Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1643195 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #4065 on: July 03, 2014, 10:52:47 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4066 on: July 04, 2014, 12:07:34 pm »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4067 on: July 04, 2014, 12:39:20 pm »
Don't we have some sort of military protection agreement with Japan?  Like, if they were to be attacked, we'd come to their aid?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #4068 on: July 04, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »
South Korea has apparently already sunk under the water.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4069 on: July 04, 2014, 04:24:31 pm »
Don't we have some sort of military protection agreement with Japan?  Like, if they were to be attacked, we'd come to their aid?
I think the idea is that Abe wants Japan to have a true partnership with America.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #4070 on: July 04, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »

Yeah. Basically the US subsidises Japan's defence by stationing troops there, in return for money.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4071 on: July 04, 2014, 08:16:30 pm »

Yeah. Basically the US subsidises Japan's defence by stationing troops there, in return for money.
I think Abe wants Japan to be able to stand on its own two feet.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #4072 on: July 04, 2014, 10:45:35 pm »
It's not as if Abe wants to end the US-Japan alliance. Japan has been slowly moving towards ending the arrangement where the US stations troops in Japan. Instead, Japan would simply follow the model of most Western nations, relying primarily on its own troops for defense, but maintaining alliances with other nations. I think we'd see the closure of most US bases in Japan, with maybe a few to provide regional support, similar to our bases in Germany and Qatar.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4073 on: July 04, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »
It's not as if Abe wants to end the US-Japan alliance. Japan has been slowly moving towards ending the arrangement where the US stations troops in Japan. Instead, Japan would simply follow the model of most Western nations, relying primarily on its own troops for defense, but maintaining alliances with other nations. I think we'd see the closure of most US bases in Japan, with maybe a few to provide regional support, similar to our bases in Germany and Qatar.
Basically.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #4074 on: July 04, 2014, 10:49:18 pm »
Hell, Japan wouldn't even need to rely on US-made weapons. They did make just about everything they used in World War II - given some time, it would be well within their capability to develop a first-rate defense industry.

Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4075 on: July 04, 2014, 10:54:06 pm »
Hell, Japan wouldn't even need to rely on US-made weapons. They did make just about everything they used in World War II - given some time, it would be well within their capability to develop a first-rate defense industry.
That might help their economy.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4076 on: July 04, 2014, 11:01:29 pm »
...Sometimes making your own equipment is not the smartest idea.

I can't help but remember that the small arms of the Japanese military in WW2 were all bad. They had one LMG that was innovative and not completely horribly but the rest of their gear was just bad. They used rifle caliber guns in their airplanes which weren't powerful enough to be a credible threat to American airplanes and their tanks weren't really good either.

...This time I'm sure they could do much better (for example, I doubt that they don't insist on placing bayonets on machineguns these days...) but their last attempts to make their own guns did not go well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #4077 on: July 04, 2014, 11:02:48 pm »
...Sometimes making your own equipment is not the smartest idea.

I can't help but remember that the small arms of the Japanese military in WW2 were all bad. They had one LMG that was innovative and not completely horribly but the rest of their gear was just bad. They used rifle caliber guns in their airplanes which weren't powerful enough to be a credible threat to American airplanes and their tanks weren't really good either.

...This time I'm sure they could do much better (for example, I doubt that they don't insist on placing bayonets on machineguns these days...) but their last attempts to make their own guns did not go well.

Well, I imagine they'd start by buying US-made gear, then gradually transition to making their own equipment. We'd probably see Japanese-made aircraft and drones well before their own guns.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #4078 on: July 04, 2014, 11:11:58 pm »

The JSDF already has excellent equipment, much of which is made in Japan. Their diesel-electric submarines are particularly good.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4079 on: July 04, 2014, 11:47:25 pm »
Japan actually makes a fair bit of their current military equipment. Your just never hear about it because they refuse to export it and it doesn't get much use because of Japan's rather small military.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov