Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 633281 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #1590 on: January 22, 2013, 04:48:56 am »
Circle jerk?

Seriously?

I stand by my point about looking in a mirror before doing anything in the future.  Because you've really decided to make a complete ass out of yourself over this.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #1591 on: January 22, 2013, 05:06:10 am »
Circle jerk?

Seriously?

I stand by my point about looking in a mirror before doing anything in the future.  Because you've really decided to make a complete ass out of yourself over this.

Yeah, it's a fucking circlejerk.  Ten posts in a row basically coming up with a way to say "How can we identify as fans of the show without labeling ourselves with as 'bronies?'" to be a bit of a circle jerk.

I don't know about you, but I've always viewed the term "brony" as something that paints a picture of a person that only says "I'm a fan of MLP."  You guys then turn around and say "Oh hey!  Let's make a new label! "  You're basically saying that anybody who's a brony - or prefers to identify as one - is below you.  Sure, you may only be referring to only being better than the "unsavory" bronies, but that sure the hell doesn't come across to me in the past 10 or so posts before I said something.

Hell, I think a good analog would be choosing not to identify as an atheist because there's a lot of outspoken atheist jerks out there!  You still hold the same beliefs, or lack thereof, that an atheist does, but you sure the hell don't want to identify as one.  Rather than keeping calm and showing that labels don't define you one-dimensionally, you feel the need to choose another label such as agnostic (which isn't even mutually exclusive anyway).  Now doesn't that just make you feel warm and fuzzy, not having to associate with those damn atheist jerks?

You know, if you guys want to call yourselves "fimatics," be my guest.  I personally think it and its definition is an insult to the entire label "brony," but go ahead!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:12:24 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #1592 on: January 22, 2013, 06:07:18 pm »
Damn.  I see everyone's talking about creating a new label to distinguish themselves from the obnoxious, annoying, or generally "unsavory" parts of the fandom.  Pardon me, but I think using a separate label to distinguish yourself from segments of the fandom you don't like comes off as awfully pretentious and conceited.

Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #1593 on: January 22, 2013, 06:21:45 pm »
Y'know what? I'm a brony.  Semi-proud of it.  I write fic, I've actually tried my hoof at drawing... it's re-ignited my creativity, this show has.  If some of those fans don't like the bad rap 'brony' has gotten as a label (and I'll admit, it has in some regards), far be it from me to bitch at anypony else for wanting to distance themselves.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #1594 on: January 26, 2013, 11:10:03 am »
I hate to ask this, but I don't know where else to find anypony interested.  I broke down and got that iPhone app from Hasbro, and was wondering if anyone has a Gameloft account that I could add to my empty friendslist?  I'm The_L1985.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #1595 on: January 26, 2013, 11:20:49 am »
Don't have an ipod (that works) of late.  Sorry, L.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1596 on: January 26, 2013, 04:30:23 pm »
So, halfway through this episode, I got worried and thought "Oh shit, I'm going to hate this episode."

At the end of this episode, I smiled and said "I genuinely enjoyed this episode"

Spike learned his lesson almost entirely by himself (granted, prompted by an unknowing remark from Twilight Sparkle) and the humor was genuinely funny.

No letter to Celestia, but I'm okay with that.

It was interesting to see Tank again.

And of course, seeing Spike say "Angel" dramatically twice made me grin.  If you can guess why, congratulations, you made the connection.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #1597 on: January 26, 2013, 06:21:40 pm »
Tank is back? Oh good. I've been wanting to see him again. *mental note to watch episode when this movie is over*

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1598 on: January 26, 2013, 10:33:53 pm »
Angel is such an ass sometimes
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #1599 on: January 26, 2013, 10:37:03 pm »
Angel is the opening villain for season four.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #1600 on: January 27, 2013, 12:08:00 am »
Angel is the opening villain for season four.

Sadly, I'd completely believe this.

Formerly Priestling

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #1601 on: January 27, 2013, 12:18:09 am »
I'll go ahead and sum my thoughts on Angel the bunny: He's an asshole, plain and simple.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #1602 on: January 27, 2013, 12:25:44 am »
I'll go ahead and sum my thoughts on Angel the bunny: He's an asshole, plain and simple.
But he's so cute!

I liked this episode. Happy to see all the pets again, especially Tank. And I loved Rainbow Dash's interactions with him.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1603 on: January 27, 2013, 12:31:34 am »
Oh how I love Tank (Turtles are awesome and I cried for like an hour straight when I fount out Lonesome George died)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #1604 on: January 27, 2013, 02:05:01 am »
Angel is indeed an asshole. But the ending kind of shows even he's not entirely without a heart. Just mostly.

As for my thoughts on that whole argument thing that's been going on... I never really felt the need for labels, to be honest. If I'm a brony, it's because the term happens to describe something I am. And maybe it also describes other people who take it to extremes I never would, but so do terms like "human being". I don't think it's important enough to come up with an entirely new term--one that, if adopted widely, will eventually come to include many of the elements you find undesirable about the current label.

Rather than coming up with new labels every time one becomes "tainted", I think the far more productive solution is to try and educate those who see the term negatively. Just like not every human being is the same, the same is true of bronies. We're not carbon copies of each other. Just among the friendly members of this forum, we have a wide range of different kinds of brony. We have ones like me who only barely fit the term (the most heavily involved I am in the community is being the secret driving force behind The Crystal Empire, a large Steam group for bronies). On the other end of the spectrum, we have plenty of cloppers and such, too. And I'm fine with that. Even if I don't understand the appeal, I'm not going to begrudge the people who enjoy that sort of thing. I don't mind being called the same thing they are.

For the people who hate because they don't understand, new labels are just never going to accomplish anything. If anything at all can reach these types of people, it is sincere and reasoned discussion. We should be taking the lessons the show teaches not just for ourselves, but also to try and teach to others.