Author Topic: Physicists Produce a Transistor from a Single Atom  (Read 9660 times)

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Physicists Produce a Transistor from a Single Atom
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »
A team from Purdue University and the University of New South Wales have produced a transistor out of a single phosphorous atom.  The atom is encased in silicon and it's single free election is used as a switch to maker the on/off positions by measuring the electron's spin. 

If the team can put a number of this single election transistors (qubits) on a single chip they may be used to develop the first true quantum computer.

....it's fucking quantum man!

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/24/147356630/reaching-for-the-limits-of-tiny-transistors

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/02/sa-transistor/

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Art Vandelay

Re: Physicists Produce a Transistor from a Single Atom
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
Wow, and from my own uni, no less. I think we can expect stupidly powerful computers in the next decade or so.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:08 pm »
Wow, and from my own uni, no less. I think we can expect stupidly powerful computers in the next decade or so.

Yeah, but they'll be made by Australians.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:54:05 pm »

...And therefore you lot will be the ones paying more and dealing with arbitrarily later release dates for once. There's nothing about it that I don't like.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:05 pm »

...And therefore you lot will be the ones paying more and dealing with arbitrarily later release dates for once. There's nothing about it that I don't like.

The most likely outcome is that you guys will STILL get the tech like four months later than we do, even if it's manufactured and developed entirely in-country. And you'll pay 40% more for it. If anything, your government will see to it.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:19:25 pm »
Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe I should buy myself a metric fucktonne of US$ now while the exchange rate is so good.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 05:49:25 am »
So what, does this mean we're going to be seeing computers with 40 TB of RAM, 1000000 TB of hard drive space, and video cards that can render the highest quality renders in less than a second?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:33:36 am »
So what, does this mean we're going to be seeing computers with 40 TB of RAM, 1000000 TB of hard drive space, and video cards that can render the highest quality renders in less than a second?

No, well maybe the video thing.

The whole reason quantum computers as a big thing is because they can do calculations so fast.  Unlike standard computers, quantum computers can do multiple calculations at the same exact time.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:52:56 am »
The craziest computer concept I have ever encountered is the idea to use black holes. Encode the program into matter, throw it in the black hole, wait for it to evaporate and measure the Hawking radiation for the result. Highly theoretical, paradox-prone, and overall crazy.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:04:14 pm »
The craziest computer concept I have ever encountered is the idea to use black holes. Encode the program into matter, throw it in the black hole, wait for it to evaporate and measure the Hawking radiation for the result. Highly theoretical, paradox-prone, and overall crazy.

Not to mention it sounds highly inefficient.

No, well maybe the video thing.

The whole reason quantum computers as a big thing is because they can do calculations so fast.  Unlike standard computers, quantum computers can do multiple calculations at the same exact time.

Well that sounds quite handy O_o
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 03:22:03 pm »
If I find out that these physicists are just playing around when they're being paid to work, there's going to be trouble.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:06:46 pm »
If I find out that these physicists are just playing around when they're being paid to work, there's going to be trouble.

Our job description is: playing around! :)
The unbreakable wall

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 05:55:21 pm »

The processor is the part that does most of the actual calculations. That's the part that would benefit the most. Graphics cards do have their own processors, too.

Unless I'm mistaken, modern Hard drives and RAM probably won't be affected very much.

One thing that this means is that the "memory wall" problem will only get worse. CPU speeds have been increasing at a much faster rate than memory, and memory access times haven't been able to keep up with increasing clock frequencies, creating a performance bottleneck. Recently, advancements in CPU speed have slowed due to certain physical barriers (namely, the fact that transistors can only become so small before they reach the atomic level, which is currently not feasible) but if this article is to be believed, than those barriers are on their way to being broken.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 10:52:09 pm »
The fact that we can harness an atom's power to such an extent is just awesome.  Though it will probably be quite a while before we actually see any practical uses for something like this.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 11:38:49 pm »
I mentioned this in class today...

Now, if they can improve graphic cards, I will be truly impressed.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."