Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1643410 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #2070 on: February 26, 2013, 12:59:42 am »
...the word "White" is said all of three times.  Four if you count "Non-White".

I think maybe you're a little sensitive :P

It's partly the mention of "White."  The attitude of the people in the comic really gets to me, too.  There's also quite a bit of snark in the Hispanics' and blacks' faces.  I don't think it's cool.  I'm not saying it doesn't have good points.  I'm just saying that it has a shitty way of conveying them, IMO.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2071 on: February 26, 2013, 02:42:28 am »

It's partly the mention of "White."  The attitude of the people in the comic really gets to me, too.  There's also quite a bit of snark in the Hispanics' and blacks' faces.  I don't think it's cool.  I'm not saying it doesn't have good points.  I'm just saying that it has a shitty way of conveying them, IMO.

... well, how should it be conveyed, according to you?

I mean, if you're a person of color (yeah, yeah, inb4 "soshul justice" bashing) who gets tired of explaining why these excuses of wrong, you'd be tempted to make those expressions too.

Oh, and the person who made this comic, Barry Deutsch, is almost certainly white himself.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

• The Beast
« Reply #2072 on: February 26, 2013, 02:45:33 am »

I mean, if you're a person of color (yeah, yeah, inb4 "soshul justice" bashing) who gets tired of explaining why these excuses of wrong, you'd be tempted to make those expressions too.

Oh, and the person who made this comic, Barry Deutsch, is almost certainly white himself.

Point being?  I don't care what his race is. It doesn't make me happier about the way the message is being conveyed.

As far as the first question goes:  I dunno.  Perhaps there's no way to say the shit this comic is saying delicately.  However, if the author was able to discuss his thinking and respond to criticisms, then maybe I'd feel a bit better.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2073 on: February 26, 2013, 02:51:11 am »

Point being?  I don't care what his race is. It doesn't make me happier about the way the message is being conveyed.

As far as the first question goes:  I dunno.  Perhaps there's no way to say the shit this comic is saying delicately.  However, if the author was able to discuss his thinking and respond to criticisms, then maybe I'd feel a bit better.

There are plenty of people who already respond to the kinds of arguments he addresses in the comics. He's a cartoonist. His intention was mocking them, not writing a thesis paper to take each one down.

I would also like to point out that he was not mocking you or I for being white. He was mocking some white people for using cliched excuses.

This is like a theist seeing a comic that mocks common creationist arguments and thinking it's a mean, condescending attack against him specifically. Just because you're a theist doesn't mean you're a creationist or put forth dumb arguments, but the dumb creationist arguments are the things being mocked, not theism.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #2074 on: February 26, 2013, 02:37:00 pm »

There are plenty of people who already respond to the kinds of arguments he addresses in the comics. He's a cartoonist. His intention was mocking them, not writing a thesis paper to take each one down.

I would also like to point out that he was not mocking you or I for being white. He was mocking some white people for using cliched excuses.

This is like a theist seeing a comic that mocks common creationist arguments and thinking it's a mean, condescending attack against him specifically. Just because you're a theist doesn't mean you're a creationist or put forth dumb arguments, but the dumb creationist arguments are the things being mocked, not theism.

I can see how privilege comes into play here.

Part of the problem being that those who have privilege rarely ever realize it much less acknowledge it.

And for that don't have it, privilege is glaringly obvious.  So to them, how can anyone NOT have noticed it?!

Which often means that those without privilege angry at the other for being willfully obtuse.  And the privileged side gets defensive because they think they are being unfairly attacked.

Look,  the fact is people DO use those arguments.  Whether any certain individual has used that argument is not relevant.  Others have used them and those arguments are designed to buttress a system where White people benefit and others do not.

And NO, a person does not have to personally be racist to benefit a racist privilege.  That's part of what makes it so insidious.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Distind

« Reply #2075 on: February 26, 2013, 03:10:41 pm »
Remember that whole not using privlege like a bat to bean people with thing. That.

Otherwise this happens.

Frankly I'm not exactly impressed with it either, I've seen the same argument so many times... I'm not going to say it lost all meaning, but mostly because it didn't have a whole lot of meaning in the first place. Privilege is not being the victim of discrimination. Which boggles my mind when people call privilege the problem.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #2076 on: February 27, 2013, 01:26:14 am »

I thought this was "Best Political Cartoons," not "Bash On Whitey."

I have conservative relatives who have made all of these arguments (except the liberal one).
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #2077 on: February 27, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »

I have conservative relatives who have made all of these arguments (except the liberal one).

I honestly can't see anything wrong with asserting that white people are also the target of racism and that it should be included in the discussion of racism.
Is there any way in this cartoon to be a white person and not have to feel like a terrible human being for it?
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2078 on: February 27, 2013, 04:42:32 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I honestly can't see anything wrong with asserting that white people are also the target of racism and that it should be included in the discussion of racism.
Is there any way in this cartoon to be a white person and not have to feel like a terrible human being for it?

This looks like something drawn by a tumblr SJW.  If you're a cracker, just shut the fuck up and let everyone walk all over you, because you're white, and therefore don't deserve to so much as exist, much less speak.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2079 on: February 27, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »
It's funny cause amptoons have posted other comics that almost everyone has agreed with.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #2080 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:01 pm »
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2081 on: February 28, 2013, 12:55:41 am »

• The Beast
« Reply #2082 on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:37 am »

So sequestration is like a ticking time bomb?  Does Mickey represent the idea that it's part of an evil world domination part by Disney?

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2083 on: February 28, 2013, 01:43:51 am »

So sequestration is like a ticking time bomb?  Does Mickey represent the idea that it's part of an evil world domination part by Disney?

Mickey Mouse is used as a pejorative term to describe a small time operation or an inadequate/half-assed job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse#Pejorative_use_of_Mickey.27s_name

So I assume in this case, it means dysfunctional politics have set the time bomb to sequestration.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

• The Beast
« Reply #2084 on: February 28, 2013, 02:56:42 am »

Mickey Mouse is used as a pejorative term to describe a small time operation or an inadequate/half-assed job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse#Pejorative_use_of_Mickey.27s_name

So I assume in this case, it means dysfunctional politics have set the time bomb to sequestration.

However, in parts of Australia it can mean excellent or very good.

Lol, Aussies!