Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1643380 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3045 on: December 16, 2013, 01:30:43 am »
We can't have people thinking Israel cares about something other than itself, now can we?

Also, if you're a critic of the policies of the state of Israel, you're an anti-semite, but we have no idea from whence this new wave of anti-semitism comes.

Also, you have to justify your criticism of us to us (because we get to decide what is a non-bigoted level of criticism).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3046 on: December 16, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »
Its sad, really.  No human is above being able to be called out on their idiocy...not me, not the Pope, not Israel's government, nobody.

Then again, they'd probably consider me insane for daring to treat all humans as equals.

Remember children, you can simultaneously be FOR equality while still treating other people like lesser lifeforms.  I know I'm one to talk, but...how do I humility?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #3047 on: December 17, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »
Really? Scandinavia really is quite an incredibly wonderful place. I don't mean to belittle Israel; you're (they're?) way better on this stuff than Australia. But I don't think that, for instance, Israel has anywhere near the Gini of, say, Sweden. Not to mention labour relations law!

Israel is less liberal and more leftist. And they've moved to the right since they were founded. But Israel's first prime minister, David Ben-Gurion, was friendly with Ho Chi Minh. In fact, Israel is probably not that far off from what Vietnam could have been if the US had supported Vietnamese independence.

Also progressive except Palestine and African refugees

I won't disagree that Israel's treatment of the African refugees has been atrocious.

Also, if you're a critic of the policies of the state of Israel, you're an anti-semite, but we have no idea from whence this new wave of anti-semitism comes.

I've not seen much of that sentiment, actually. A common opinion is that holding Israel to a double standard while not demanding the same from other countries (particularly the Arabs) is anti-Semitism. I think this idea has merit, but it gets murky, and can be used to try to whitewash Israel's actions. But merely criticizing Israeli policies is not anti-Semitism. If it were, then the entire Israeli left are anti-Semites.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3048 on: December 17, 2013, 10:36:52 pm »
First of all the double standard is more that the west gives Israel a free pass while condemning other countries.  Like we condemn the Chinese for doing the exact same thing in Tibet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3049 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:21 pm »
I've not seen much of that sentiment, actually. A common opinion is that holding Israel to a double standard while not demanding the same from other countries (particularly the Arabs) is anti-Semitism. I think this idea has merit, but it gets murky, and can be used to try to whitewash Israel's actions. But merely criticizing Israeli policies is not anti-Semitism. If it were, then the entire Israeli left are anti-Semites.

Also, another issue with that argument is that Arabs are not a homogenous group, and Palestinians have experienced racism in other Middle Eastern nations because they are essentially refugees. Shifting the blame back on "Arabs" (which is hard to define in this case, because some people use it as a buzzword for Palestinians or even Middle Easterners in general) demonizes them while refusing to understand the complexity of the situation, erases Palestinians of their own identity and experiences in other nations, and is a distraction from the fact that the root cause of the Palestinian refugee crises is Israel's and only Israel's actions, not the actions of Jordan or Lebanon or whosoever.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #3050 on: December 17, 2013, 11:21:56 pm »

Also, another issue with that argument is that Arabs are not a homogenous group, and Palestinians have experienced racism in other Middle Eastern nations because they are essentially refugees. Shifting the blame back on "Arabs" (which is hard to define in this case, because some people use it as a buzzword for Palestinians or even Middle Easterners in general) demonizes them while refusing to understand the complexity of the situation, erases Palestinians of their own identity and experiences in other nations, and is a distraction from the fact that the root cause of the Palestinian refugee crises is Israel's and only Israel's actions, not the actions of Jordan or Lebanon or whosoever.

I disagree. The Palestinian refugee crisis, in my opinion, stems primarily from bad luck. The Palestinians left in 1948 primarily because they didn't want to get caught in the middle of a warzone, which I find to be a perfectly rational response. They figured they'd come back after the Arab armies had crushed the Jews. Unfortunately for them, their side lost. Another problem is that they didn't keep extensive records of who owned what, so returning their property isn't a cut-and-dry issue.

The Arabs (primarily the Syrians and Lebanese) do get some of the blame for exacerbating the refugee crisis, by refusing to let the refugees assimilate. I should point out that the Jordanians DID let them assimilate, which is another reason why I like Jordan.

There's a lot of outdated rhetoric floating about on both sides. While some of the Arab nations did historically use Israel as a boogeyman, Syria and Hezbollah (and Iran, although they're not Arabs) are the only ones doing it now. The Arab people do care strongly about the Israel/Palestinian conflict, but their governments are actually more inclined to back Israel against Syria or Iran these days. If the conflict were to be resolved soon, I think you'd see Israel, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia forming a new power bloc to counter Iran.

Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3051 on: December 17, 2013, 11:31:55 pm »
Or Iran decides fuck it and quits

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #3052 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:04 pm »

Thanks for the explanation re: leftism and liberalism. I think I probably agree.

As for this above bit, I totally disagree. That's basically the only tactic of the entire (powerful) "Jewish Lobby"*; if you disagree with us, you're an anti-semite. Doesn't work in Israel, of course, because accusing Jews of anti-semitism is lunacy in a country full of them, but it works well in the West. Who wants to be called a Nazi? So you censor your even-handed documentary on Ariel Sharon or you vote to send over some more illegal cluster munitions, but you forget about it because if you had believed you had been forced by a powerful Israeli-funded lobby to send illegal cluster munitions to Israel, you'd be an anti-semite, wouldn't you?

As for the double-standard thing: I've yet to see it. AIJAC et al often accuse Israeli critics of anti-semitism on the grounds that it is unfair to criticise Israel at all, since it is not The Worst Country In The World. Ignoring the obvious point that they criticise a bunch of countries- not all of them can be The Worst Country In The World after all- this is an invalid ad hominem attack anyway. You don't have to be The Worst Country to do something wrong. Is it right to blockade Gaza or wrong? This should be argued on the merits. Just because AIPAC says everyone who disagrees must be an anti-semite does not make it right.

Now, why is Israel in particular a big issue in the left? Who cares? Are they right or wrong? That's all that matters. I think they're mostly right.

* I think a better term is Likud Lobby, firstly because they don't represent most Jews, secondly because they don't represent the interests of Israel and thirdly because they do insist everyone march in lock-step with Netanyahu et al, or you're an anti-semite. Even if you're Jewish, you're an anti-semite if you disagree with Netanyahu, AIPAC or the AIJAC.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3053 on: December 18, 2013, 12:03:46 am »
I have seen Jews be called no true jew for being anti Israel

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #3054 on: December 18, 2013, 12:41:53 am »
I have seen Jews be called no true jew for being anti Israel

Or not even anti-Israeli, just critical of Zionism or the actions of the IDF. That's enough to prove a Jew is actually a self-hater, to be critical of Ariel Sharon.

-FDR

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #3055 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:31 am »
I guess I haven't run into that type on the Internet. And in RL, my yarmulke makes a pretty effective shield against accusations of anti-Semitism. But for the record, I do dislike Netanyahu. I would prefer to see Tzipi Livni in power (or for Ariel Sharon to recover from his coma). And I do support a two-state solution. For that matter, I don't think a one-state solution is an option at all. The only one that would be remotely feasible would be Israel annexing the West Bank and Gaza (or just ignoring Gaza) and evicting the Palestinians, which would be ethnic cleansing.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #3056 on: December 18, 2013, 08:13:46 am »
I actually, to a certain degree, understand Israeli politicians' conundrum. The Palestinians aren't negotiating a compromise position- they're demanding their absolute rights, recognised under international law. That means that the Israelis are going to be giving up a lot- chiefly land, forcing Israelis to leave, ect- in return for nothing they don't already have. That's without a military defeat, mind; they're giving it up in the interests of international peace and long-term stability, not any hard short-term objective fact. They're basically forcing a million people out of their homes for charity. A pretty unappealing prospect electorally! Particularly when they're armed political extremists that make up your base (if you're Bibi or Sharon).

Also, I disagree about Sharon. I don't know much about his domestic policy, but I do have a good idea of his military record; it sucks. Total blowhard, Patton-lite, with a side of mass-murder.

-FDR

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #3057 on: December 18, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #3058 on: December 18, 2013, 10:31:43 pm »
Also, I disagree about Sharon. I don't know much about his domestic policy, but I do have a good idea of his military record; it sucks. Total blowhard, Patton-lite, with a side of mass-murder.

He's also the guy who broke with his own party to enact the Gaza pullout, which some predicted could lead to civil war.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3059 on: December 18, 2013, 10:55:06 pm »
Ariel Sharon had a dreadful military career, but his career as leader was much greater. I think Israel has really gone downhill since they lost him.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!