Author Topic: Heartland Institute straight up says it wants to dissuade science teaching!  (Read 7382 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
The group who produced much of the spin behind the bogus "climategate" controversy have straight up said in an internal memo that they would like to dissuade teachers from teaching the science of climate change.

Development of our "Global Warming Curriculum for K-12 Classrooms" project.

Principals and teachers are heavily biased toward the alarmist perspective. To counter this we are
considering launching an effort to develop alternative materials for K-12 classrooms. We are pursuing a proposal from Dr. David Wojick to produce a global warming curriculum for K-12 schools. Dr. Wojick is a consultant with the Office of Scientific and Technical Information at the U.S. Department of Energy in the area of information and communication science.

His effort will focus on providing curriculum that shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and uncertain - two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science. We tentatively plan to pay Dr. Wojick $100,000 for 20 modules in 2012, with funding pledged by the Anonymous Donor.

Sad to say I can't say I'm particularly surprised.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
If you hadn't started a thread on it I was about to.

Yes they've been exposed for the lying scumbags they are, but will it have much of an impact on what Americans think of climate change? Or change what politicians do in response to this threat? It's 2012 and people are still treating the theory of evolution as "just another theory" that holds as much weight as Biblical Creationism. And the results of denying/ignoring climate change are far more dire than denying evolution. Just feeling pessimistic about this sad state of affairs even after the Heartland leak :-\

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
IIRC, didn't these people once say that cigarettes weren't addictive?

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
...Is their mission statement "kill all humans"?

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
...Is their mission statement "kill all humans"?
Bender runs the Heartland Institute?

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Watch these ninnies try to defend themselves.

http://blog.heartland.org/2012/02/heartland-institute-rebuts-outlandish-new-york-times-story-on-stolen-and-fake-documents/

EDIT:

Now they're trying to be tough guys

http://heartland.org/press-releases/2012/02/15/heartland-institute-responds-stolen-and-fake-documents

We respectfully ask all activists, bloggers, and other journalists to immediately remove all of these documents and any quotations taken from them, especially the fake “climate strategy” memo and any quotations from the same, from their blogs, Web sites, and publications, and to publish retractions.

The individuals who have commented so far on these documents did not wait for Heartland to confirm or deny the authenticity of the documents. We believe their actions constitute civil and possibly criminal offenses for which we plan to pursue charges and collect payment for damages, including damages to our reputation. We ask them in particular to immediately remove these documents and all statements about them from the blogs, Web sites, and publications, and to publish retractions.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:24:49 pm by Lexikon »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Absolute hypocrisy. A group that has spent the last three years pretending stolen emails contained anything remotely interesting turn around and cry defamation when their own (non-stolen) emails are posted online, showing legitimate, non-fabricated, misbehaviour on their part.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Protip: When you try to take legal action against random blogs for saying shit about you, it makes it look like you have something to hide.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
I'm curious about the veracity of the claims in the rebuttal.  I know a lot of people are against these guys here, but I'm genuinely curious, and wouldn't mind giving them a fair shake and humoring their clams.  Of course, that would require research, of which I neither have the time nor money to conduct properly.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
One has been confired fake (The Koch brothers one) and Heartland is trying to find out which other ones are fake, but I'm not sure if they confirmed any yet.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.