Author Topic: Lefties Unite!  (Read 11783 times)

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
Re: Lefties Unite!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:55:20 am »
I'm left-handed too. Most of the time I use utensils or whatever the right-handed way, but a few years ago I found an awesome pair of 100% ambidextrous scissors. :D

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 07:06:18 am »
Lefty here.  Caught shit for it pretty much until high school (graduated in 93).  Had teachers actively try to force me to switch.  Since my dad had trouble accepting me for anything (when he was sober, he told me he loved me all the time when he was really drunk), he also gave me a lot of shit for it.  For example, my uncle had to teach me how to hold a bat, since my dad refused unless I took a righty stance.  I throw right because of this.  I also never learned to play guitar, even though both of my folks are accomplished players, because my dad refused to buy me a left handed guitar or even restring the right handed model that he bought me.  He even went so far as to take it away and "fix" it when my aunt restrung it for me.  I golf left, since he wasn't a golfer and didn't teach me.  I also fight left (if that makes sense).  That was the one area that he liked me being a lefty, since it confused him when he was teaching me to box.  He figured it would confuse "normal" people as well so encouraged me to learn everything backwards.

Our meals seating was specifically set up so that I had a spot where I wouldn't bump anyone, but on the occasions that we would get to go out to eat, I got first choice on seat.

Didn't help that we were dirt poor, so I learned early on that you didn't ask for anything special.  The good news is that I am not confused by right handed scissors and can use tools equally well with both hand.

Now I'm proud to be a lefty, of course.  My father in law is jealous because he was forced to switch as a child.  He writes, throws, golfs, etc right dominate, but gravitates to the left for new activities.  At least until the indoctrination takes over and then he switches (totally subconsciously).  He's 70 years old now.

ETA: I initially read the title as "lefties untie" and got all concerned because, you know, knots are tied tot he right!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:11:03 am by Bezron »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 08:44:40 am »
I'm left handed.

Never had any problems with it in school, I did hear stories from grandma about the treatment lefties got back then but it's not a big deal anymore. Also my first grade teacher was ambidextrous and since she could write with either hand she was also good at teaching lefties. The only time I remember having problems with being a leftie was in army since the sniper rifles were really awkward to use by a lefty. (Then again I only got one chance to use one.)

Also when I began sword fighting I found out two things about lefties:
1) We can be very annoying opponents since we are less common.
2) I always have a special place in a shieldwall.

Also it's harder to train since techniques have to be used differently and there is less material for lefties and even some instructors don't know how to teach us.

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 02:41:51 pm »
The hell happened to you?

Osteosarcoma.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 04:53:32 pm »

Story of your schooldays, Y/Y?
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 05:03:41 pm »
Yes. Though, my mark is more on my pinky and the lower knuckle, not the side of my hand.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 01:36:23 am »
The entire side of my hand is like that after a good bit of writing. I hate using pen because it smears like a mofo. Pencil does too, but not nearly as much.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Dan

• Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 04:06:32 am »
I think I'm the only person I know who uses a mouse left-handed. And I mean properly left-handed, with the buttons reversed.

Yet I've never bothered to do that with a trackpad.