Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1643572 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3135 on: January 20, 2014, 03:26:17 pm »
It's neither.  It's against soulless music that's more manufactured than created.  Notice the "too many cooks spoil the broth" message.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3136 on: January 20, 2014, 03:45:07 pm »
It's neither.  It's against soulless music that's more manufactured than created.  Notice the "too many cooks spoil the broth" message.

Yeah, I think you're giving it too much credit. Its a popular belief that modern music is only lazy manufactured pop, while old music is better. Notice that every time one of these images pops up, its taking a modern pop song and comparing it to, usually, classic rock. Even then, I doubt its entirely accurate to say that Bohemian Rhapsody only had "one writer, one producer" because, while Mercury holds the writing credit, it can probably be assumed that, due to Queen being a band, the rest of the band had input into the song.

It is a valid criticism to say that pop music is often manufactured garbage, but this is a comparison of false equivalency.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:47:18 pm by Waldorf X »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3137 on: January 20, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »
Yeah, I think you're giving it too much credit. Its a popular belief that modern music is only lazy manufactured pop, while old music is better. Notice that every time one of these images pops up, its taking a modern pop song and comparing it to, usually, classic rock.

It is a valid criticism to say that pop music is often manufactured garbage, but this is a comparison of false equivalency.
I'm with you on that, to a point.  However, it's been scientifically shown that music is getting more and more similar.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #3138 on: January 20, 2014, 03:48:55 pm »
Yeah, I think you're giving it too much credit. Its a popular belief that modern music is only lazy manufactured pop, while old music is better. Notice that every time one of these images pops up, its taking a modern pop song and comparing it to, usually, classic rock.

I'm with you on that, to a point.  However, it's been scientifically shown that music is getting more and more similar.

Yeah, do you have a citation for that? Or are you just spouting off more uneducated criticisms of pop music that ignores that there is more to music than pop music?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3139 on: January 20, 2014, 03:52:26 pm »
I did some looking, and it turns out you were half right.  I was misremembering the article in question, thinking it was about music in general, rather than pop music specifically.  But it does back up my claims:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/07/27/pop_music_is_getting_louder_and_dumber_says_one_study_here_s_what_they_miss_.html

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #3140 on: January 20, 2014, 04:00:15 pm »
No, it really doesn't. Historically speaking, pop music has always been lazy, recycled and manufactured.  Modern pop music being slightly less creative than old pop music doesn't really mean anything as manufactured pop being uncreative is nothing new and means nothing. Do you know why we tend to not remember pop music from the 50s and 60s? Because people stopped caring about it when it stopped being relevant. The same thing will happen to modern pop music. Its a repeating cycle that just shows that pop music will only be remembered as long as its relevant.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3141 on: January 20, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »
No, it really doesn't. Historically speaking, pop music has always been lazy, recycled and manufactured.  Modern pop music being slightly less creative than old pop music doesn't really mean anything as manufactured pop being uncreative is nothing new and means nothing. Do you know why we tend to not remember pop music from the 50s and 60s? Because people stopped caring about it when it stopped being relevant. The same thing will happen to modern pop music. Its a repeating cycle that just shows that pop music will only be remembered as long as its relevant.
Oh, I didn't know that.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3142 on: January 20, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »

I think the "message" is actually racist, as much as age-ist. And it is invalid to compare songs from disparate genres and eras.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3143 on: January 20, 2014, 04:09:48 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3144 on: January 20, 2014, 04:18:19 pm »

Broken link, dude.
Well, I can see it just fine.  But I'll post an Imgur link.

Better?

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #3145 on: January 20, 2014, 04:30:17 pm »

The bus.

Everybody hates the motherfucking things.

In all seriousness nuclear power doesn't produce H2O; internal combustion engines do.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3146 on: January 20, 2014, 04:47:16 pm »

The bus.

Everybody hates the motherfucking things.

In all seriousness nuclear power doesn't produce H2O; internal combustion engines do.

I don't know, have you tried going on an airplane recently? Freaking security checks and such, and to top it off most airlines have recently decided to add one more seat to each row, meaning even less room.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3147 on: January 20, 2014, 04:55:15 pm »
Yeah, public transport has gotten worse.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3148 on: January 20, 2014, 05:21:39 pm »
Nuclear power plants vent excess H2O steam not needed for their steam turbine generators via those big cooling towers. The plutonium rod stacks that are lowered into the water pool that heats the separated steam power source water never stop putting out heat, so the excess system Cooling water steam, that goes out the Cooling towers, yeah.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3149 on: January 20, 2014, 05:34:48 pm »
That cartoon is disingenuous.  I assume it's supposed to be pro nuclear.  Even if you argue that meltdowns are rare, you still have to deal with the issue of nuclear waste.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.