Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1642364 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3165 on: January 21, 2014, 11:39:09 am »
The thing is many people are worried and seeing as Japan fucked it up that their power corps couldn't handle it
That too unless maybe you have a really good breeder reactor

Yes and no; in America, we've had a "Nuclear Panic" since the...60's, maybe the 50's.  It comes from a gross misunderstanding of the value of nuclear power, and leads people to completely ignore the progress we've made in the generations since nuclear power first became viable.  We can do it, its just that we're hamstrung by a tonne of ass-dragging simpletons who, like the more familiar neo-cons, bleat the same tired bullshit they've been saying for decades without any actual fact checking.  Once again, its a case of a few morons fucking the rest of us over.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3166 on: January 21, 2014, 12:25:49 pm »
I think the "message" is actually racist, as much as age-ist. And it is invalid to compare songs from disparate genres and eras.
I'm not sure where you are getting racism from.

Well Beyonce is black while Freddie Mercury is Indian but was often mistaken as white, so this might be implicating that Beyonce's song is... Dumber because she is black (and possibly others who worked on the song as well.)

Then again, I think it could be just another complaint about how "modern" music is stupid and simple. Which is blatantly false as there have been simple silly songs since the creation of music and you'd find similar examples of complexity and quality from any era and genre.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3167 on: January 21, 2014, 12:31:30 pm »
I think the "message" is actually racist, as much as age-ist. And it is invalid to compare songs from disparate genres and eras.

Well Beyonce is black while Freddie Mercury is Indian but was often mistaken as white, so this might be implicating that Beyonce's song is... Dumber because she is black (and possibly others who worked on the song as well.)

Then again, I think it could be just another complaint about how "modern" music is stupid and simple. Which is blatantly false as there have been simple silly songs since the creation of music and you'd find similar examples of complexity and quality from any era and genre.

In of itself it isn't racist, but when you look at how often people compare X to Freddy Mercury, X is more often a black artist (the fact that Freddy isn't white not withstanding). Context and what not.

But I will also point out comparing something cross genre is ridiculous anyways. Esperanza Spalding wrote most of her song and become one of the few Jazz artist to win a Grammy. But if you tried to compare Esperanza to Freddy, people are just gonna be like "but she's no one" simply because they aren't familiar with the Jazz scene. Most of the folks doing these comparisons are generally white men* not exposed to the varieties of R&B. And for as much as people like to complain about Beyonce, she has left her mark on the music of America and to deny as such would be ignorant.

*Interestingly, I've yet to see a woman post the X vs. Freddy meme. Perhaps there's something to that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:56:57 pm by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3168 on: January 21, 2014, 02:53:56 pm »
If somebody thinks Busta Rhymes is a better rapper than Vanilla Ice, is he racist against white people?  No.  So why do you say musical preferences are indicative of racism?

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3169 on: January 21, 2014, 03:04:13 pm »
Just to chip in.  I've seen people compare Beiber to Queen.  If anything I'd say it's more of a symptom of hating on modern music/worshipping Queen.

On that note (as much as I like Queen), I think they're overrated as fucking hell.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3170 on: January 21, 2014, 03:26:49 pm »

I think folks make these complaints about music like that due to the ol' "Nostalgia Filter" (as TV Tropes called it). Actually all generations have had good, complex stuff & goofy stuff.

Heck, look at some of the "good stuff" of yore and the themes are simplistic dorkiness. Led Zeppelin was an amazing classic hard rock band and oft-cited as "the good stuff". But the lyrical themes of many of their tunes were on par with Warrant's "Cherry Pie" (Y'know, the 'Hey baby! Y'drive me crazy! Baby baby! Let's get sexy & roll in the hay, baby! etc.' stuff).

Likewise, the "good ol' days" were loaded with their own teeny-bopper, plastic pop schlock slop: Fabian, Pat Boone, The 1910 Fruitgum Factory, David Cassidy, Shawn Cassidy, The Osmonds, The DiFranco Family, Leif Garrett, Menudo, etc.

Even some good bands started off as basically "Boy Bands", yes, even THE BEATLES!

Taste is subjective and while some folks utterly adore stuff that's dorky & empty, I'll still respect their right to enjoy it. If someone's into jamming to the usual "New Insane Clown Fergies On The Nicklebackstreet Biebers" or reading "The Fifty Shades Of Edward Cullen's Nude Anita Blake Photo Collection", who am I to judge them as a person?

If I find someone's tastes goofy, I might express it but I wont obsess over hating on it to death. I have better things to do.

The above Beyonce lyrics are dorky but even John Lennon did the same thing once. Ever heard of John Lennon's protest anthem, Power To The People? Even he, after a while thought it was waaaaay too dorky, repetitive & simplistically written.

That said, Beyonce's girlpower anthem & Lennon's peacenik anthem were meant to be sort of something to get in your head as an earworm (I confess Beyonce did a stupider job, even Lennon added some variations, plus Beyonce's song seems more 'female-supremacist' than 'feminist').

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3171 on: January 21, 2014, 03:36:55 pm »
Okay.  Thanks for enlightening me, everybody.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #3172 on: January 21, 2014, 04:48:55 pm »
(as much as I like Queen), I think they're overrated as fucking hell.

Oh, absolutely. They'll never rock as much as Ohio Express.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3173 on: January 21, 2014, 06:23:55 pm »
If somebody thinks Busta Rhymes is a better rapper than Vanilla Ice, is he racist against white people?  No.  So why do you say musical preferences are indicative of racism?

But when you consistently say every such and such black artist is always worse than such and such white artist as mater of fact then yes it's probably racist as it usually stems from the idea that black music is inferior to white music. What part of "context" did you not understand? It's one thing to say x suck in comparison to y it's another to sweepingly say all things related to x are inferior to y.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3174 on: January 21, 2014, 07:11:13 pm »

But when you consistently say every such and such black artist is always worse than such and such white artist as mater of fact then yes it's probably racist as it usually stems from the idea that black music is inferior to white music. What part of "context" did you not understand? It's one thing to say x suck in comparison to y it's another to sweepingly say all things related to x are inferior to y.

Remind me again where there was consistent degradation of black artists in comparison to white artists anywhere in this thread.  I think we're starting to get off topic.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3175 on: January 21, 2014, 08:52:49 pm »

Remind me again where there was consistent degradation of black artists in comparison to white artists anywhere in this thread.  I think we're starting to get off topic.

Are you people not capable of reading? The subject of race was added before I got to this thread. It was expanded that the meme had racist usage. I opined that the meme in of itself isn't racist but people use it for racist means. Do you get it or are you just anal that someone seem to be defending Beyonce over Freddy? The post was already off topic (why are we posting music tastes in a political cartoon thread).

Bah typing on the phone and eating is a futile effort.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:21:56 pm by gyeonghwa »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3176 on: January 21, 2014, 10:23:56 pm »
I thought the most familiar of these memes used Jimi Hendrix as the archetype old musician to compare against. Which isn't fair anyway because Jimi was a left hand musical fucking genius. He was also probably a once in several generation master/virtruoso over his chose instrument - the electric guitar. Even when he was making music there wasn't many others running around with his technical mastery. Outside of classical music that level of technical proficiency is fucking rare.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3177 on: January 21, 2014, 11:56:18 pm »
I've noticed with music black guys do t first then white  people do it and get all the credit

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3178 on: January 22, 2014, 12:27:42 am »
I've noticed with music black guys do t first then white  people do it and get all the credit
That used to be the case.  Then rap happened.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3179 on: January 22, 2014, 01:03:07 am »

Well there has been a bit of that in the US - Al Jolson and Elvis Presley being prime examples. Although I think you will fine that plenty of black artists get plenty of credit to - Cab Calloway, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Chuck Berry etc.

Then again sometimes it is more complicated - take for instance rap/ hip hop - probably started essentially by Grand Master Flash - but then along come guys like the Beastie Boys - who then give Public Enemy (PE opened for the Beasties - their first gig was as support for the BBoys) their first shot - but then you have Tupac and Dr Dre - and after Tupac dies Dr Dre  gives Eminem a shot.

But then again - unless your Wagner music should not be about race