Author Topic: Completely Drug Resistant TB Strain Discovered  (Read 9149 times)

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
Re: Completely Drug Resistant TB Strain Discovered
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:58:04 pm »
Pah... I'm starting to wonder if humanity will wipe itself out with a superbug before we ever feel the effects of global warming.
No, it will not be worse than before we had antibiotics. It will be destructive, but I don't think it will lead to extinction, especially when we do have better methods for reducing the number of infections including vaccines and much improved sanitation.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 01:05:02 pm »
Pah... I'm starting to wonder if humanity will wipe itself out with a superbug before we ever feel the effects of global warming.

This feels appropriate:

Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:38 pm »
Looking at this thread reminded me of something a family friend had told me. She said she had attended some kind of medical talk/lecture, and it was stated that approximately every 100 years,  MAJOR epidemics tend to strike. The last major one was the Spanish Flu in 1918 and resulted in (correct me if I'm wrong, just too tired to double check my damn numbers this morning) 50,000 deaths. We are in 2012, almost a hundred years later... and hearing stories like this one really makes me nervous... Especially when you take the population of the world back then and compare it to the population as it is TODAY. Considering how much our population has grown in the past 100 years, if another major epidemic such as tb or another deadly flu hits us, doesn't that mean that the death toll would be much higher?

Yeah, I know I've been proven wrong before here, and if someone would like to prove me wrong again, please do so. Because the thought of being so close in time to a potential massive epidemic like that is mind-fuckingly terrifying to me.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 01:26:23 pm »
Looking at this thread reminded me of something a family friend had told me. She said she had attended some kind of medical talk/lecture, and it was stated that approximately every 100 years,  MAJOR epidemics tend to strike. The last major one was the Spanish Flu in 1918 and resulted in (correct me if I'm wrong, just too tired to double check my damn numbers this morning) 50,000 deaths. We are in 2012, almost a hundred years later... and hearing stories like this one really makes me nervous... Especially when you take the population of the world back then and compare it to the population as it is TODAY. Considering how much our population has grown in the past 100 years, if another major epidemic such as tb or another deadly flu hits us, doesn't that mean that the death toll would be much higher?

Yeah, I know I've been proven wrong before here, and if someone would like to prove me wrong again, please do so. Because the thought of being so close in time to a potential massive epidemic like that is mind-fuckingly terrifying to me.
Epidemics do run in cycles (not sure if it's every century though, I think it's faster than that) and we are due for one. And although we might have already averted the swine flu epidemic, there's avian flu as well.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
Ah shit. This time I wanted someone to prove me wrong :(

*Starts looking up cave systems deep in the Rocky Mountains*

Time to start planning ahead...

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »
Ah shit. This time I wanted someone to prove me wrong :(

*Starts looking up cave systems deep in the Rocky Mountains*

Time to start planning ahead...

Let me come with you! I have weapons and ammo to keep the icky TB infected people away like they're zombies!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 03:14:19 pm »
You can stop wondering on that, unless you want to make some historical fiction. I mean, we're already feeling the effects of climate change, such as the the shifting of snowstorms from Midwestern to Northeastern US, increasing ocean temperature, melting of the ice caps, the severe droughts in Texas, etc, and yet we're still here to talk about it so obviously a superbug hasn't killed us off yet.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 03:32:14 am »
The last major one was the Spanish Flu in 1918 and resulted in (correct me if I'm wrong, just too tired to double check my damn numbers this morning) 50,000 deaths.

More like 50 million, minimum.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR