Author Topic: Obama: Cell phone recordings protected speech  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Obama: Cell phone recordings protected speech
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:17:49 am »
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/obama-administration-says-constitution-protects-cell-phone-recordings.ars

Barack Obama has made it clear to the Justice Dept. and to judges that the US Constitution protects cell phone recordings of police misconduct. This came after allegations of police confiscating cell phones in Baltimore came out.

I say it's about damned time. This should have have been done with the abuses taking place in the OWS movement in NYC, Oakland, and other locations.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Obama: Cell phone recordings protected speech
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:32:37 am »
I say this is a good thing in general.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:37:11 am »
Wait he did something...right?

Ironbite-I'm confused.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:59 am »
Wait he did something...right?

Ironbite-I'm confused.
Maybe election season is bringing out the best in him...?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 04:17:34 am »
If that's so, then I vote that election season should last for the next decade.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:55:59 am »
If that's so, then I vote that election season should last for the next decade.

I agree. Neither the next President nor Obama's re-election can happen until all of America's allies vote too. And not just a primary and election day each - every county in England, (independent?) Scotland...

That should sort it.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:26 am »
This is very good and I can see no problems arising from it.

From the wording of the article, I'm also assuming it includes cell-phones as a whole. If this is the case, even better. I know in Virginia that police (in the northern VA areas) would routinely go through cell phones. Their justification was that they could be used as an accessory to a crime and evidence could be easily deleted, so they did not need warrants to go through them. This extended into the realm of traffic citations as well; any crime with reasonable suspicion (a low threshold). The courts upheld the officers tactics (although other states tried similar things and their courts struck them down). If this is the case, I may have to break out the happy dance.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:46:09 am »
While I generally support this, I do see possible drawbacks for police officers. Video, photographs, and audio recordings only show you what the creator of them wants to you see/hear. Even a 100% appropriate application of force could look like abuse when you don't see the confrontation leading up to it.

However, I recognize that such cases will be a minority. Most of the time, the cell phone footage catch legitimately abusive or questionable police actions. However, police brutality seems one of those crimes where everyone would remember the accusation but no one would notice the acquittal, so yeah. I'm not sure how I feel.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:26:50 am »
Finally the Obama admin gets something right on civil liberties.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:39:59 am »
You’d think that would have been obvious, wouldn’t you. Ah, government. ::)
-A Pen Name

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 04:05:10 pm »
While I generally support this, I do see possible drawbacks for police officers. Video, photographs, and audio recordings only show you what the creator of them wants to you see/hear. Even a 100% appropriate application of force could look like abuse when you don't see the confrontation leading up to it.

However, I recognize that such cases will be a minority. Most of the time, the cell phone footage catch legitimately abusive or questionable police actions. However, police brutality seems one of those crimes where everyone would remember the accusation but no one would notice the acquittal, so yeah. I'm not sure how I feel.
Also, the police can protect themselves against such by routinely making recordings themselves.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 05:41:16 pm »
That doesn't seem like a very practical idea.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 05:45:42 pm »
That doesn't seem like a very practical idea.
In the age of Little Brother, it is best to find a way.
-A Pen Name

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 06:42:05 pm »
Also, the police can protect themselves against such by routinely making recordings themselves.

I completely support both the routine installation of squad car-based recording devices (audio and visual) and punishments for officers who do not use them when they are so installed. However, short of hiring a videographer to follow around groups of officers, there are going to be a lot of situations where you just can't reasonably make a complete and useful recording. Domestic disputes, foot chase situations, public event security, etc. I do not oppose the constitutional protection of cell phone recordings of police officers, nor do I oppose them being admissible in court. However, the legislature should make some harsh laws regarding that admissibility and rules for posting/showing them in public.

I'm sure there is a way, but whether it is an economically feasible and reasonably non-intrusive way is the more important question.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »
I'm sure there is a way, but whether it is an economically feasible and reasonably non-intrusive way is the more important question.
I would guess the best bet is wearable cameras. They are getting more economically feasible and non-intrusive every day.
-A Pen Name