harassed her she refused to provide names or any kind of evidence.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2016, 03:46:18 pm »
Reddit has more info on this case: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4d9zdw/everyone_deserves_to_play_games_and_be_protected/

One of the two owners of the company that was named came out and said that the writer made claims to them and when they offered to react and punish the people who harassed her she refused to provide names or any kind of evidence.

Considering how many stories she recounted were one Albert Einstein cameo away from a post in r/thatHappened, I'm not surprised.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:09:01 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2016, 04:03:09 pm »

Well, that isn't suspicious at all.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #294 on: April 04, 2016, 05:21:24 pm »
Donald Trump's election in a nutshell

This was the top rated comment on this video.

Yeah it's not the most insightful comment, but it's accurate and hilarious.

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #295 on: April 04, 2016, 05:52:05 pm »

That's funny, because I'm seeing very little additional info. Evidence that /r/boardgames is full of the exact kind of assholes the author was trying to denounce (EDIT: the apologist kind, just to be clear, not the rapey kind), sure, but the sample isn't nearly large or clean enough to prove her general point.

Don't get me wrong, her actual accusations seem blurry at best and highly dubious at worst. It feels less like an autobiographical anthology and more like a series of anecdotes that may/did/could have happend to her or any other woman, compiled in order to Make a Point. I mean, you can't trust anything you read on the Internet, right?

Quote from: "Anti-SJW" Tumblr user blimblethings
Gonna have to call bullshit on this one as the owner of Wyrd Miniatures responded.
*snip*
TL;dr despite copious incidents and apparently police being informed not one shred of evidence has been seen or any action taken

Riiiight. There's absolutely nothing suspicious about this response given by one of the company's founders. I'm sure that crazy SJW really intended for him personally to stand responsible for "the whole of gaming and geek society", and for herself to become "the Woman's Ambassador to Gaming" (blatant Anitard signal boost, right there!). The throwaway comment about female employees vastly outnumbering males doesn't really call for any kind of proof or elaboration. And I don't see any reason to doubt his claim that they have been harassed over the entire year by an entire cabal of radflakes with unsubstantiated legal threats.

Maybe this verbal pummelling and personal embellishment was merely a way for Wyrd Miniatures to try and communicate their sincerity to those who would instantly believe it anyway. Or maybe there's actually a part of truth in the OP's accusations against them. I don't know. But these geniuses over at Reddit and Tumblr sure did, with more certainty than the SJWs they hate so much, and without even bothering to ask themselves the question.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:09:11 pm by Murdin »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #296 on: April 05, 2016, 12:50:13 am »
Yeah, in another group people have already mentioned how suspicious the reply from Wyrd seems but so far it's one person's word against another person's word.

Honestly, there's not enough proof for me to decide who is right and I do know that women get harassed in RPG circles so this is possible, but some of the stuff did seem exaggerated so I'm just not sure. If nothing else at least it worked as a great topic starter in the Finnish group (and drove me away from couple other sites where it popped up due to the way it was received there...)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #297 on: April 08, 2016, 11:45:18 am »
Just Say No

He took offense.
It started out in college. You know, just experimenting with it. But he liked it. He liked how it made him feel.
For a while it was just recreational — weekends and parties and rallies and that kind of thing. But soon he was hanging out with some pretty hard-core users, with the kind of people who took offense all the time. They didn’t need a reason or an excuse, it was just what they did. It was who they were. Soon he found he couldn’t get through the day without it.
Over the years he even learned to grow his own, to take the tiniest seeds of umbrage and nurture them into full-grown pretexts for outrage. The good stuff.
Some of his old friends tried to stage an intervention — to convince him that he had a problem, that his whole life had become consumed by his addiction.
He didn’t respond well. He just took more offense — right there in front of them.
Addicts, he told them, are always chasing diminishing returns. They’re always needing more and stronger drugs to provide an ever-smaller high. But the stuff he was taking didn’t work like that. His highs just kept getting stronger and stronger no matter how flimsy or insignificant the reason.
You’re not trying to help me, he screamed at them. You’re just jealous. And he yelled at them some more, trying to get them to take offense too.
They wouldn’t touch it, of course, and just left quietly, looking sad. He took a hit of offense at that and sat back on the couch. They think I’ve got a problem, he thought, but they’re the ones with a problem. Ohh. He inhaled deeply. Yes, yes that’s it. His eyelids fluttered. It’s because I’m better than them, better than all of them …
Four days later his landlord called the police, saying there was an offensive smell drifting into the hallway. They found him there on the couch.
The official report from the medical examiner said it was an overdose.

Even Then

« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2016, 10:19:53 am »
Quote from: tumblr user feralsaarebas
Fam you can slap as many big shiny words as you want on it shoplifting is a crime that hurts retail workers, like me

WE get in trouble because selfish, middle class teenagers who want a chuckle nab hundreds of dollars worth of stuff without paying- then we, the staff, either get blamed for STEALING IT or get blamed for letting someone steal it. We get in trouble because Suzy just HAD to have those designer jeans, or that bronzer, or that bottle of jack. I don’t judge people who steel food too heavily because I get it, you need to eat, I don’t like it but you do what you gotta. But defending theft as some ‘radical’ stick it to the man movement is bullshit.

You’re not hurting the man/the bourgeoisie/the 1%, you’re hurting the people on the ground who are trying to make an honest living and NEED their jobs.

Fuck off with your false sense of entitlement and fuck you for making this post to try and ease your guilty conscience.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #299 on: April 21, 2016, 01:41:18 pm »
you do realise that we only have this one persons word for it, right? i could make a video saying i was molested by my 60yr old female boss, and no proof but, wait that is a female supposedly having bother with a male boss...so... it fits with the narrative.... Shit now i get it. Go patriarchy.....i mean boo patriarchy.

Since we are not sitting in judgment on a jury, it is fair to evaluate the question based on the limited information we have. I have done this with anecdotes of people on the other side, if that is helpful, treating what they say as almost hypothetical in nature when establishing individual guilt is not the question, but rather answering the question. If we are unable to make these basic accommodations for each other we cannot discuss these issues.

The good quote being the latter.