Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1643117 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #2355 on: May 11, 2013, 12:54:10 am »

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #2356 on: May 11, 2013, 02:16:16 am »
But should there be reforms, AND THERE WILL BE, EVENTUALLY, this little pansy boy will be in his proper place...in helpless submission to the MIGHTY JUSTICE....after being sliced up a bit!

Leadership actually is working on it, at least in the Air Force.  It's going to take a while, though.  It's definitely a culture change, and it's hard to make it happen overnight.  The top brass can mandate all the punishment and correction they want, but until the mid-level leadership starts reporting and enforcing those rules, things won't change.

But there is work being done.  Last December, there was a mass clean-up from the Pentagon on down of lewd and racy material.  No more pin-ups in the office.  No more "morale images" on the computers.  No more pictures that objectify women in the workplace.  That's actually a big step in making it less acceptable.

We have mandatory training on how to respond to sexual harassment.  The focus used to be on teaching women to avoid being harassed.  Now it's just as much on men (and women) confronting others to stop it.

There's still a ways to go.  The recent cases show that a lot of our leadership isn't taking the problem seriously.  But the change is started.  Officers are being trained up now to report these cases.  Eventually, they'll be the ones in charge of squadrons, groups, and wings.  They'll be the ones who deal with this crap.  And the Airmen are learning to say, "Hey, man, cut that shit out."

So, yeah.  I think the leadership is making the right move.  It's not going to happen overnight, as much as we'd like it to.  And it's a shame it's taken this long to deal with the issue.  But at least the process is started.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2357 on: May 11, 2013, 02:50:18 am »
Bennet is quickly becoming one of my favourite political cartoonists.

After thinking about this one I am going to have to agree with the cartoonist. Not only did people put all kinds of impossible goals and hopes for Obama they also forgot about the rest of the political system.

Obama's presidency has had a lot of failings. Some because of him and others because the Rebublicans have been doing their best to stop him from doing anything.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #2358 on: May 11, 2013, 03:09:35 am »

One shouldn't hear a political cartoon, one must feel it like a powerful silent punch to the metaphorical heart.

If you have to play out a conversation in a political cartoon or have things egregiously label, well that's one of the mediocre ones.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2359 on: May 11, 2013, 11:23:04 am »
Bennett is something far beyond a great cartoonist; an image poet for justice.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #2360 on: May 11, 2013, 11:57:54 am »
I love Bennett's cartoons, he has to be hands down my favorite political cartoonist.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2361 on: May 11, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
But should there be reforms, AND THERE WILL BE, EVENTUALLY, this little pansy boy will be in his proper place...in helpless submission to the MIGHTY JUSTICE....after being sliced up a bit!

Leadership actually is working on it, at least in the Air Force.  It's going to take a while, though.  It's definitely a culture change, and it's hard to make it happen overnight.  The top brass can mandate all the punishment and correction they want, but until the mid-level leadership starts reporting and enforcing those rules, things won't change.

But there is work being done.  Last December, there was a mass clean-up from the Pentagon on down of lewd and racy material.  No more pin-ups in the office.  No more "morale images" on the computers.  No more pictures that objectify women in the workplace.  That's actually a big step in making it less acceptable.

We have mandatory training on how to respond to sexual harassment.  The focus used to be on teaching women to avoid being harassed.  Now it's just as much on men (and women) confronting others to stop it.

There's still a ways to go.  The recent cases show that a lot of our leadership isn't taking the problem seriously.  But the change is started.  Officers are being trained up now to report these cases.  Eventually, they'll be the ones in charge of squadrons, groups, and wings.  They'll be the ones who deal with this crap.  And the Airmen are learning to say, "Hey, man, cut that shit out."

So, yeah.  I think the leadership is making the right move.  It's not going to happen overnight, as much as we'd like it to.  And it's a shame it's taken this long to deal with the issue.  But at least the process is started.

AWESOMESAUCE!

LADY JUSTICE WIELDS HER SWORD!....

Also, I've always had the impression that The Air Force was the least macho of the Armed Forces. That's a good thing & it's good that they're really beginning to deal with this issue.

MACHO = WEAK & WIMPY!

Nothing is more unmanly, pathetic, ridiculous, pitiful, useless, stupid & weak than "Hyper-Masculine Machismo".

Plus...AIRPLANES ARE COOL!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #2362 on: May 11, 2013, 02:25:47 pm »

Nothing is more unmanly, pathetic, ridiculous, pitiful, useless, stupid & weak than "Hyper-Masculine Machismo".

Don't tell that to Coelasquid!
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #2363 on: May 11, 2013, 05:14:55 pm »
Yup, that's a common protestant thing. The key is that, in Martin Luther's time, "good deeds was a code for obeying the pope and giving to the church. Seeing as it was all politicized and corrupt, Luther instead said salvation came from faith alone. In other words, it originated from a rejection of corruption, but has now become an excuse.

Ah yes the "in principle and in practice" deal.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #2364 on: May 12, 2013, 12:50:35 am »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2365 on: May 12, 2013, 01:01:29 am »
Another 10!

Hmmm...blow that whistle, and ya blast hot air right up your nose.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #2366 on: May 12, 2013, 01:23:48 pm »
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2367 on: May 13, 2013, 03:51:42 am »
If that's meant to be Mitt Romney, that cartoon is quite unfair to his dad, George Romney, who was a good man and I won't hear a bad word said about him.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #2368 on: May 13, 2013, 04:12:30 am »
If that's meant to be Mitt Romney, that cartoon is quite unfair to his dad, George Romney, who was a good man and I won't hear a bad word said about him.
I'm guessing the 1% badge is supposed to mark that cigar guy represents the wealthiest 1%.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #2369 on: May 13, 2013, 08:31:19 am »

It is meant to be Mitt Romney-ish, but it is not meant to represent a literal father-son relationship. It is portraying a certain breed of politicians, represented by Mitt Romney, as the "Jesus" of the Job Creator Trinity - acting out the will of the wealthy in the world of the working class.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.