Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1641504 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #2625 on: July 09, 2013, 07:04:24 pm »

Presented without comment.
I'm already starting to think Zimmerman wasn't a racist as much as just paranoid about those "Crazy Gangsta Teens" walking around.

Same here. I never really assumed he was a racist. In fact, I tend to assume that barring evidence otherwise, people aren't consciously racist.

I assumed the commentary from the simple race-switch is less on Zimmerman's racism and instead the reaction of people to the incident.  Namely, a lot of people rushing to Zimmerman's defense and accusing Martin of being a thug and a thief, despite evidence to the contrary.

If the race was switched, there'd be a hell of a lot more people calling for Black!Zimmerman's head.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2626 on: July 09, 2013, 09:39:45 pm »

Presented without comment.
I'm already starting to think Zimmerman wasn't a racist as much as just paranoid about those "Crazy Gangsta Teens" walking around.

Same here. I never really assumed he was a racist. In fact, I tend to assume that barring evidence otherwise, people aren't consciously racist.

I assumed the commentary from the simple race-switch is less on Zimmerman's racism and instead the reaction of people to the incident.  Namely, a lot of people rushing to Zimmerman's defense and accusing Martin of being a thug and a thief, despite evidence to the contrary.

If the race was switched, there'd be a hell of a lot more people calling for Black!Zimmerman's head.

Hell, half the "arguments" I've seen for Zimmerman's innocence is, "But Trayvon was a big, scary black man! It was totally reasonable for Zimmerman to assume he was a n****r thug burglar!"
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2627 on: July 09, 2013, 10:15:54 pm »

Not to mention the influence it would have had on the police investigation immediately following the shooting.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2628 on: July 09, 2013, 10:47:15 pm »
That, too.  Zimmerman would've been in jail and on trial months ago.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #2629 on: July 09, 2013, 11:20:47 pm »
I would also rather have someone like Obama in office than some fundie lunatic!

About this whole surveillance scandal of doom. This might provide a different angle:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/06/have-we-all-been-fooled-by-edward-snowden/

Let's just say, Snowden is not "One Of Us". In fact, he sounds like a total Tea-brained asshat!

I would rather have Obama than a fundie loon, but I'd rather have someone who actually abides by the Bill of Rights all the time over Obama. The Obama DOJ has continued defending the Bush-era warrantless NSA wiretapping program, with a suit brought by lawyers representing Gitmo detainees having been bounced out of the courts since they couldn't prove their communications were intercepted because the courts ruled that the information on what communications the NSA intercepted were classified. So it didn't shock me much to find out that the NSA under Obama has found a brand new way to illegally spy on American citizens.

It doesn't matter if Snowden is a democrat disappointed in Obama, a republican who thought it was OK when his party did it, or a nutter who believes Obama is one of the lizard people. What matters is that the information he leaked was true and that what our government is doing isn't kosher.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2630 on: July 10, 2013, 12:15:53 pm »
I would also rather have someone like Obama in office than some fundie lunatic!

About this whole surveillance scandal of doom. This might provide a different angle:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/06/have-we-all-been-fooled-by-edward-snowden/

Let's just say, Snowden is not "One Of Us". In fact, he sounds like a total Tea-brained asshat!

I would rather have Obama than a fundie loon, but I'd rather have someone who actually abides by the Bill of Rights all the time over Obama. The Obama DOJ has continued defending the Bush-era warrantless NSA wiretapping program, with a suit brought by lawyers representing Gitmo detainees having been bounced out of the courts since they couldn't prove their communications were intercepted because the courts ruled that the information on what communications the NSA intercepted were classified. So it didn't shock me much to find out that the NSA under Obama has found a brand new way to illegally spy on American citizens.

It doesn't matter if Snowden is a democrat disappointed in Obama, a republican who thought it was OK when his party did it, or a nutter who believes Obama is one of the lizard people. What matters is that the information he leaked was true and that what our government is doing isn't kosher.

I understand. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression on everything. I thought the info might shed some light on this Snowden guy, why he did it & the implications.

That said, I agree that the spying thing is spooky. However, I read from an article on Blue State Journal (a progressive news source) that, like police searches, that these spy things require using warrants. The point is, while we should show concern, an alarmist attitude of pure paranoia & terror will only mess us up.

Do I trust the Government blindly? No!

Do I think Obama is perfect? No!

Do I think Bush Jr., SOPA, PIPA & whatnot are the bee's knees? HELL NO!

That said, I'm just trying to be careful & prudent. The media does have a tendency to report scary stuff either real or imagined and making folks go nuts with terror. I'm sick of being scared! I'm sick of alarmism! FDR once said, "We have nothing to fear but Fear itself". Too much fear is bad for one's health & sanity.

Fears okay, within reason but fear has become like an epidemic. It's dumb.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #2631 on: July 10, 2013, 10:28:24 pm »

Not sure if it goes here, it's not exactly political, I guess, but it has a good point.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2632 on: July 11, 2013, 12:34:18 am »

Not sure if it goes here, it's not exactly political, I guess, but it has a good point.

The story of my life, right there folks.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2633 on: July 11, 2013, 05:10:16 am »
Shame it doesn't mention the part where you then make a social mistake, get mocked, and get firmly convinced your anxieties were right in the first place.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2634 on: July 11, 2013, 06:49:58 am »
Shame it doesn't mention the part where you then make a social mistake, get mocked, and get firmly convinced your anxieties were right in the first place.
Well it was a parody, mocking the idea that people with anxieties should get over them just by uh... well they never really explain how you should overcome them, just that you should "be social" as if that's magic.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2635 on: July 11, 2013, 07:52:09 am »
Well it was a parody, mocking the idea that people with anxieties should get over them just by uh... well they never really explain how you should overcome them, just that you should "be social" as if that's magic.

Yeaaaaaaaah...if it weren't for a combination of medication and actual, REAL therapy from an actual fuckin therapist, I'd probably -still- be an anxiety-ridden wreck, even today.  If Big Pharma is helping me NOT panic at the idea of talking to people, even my own family, then...erm...hooray for Big Pharma?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2636 on: July 11, 2013, 09:40:09 am »

Yeaaaaaaaah...if it weren't for a combination of medication and actual, REAL therapy from an actual fuckin therapist, I'd probably -still- be an anxiety-ridden wreck, even today.  If Big Pharma is helping me NOT panic at the idea of talking to people, even my own family, then...erm...hooray for Big Pharma?

Same here. Sure, overdiagnosis and overmedication are issues, but tossing the baby out with the bathwater isn't the answer.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2637 on: July 11, 2013, 10:35:00 am »

The story of my life, right there folks.

I think I have had this exact conversation with my dad.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2638 on: July 11, 2013, 11:33:05 am »

Offline Silhouette

• Neonate
  • Something clever belongs here...
« Reply #2639 on: July 11, 2013, 03:05:21 pm »

WTF should I put here?!               was gaptt