Author Topic: Mormon Church Admits Joseph Smith had 40 Wives  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Mormon Church Admits Joseph Smith had 40 Wives
« on: November 15, 2014, 08:18:21 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/mormon-church-admits-founder-joseph-smith-had-40-013800819.html

(Reuters) - The Mormon church has said that founder Joseph Smith married about 40 women including a 14-year-old and others who were already the wives of his followers, having publicly portrayed him over the years as lovingly committed to one woman.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has tried to gloss over aspects of its history, including the polygamy practiced by Smith and Brigham Young, who helped found Salt Lake City, Utah, the headquarters of the Mormon church.

"Joseph married many additional wives and authorized other Latter-day Saints to practice plural marriage," a church essay entitled "Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo" said, noting that "careful estimates put the number between 30 and 40".

The church has been widely criticized for its treatment of women, black people, who it barred from the higher priesthood until 1978, and gays, who were banned from its temples if they were sexually active.

Smith's wives were mostly between the ages of 20 and 40, but Helen Mar Kimball, the daughter of close friends, was "sealed" to him several months before she turned 15.

One woman is enough.  I can't imagine having to handle 39 others.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Mormon Church Admits Joseph Smith had 40 Wives
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 09:17:25 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/mormon-church-admits-founder-joseph-smith-had-40-013800819.html

(Reuters) - The Mormon church has said that founder Joseph Smith married about 40 women including a 14-year-old and others who were already the wives of his followers, having publicly portrayed him over the years as lovingly committed to one woman.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has tried to gloss over aspects of its history, including the polygamy practiced by Smith and Brigham Young, who helped found Salt Lake City, Utah, the headquarters of the Mormon church.

"Joseph married many additional wives and authorized other Latter-day Saints to practice plural marriage," a church essay entitled "Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo" said, noting that "careful estimates put the number between 30 and 40".

The church has been widely criticized for its treatment of women, black people, who it barred from the higher priesthood until 1978, and gays, who were banned from its temples if they were sexually active.

Smith's wives were mostly between the ages of 20 and 40, but Helen Mar Kimball, the daughter of close friends, was "sealed" to him several months before she turned 15.

It's really too bad the LDS church started out in an era of rampant literacy and information sharing. They need to do what Christianity did and impose a dark age for a thousand years so that the evidence of con-artistry mysteriously disappears...
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:22:31 pm »
Ahh the Church of Later Day Con-Men.

Ironbite-oh how I wish Skyfire would come back.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »

It's really too bad the LDS church started out in an era of rampant literacy and information sharing. They need to do what Christianity did and impose a dark age for a thousand years so that the evidence of con-artistry mysteriously disappears...

1.  The causes of the Dark Ages and Christianity had a tenuous relationship at best.

2.  Christianity also started in a time of rampant literacy and information sharing.

3.  "The evidence mysteriously disappeared"?  Do you also think 9/11 was an inside job?

Ahh the Church of Later Day Con-Men.

Ironbite-oh how I wish Skyfire would come back.
Skyfire sounds like he was quite the character.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:51:56 pm »

3.  "The evidence mysteriously disappeared"?  Do you also think 9/11 was an inside job?

Was that SERIOUSLY called for? Shut your fucking mouth.  I'm sick and tired of you, and those like you, running your damn mouth and sniping at will.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:23:56 pm »

Was that SERIOUSLY called for? Shut your fucking mouth.  I'm sick and tired of you, and those like you, running your damn mouth and sniping at will.

Take it to Flame and Burn. I'm sure there's a topic there very suited for your inarticulate rage. I don't think telling people to shut up is conducive to discussion.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:10:46 am »
Hey, anyone see Skyfire elsewhere? I'm rather curious as to how he's handling this revelation. For my part, I was wondering what took them so long. At any rate, it's done now.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 01:08:38 am »
Hey, anyone see Skyfire elsewhere? I'm rather curious as to how he's handling this revelation. For my part, I was wondering what took them so long. At any rate, it's done now.
As I recall, he posts on some Transformers fan site.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 02:24:50 am »
The Allspark, if I remember correctly.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:37:25 am »
And he's banned from Politics and Religion so it means nothing to bait him

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 09:21:15 am »

Am I missing something here? This response and UP's response don't seem to go together.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 04:31:24 pm »
Mormons' permitting a man to have multiple wives, and the Muslim promise of 72 virgins in paradise both strike me as very generous; but they suggest a rather tenuous grasp of human physiology.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.