Author Topic: Shake up at Microsoft over Windows 8  (Read 3473 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Shake up at Microsoft over Windows 8
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:08:20 am »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: Shake up at Microsoft over Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:12:51 am »
The problem is when these people are so driven to be "innovative" that they lose insight on functionality, practicality, and convenience.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:04:33 am »
To be fair, Metro makes Ribbon look like the most intuitive UI ever created.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:36:49 pm »
Well, this will surely end well.

Saturn500

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:09:12 pm »
To be fair, Metro makes Ribbon look like the most intuitive UI ever created.

Yeah, I mean, I've actually been able to figure Ribbon out. And at least it's, oh, I dunno, organised, which is more than I can say for the cluttered mess which is Metro.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »
*still fumes over spending a semester learning how to use Microsoft Office pre-Ribbon, only to have to deal with Microsoft Office post-Ribbon in the very next semester*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:40:10 pm »
Ribbon confused the fuck out of me, but it's really just the same thing with new layout. But the fallout from it really felt like "SOMETHING CHANGED? EVERYBODY PANIC!"
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:36:41 am »
The menu change for MS office was hard to figure out? Are... are you serious?

Is this really going to be the thing people freak out about with Windows 8?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:19 am »

Don't you know? When things change, it's time for panic! [/sarcasm]
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:51 pm »
Someone observed that Microsoft may be facing an operating system curse; every other one sucks:

Windows 98 was good
Windows 2000 sucked
Windows XP was good
Windows Vista sucked
Windows 7 was good
Windows 8 sucks

Fortunately, this just means that the next one will be good.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 04:25:17 pm »
I thought Windows 2000 was an operating system for servers? It morphed into Windows NT.

Though that leaves the question why DOS was good, Windows 3.0 was fine, Windows 95 was fine. 98 was much better. XP was a huge pain in the ass since it had nearly no backwards compatibility for programs, meaning none of my games would run. Vista was basically XP with some improvements, better backwards capability, and that terrible waste of RAM. 7 I haven't had enough experience with, but I like the new setup for the toolbar.

The thing that gets me is that everyone heralds the end of Windows with every new operating system, when usually most of the errors are either user based or very small. I think the largest issue I've had is the backwards capability of XP, while Vista RAM thing was annoying but not dooming.

And why does everyone sit around for the downfall of Microsoft? Um, Mac isn't better and there's a lot of externalities that are good to having only one or two major OSes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:29:46 pm by Material Defender »

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »
I thought Windows 2000 was an operating system for servers? It morphed into Windows NT.

Though that leaves the question why DOS was good, Windows 3.0 was fine, Windows 95 was fine. 98 was much better. XP was a huge pain in the ass since it had nearly no backwards compatibility for programs, meaning none of my games would run. Vista was basically XP with some improvements, better backwards capability, and that terrible waste of RAM. 7 I haven't had enough experience with, but I like the new setup for the toolbar.

The thing that gets me is that everyone heralds the end of Windows with every new operating system, when usually most of the errors are either user based or very small. I think the largest issue I've had is the backwards capability of XP, while Vista RAM thing was annoying but not dooming.

And why does everyone sit around for the downfall of Microsoft? Um, Mac isn't better and there's a lot of externalities that are good to having only one or two major OSes.
Basically. Everyone I know who's had issues with Windows are the kind of people who click links with expired antivirus software and wonder why their computer takes 5 minutes to boot or load Firefox (at least none of them still use IE). It's a big part of why I don't think anyone should be using computers unless they know basic maintenance (same thing with cars and household appliances, this shit ain't hard).
Basically, if Windows is too hard, buy a Mac. You have to try to fuck those up (or customize), and can't fix anything without tech support anyways. Pay your $1500 for the logo and go bother someone else.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:01 pm »
One thing worth noting: 2000 didn't become NT, NT became 2000. (The 2000 splash screen at boot said something like "Built on NT Technology".) 2000 was essentially NT for personal computers. (And compared to everything I heard about ME, it was pretty good.)

And I never had that issue with old games not running on XP (well, there was one, but it was an MS game and they released a patch). That is why I highly dislike 64-bit versions, though, because they didn't bother to write in backwards compatibility for 16-bit software (and why I suspect they still have a 32-bit version for 8--there's no way businesses would upgrade otherwise).

As for Vista, IIRC it wasn't "XP with improvements" because XP was very good. It was MS realizing "Oh crap, we need to get a new OS out or we'll lose some tiny fraction of our dominating market share!"
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:03:05 pm »

Don't you know? When things change, it's time for panic! [/sarcasm]

Normally I would agree with this, but there is on major, glaring difference between the change to Metro and the change to Ribbon.

Functionality!

If your UI breaks third party software than it must not be either fixed or removed! PERIOD. AMEN. CLOSE THE BOOK. To the very day, if using the Metro interface, I have to manually search or browse to a program’s directory because certain programs are not listed!

For fuck’s sake, I expect this kind of crap from Linux.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 11:13:19 pm »
And I never had that issue with old games not running on XP (well, there was one, but it was an MS game and they released a patch). That is why I highly dislike 64-bit versions, though, because they didn't bother to write in backwards compatibility for 16-bit software (and why I suspect they still have a 32-bit version for 8--there's no way businesses would upgrade otherwise).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't 64-bit operating systems supposedly allocate memory more effectively?  Or is that just a marketing myth?

I agree that the lack of 16-bit compatibility is quite annoying.

As for Vista, IIRC it wasn't "XP with improvements" because XP was very good. It was MS realizing "Oh crap, we need to get a new OS out or we'll lose some tiny fraction of our dominating market share!"

Yeah, and Win7 was Micro$oft saying "oh shit, Vista is a great big shit sandwich, let's fix up the mistakes we should have fixed in Vista before Release to Manufacturing!"
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil