Author Topic: Thread Killer  (Read 750806 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Thread Killer
« Reply #2430 on: December 03, 2014, 09:58:35 am »
Well, first you have to remember that many, many Biblical scholars believe that much of Genesis is metaphorical and/or influenced by Mesopotamian mythology.

And even if it is taken as both literal and accurate, there are a lot of interpretations that can be made.  For example, many have pointed out that in Hebrew "good" and "evil" have much broader meanings.  Thus, some say that the fruit from the tree actually gave knowledge of pleasure and misery.  Furthermore, in this interpretation, "knowledge" might actually mean "experience".  Adam and Eve, of course, knew pleasure, but after eating the tree's fruit, they also knew misery. 

Of course, that's just one interpretation.  Ask ten Biblical scholars about the story's meaning, and you'll get eleven different answers, and that's with two abstaining.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #2431 on: December 03, 2014, 11:42:18 am »
So in short, nobody really knows what Genesis means.

Fortunately, there is an authority in the matter that we can look to for advice. What does the Patriarch of Constantinople say?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #2432 on: December 03, 2014, 11:51:40 am »
I was just looking for a way that it could be interpreted that wasn't horrible, out of curiosity more than anything else.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2433 on: December 03, 2014, 12:28:50 pm »
I was just looking for a way that it could be interpreted that wasn't horrible, out of curiosity more than anything else.

There are quite a few, actually.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #2434 on: December 03, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »
Which one of them do you personally prefer, UP? Serious question.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2435 on: December 03, 2014, 12:35:18 pm »
Which one of them do you personally prefer, UP? Serious question.

I think the "metaphor" idea is the best, but that's just my opinion.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2436 on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:29 pm »
Which metaphor? I like the metaphor that the fruit of the tree of knowledge is an hallucenigenic mushroom, and that God was not God but the Tribal Shaman. Who had warned the rest of the tribe against it because it tripped them the fuck out. How do you like that metaphor. In it there is no God so he can't appear like a douche. Which metaphor do you like which doesn't ascribe God to being in a position of a fuckwad?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2437 on: December 05, 2014, 12:48:47 am »
Which metaphor? I like the metaphor that the fruit of the tree of knowledge is an hallucenigenic mushroom, and that God was not God but the Tribal Shaman. Who had warned the rest of the tribe against it because it tripped them the fuck out. How do you like that metaphor. In it there is no God so he can't appear like a douche. Which metaphor do you like which doesn't ascribe God to being in a position of a fuckwad?

...But that is not a metaphor.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2438 on: December 05, 2014, 09:46:17 am »
I heard an alternate explanation for the fruit from the tree of knowledge.  Basically, it's that God planned all along to send them out of the garden “when they were ready”.  And in order to find out if they were independent enough to live on their own, He set up a test.  When they went against His orders (by eating the fruit) they were ready make their own decisions and live on their own.  Therefore, the fruit & getting kicked out wasn’t a punishment, it was a test, and they passed it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:07:19 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2439 on: December 05, 2014, 10:55:58 am »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but why does an omniscient being need tests?
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2440 on: December 05, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but why does an omniscient being need tests?

Well, there are some passages in the Bible that imply God doesn't always use His foreknowledge.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2441 on: December 05, 2014, 12:15:24 pm »
Why? Is he concerned about spoilers?
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2442 on: December 05, 2014, 12:20:32 pm »
Why? Is he concerned about spoilers?

I'm honestly not sure.

However, another possibility is that the test was more for them than for Him.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2443 on: December 05, 2014, 01:31:57 pm »
Well, first you have to remember that many, many Biblical scholars believe that much of Genesis is metaphorical and/or influenced by Mesopotamian mythology.

The crux of the problem here is that Christianity depends on a literal account of Genesis for the concept of sin -- especially the concept of original sin -- to make any sense. I don't take the Bible seriously, so I don't believe in sin. All the promises, threats, and gotchas of Christianity immediately fall apart from there.

YECs like Ken Ham at least acknowledge this problem as the reason they are forced to interpret Genesis literally.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2444 on: December 05, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »

The crux of the problem here is that Christianity depends on a literal account of Genesis for the concept of sin -- especially the concept of original sin -- to make any sense. I don't take the Bible seriously, so I don't believe in sin. All the promises, threats, and gotchas of Christianity immediately fall apart from there.

YECs like Ken Ham at least acknowledge this problem as the reason they are forced to interpret Genesis literally.

Wrong.  You can believe in Original Sin without taking Genesis literally.