Author Topic: In Steubenville, a 16 year old gang raped at several parties by football team.  (Read 12935 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Show of hands, how many of you posting in this thread have also at least posted it on a social media site? *raises hand*

I don't use social media, but I have posted it on another forum I read.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Cept, Ironbite, I've read the article. While most boys are getting off scott-free at the moment, 2 are being charged. Second, I don't think saying how outraged you are on an internet forum is the answer. Nor is coming up with elaborate ways to torture and kill them. Anonymous has pretty much doxed those involved, including the Sheriff. Call up the sheriff and tell him to press charges. Write a letter to the Ohio Attorney General or the FBI. Repost this story on facebook or a link to it in twitter so others can be made aware of this injustice. Even signing an online petition that will call out those in power would be doing more to change the status quo. If you don't want to do things online, then remember this story and communicate it to others IRL so that it's not brushed under the rug 3 weeks from now.

But acting like an internet tough guy or like a god-damned psychopath isn't the right answer.
Show of hands, how many of you posting in this thread have also at least posted it on a social media site? *raises hand*
Different article, but yes.
Same.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
And now the town's trying to turn it into a case about the evils of social media.

Talk about the town missing the point, especially since it's social media that has exposed the sleazeballs in question.

I think that's exactly why they're upset.

Then the town needs to look at their priorities, and get their crap together. There is NO reason why these sleazeballs should get a free pass despite there being evidence that they were involed, football or no football.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
And now the town's trying to turn it into a case about the evils of social media.

Talk about the town missing the point, especially since it's social media that has exposed the sleazeballs in question.

I think that's exactly why they're upset.

Then the town needs to look at their priorities, and get their crap together. There is NO reason why these sleazeballs should get a free pass despite there being evidence that they were involed, football or no football.

I don't think it's so much of them over exaggerating the football, but them not taking rape seriously at all. It seems more like they're telling her "Just stop whining for peat's sake, you shouldn't tattle on us!"
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
*SCREAMS INSANELY*

CASTRATE THE FUCKERS!! I don't care if you guys agree with me or not! To do something like that, and then to LAUGH and JOKE about it?! Castrate them ALL and lock them up with a big black man... one for each of them! Maybe then they'll understand that RAPE IS NOT FUCKING FUNNY!!

And completely dismantle that fucking football team! Let that town fade into complete obscurity and let the fuckers who would dare cover up something this heinous be charged with obstruction of justice!

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
And completely dismantle that fucking football team! Let that town fade into complete obscurity and let the fuckers who would dare cover up something this heinous be charged with obstruction of justice!

I've been staying out of this thread because I didn't know enough about the situation. I still don't know a lot, but am going to add a few things.

1) I've seen people saying everyone involved should be charged with rape. While I completely understand the sentiment, it sounds to me (from what I have managed to put together) that there is only enough evidence to show the two idiots charged actually raped her.

Just so we are all on the same page, here is how Ohio defines rape (I'm only quoting the applicable sub-sections):

Quote from: Ohio Revised Code 2907.02
(A)(1) No person shall engage in sexual conduct with another who is not the spouse of the offender or who is the spouse of the offender but is living separate and apart from the offender, when any of the following applies:

(c) The other person’s ability to resist or consent is substantially impaired because of a mental or physical condition or because of advanced age, and the offender knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the other person’s ability to resist or consent is substantially impaired because of a mental or physical condition or because of advanced age.

Here is how Ohio defines "sexual conduct:"

Quote from: Ohio Revised Code 2907.01(A)
vaginal intercourse between a male and female; anal intercourse, fellatio, and cunnilingus between persons regardless of sex; and, without privilege to do so, the insertion, however slight, of any part of the body or any instrument, apparatus, or other object into the vaginal or anal opening of another. Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete vaginal or anal intercourse.

I can't find a link to Ohio's Jury Instructions, so I can't quote word-for-word what the state has to prove. So here is the summary.
a) The defendant and the victim were not married. Easy to prove, if the defendant actually challenged this part. (Not likely.)
b) Sexual contact (as defined in OH law) occurred. I don't know the evidence, so I don't know what all they have. Medical reports (if the victim went to the doctor soon enough) are obvious. Witness testimony (if there are eyewitnesses) is useful. Social media posts made by the defendant admitting to what he did. (Posts made by anyone else - other than an eyewitness (i.e. "I watched Tommy bang some drunk girl last night.") - would be considered hearsay and be inadmissible.)
c) The victim's ability to resist was "substantially impaired". This one could be tough. I found reference to a text sent from the victim to a defendant the next morning that seems to indicate she knew what was going on at the parties. If that exists (and I have no idea if it does), that would be a huge benefit to the defendants. (Having sex with someone who is drunk is not necessarily rape. The person has to be so drunk as to be "substantially impaired." I have no idea how OH defines "substantially impaired.")
d) The defendant knew the victim was "substantially impaired." This one could be straightforward, or it could be a tricky point. If, for example, the victim was so drunk she had to be carried, or if the defendants slipped a date-rape drug to her, then there would be little question that the defendants knew. If, on the other hand, the victim was acting normal, never got a drink refill (i.e. appeared to be working on 1 drink all night), etc., then this point could be a lot harder to prove. Another thing that could make this tricky is if someone other than one of the defendants slipped the victim a date-rape drug. If she was acting somewhat normal, even with the drug in her system, the defendant may not have known that she was actually impaired.

Having said all that... The state has to have reasonable suspicion that the defendant is guilty before charges can be brought. It does not matter (legally) if 10 guys raped her. What matters is what evidence is available that could prove which guys did it. If each guy took her off alone (no eyewitnesses) and only 2 were stupid enough to brag about what they did, there may not be sufficient evidence to prove the other 8 actually had sexual contact with her. (Guy claims he was too drunk to get it up, so didn't penetrate = no rape.) An argument could be made for attempted rape.

2) This is probably going to be unpopular, but I disagree with disbanding the football team. Kicking off the guys involved with the party (even if they did not rape the victim), yes. If the group in Ohio that oversees high school athletics wants to punish the team in some way (barring post-season or something), fine. But disbanding the team punishes everyone who had nothing to do with the crime.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Distind

Yeah, Figured I'd echo the bit where you need proof to charge someone in court. It's a bitch, but anything less and everything is a witchhunt.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Social media posts made by the defendant admitting to what he did. (Posts made by anyone else - other than an eyewitness (i.e. "I watched Tommy bang some drunk girl last night.") - would be considered hearsay and be inadmissible.)
DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNAR embarrassment to humanity!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH4f6sAK1JM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH4f6sAK1JM</a>

I need a shower now. *shudder*

(Having sex with someone who is drunk is not necessarily rape. The person has to be so drunk as to be "substantially impaired." I have no idea how OH defines "substantially impaired.")

Does being blacked out or unconscious count?

Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
why the hell would the judge say that?  Do they not get that basically makes the new methods of catching criminals useless.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Honestly I wish these boys' lives were ruined. I'm sick of people like them getting away with shit like this. Also, not just the boys, but the principle, the sheriff, the coach, and all else involved.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
I really wonder if given the utter ineptitude/and or downright collusion of local authorities in this case and others like it whether investigating sexual assault cases should be left to local cops and courts anywhere.

Seems to me someone who's not going to say "well, they're our lads." is the best possible person to deal with a case like this.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Lynch 'em.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
I need to tell Cait how much I like you.

But yeah these idiots and anyone who abetted them need to go to grown up jail.  Just wait till they get in gen pop.

Ironbite-inmates looooooooooove their kind.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Leaks, info, THIS HAPPENED TO ANOTHER GIRL TOO!

http://www.stopbigred.com/

http://thepoliticalfreakshow.us/post/39787413422/the-steubenville-files-tw-graphic-rape-graphic
...................................................................I've got nothin' at this point. Any more anger and I might combust.