Author Topic: "Medicine is the devil, literally." says preacher in Finland.  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
"Medicine is the devil, literally." says preacher in Finland.
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:00:28 am »
For the last few days a certain preacher has been on the news in Finland. Mind you, that she isn't an ordained priest, just someone who likes to shout her personal beliefs at other people in a church. Untill last week the churches had actually allowed her to preach there because she did bring large crowds. Her material though...

The particular thing that made her sermons newsworthy is that she tells people not to take medication. Apparently taking medicine let's the devil possess you and all the diseases are caused by the devil. (Apparently this includes mental illnesses as well.) So, if you are sick, don't take any pills no matter what the doctors or relatives say. That is just the devil trying to attack you. Mental health pool (some kind of local psychiatrist association) has also made a statement saying that her sermons can be harmfull if people actually believe her.

After some high ranking members of the church heard about her sermons they made a statement that her teachings are not in line with the official viewpoint of the Evangelist Lutheran church and individual churches have been advised not to let her preach anymore. I suppose if you are cynical you could say that the church is also afraid of getting bad PR.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: "Medicine is the devil, literally." says preacher in Finland.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:41 am »
Odd that I didn't hear about this.

Found a link in English for all y'all:
http://yle.fi/uutiset/controversial_lay_minister_banned_from_preaching/6513526

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:19:57 pm »
Well, God help you if you get sick.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:17 pm »

Was that meant as a joke statement?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »

Was that meant as a joke statement?
Probably both yes and no.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:47:02 pm »
For the last few days a certain preacher has been on the news in Finland. Mind you, that she isn't an ordained priest, just someone who likes to shout her personal beliefs at other people in a church. Untill last week the churches had actually allowed her to preach there because she did bring large crowds. Her material though...

The particular thing that made her sermons newsworthy is that she tells people not to take medication. Apparently taking medicine let's the devil possess you and all the diseases are caused by the devil. (Apparently this includes mental illnesses as well.) So, if you are sick, don't take any pills no matter what the doctors or relatives say. That is just the devil trying to attack you. Mental health pool (some kind of local psychiatrist association) has also made a statement saying that her sermons can be harmfull if people actually believe her.

After some high ranking members of the church heard about her sermons they made a statement that her teachings are not in line with the official viewpoint of the Evangelist Lutheran church and individual churches have been advised not to let her preach anymore. I suppose if you are cynical you could say that the church is also afraid of getting bad PR.

Since this is Sweden, I think they had her just for entertainment value. I think the church was wise to not let her continue for ethical & PR reasons. I wonder if she knows that they let her air her hot air because folks were laughing at her (quietly in the minds, of course)  & not agreeing with her?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:59:32 pm »
a) Finland, not Sweden.

b) We do have fundies in Finland as well, her "sermons" had fans who share her beliefs and they defended her.

In fact, although the main branch of Finnish evangelic lutheran church is rather liberal we have several smaller groups within the church that are fundamental. In fact some of my classmates were part of "Helluntaiseurakunta" which is a branch that among other things takes the bible literally and are young earth creationists. My classmates gave up on the literal bible thing, since that is just silly. At least one of them was a devout creationist though. He enjoyed arguing with teachers about evolution and apart from not believing in evolution he always seemed like a smart fellow.

Also, our church began ordaining women as priests in the 80's and some of the male priests formed their own club withing the church as a refuge for those priests who refuse to work alongside female priests.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:31:23 am »
a) Finland, not Sweden.

b) We do have fundies in Finland as well, her "sermons" had fans who share her beliefs and they defended her.

In fact, although the main branch of Finnish evangelic lutheran church is rather liberal we have several smaller groups within the church that are fundamental. In fact some of my classmates were part of "Helluntaiseurakunta" which is a branch that among other things takes the bible literally and are young earth creationists. My classmates gave up on the literal bible thing, since that is just silly. At least one of them was a devout creationist though. He enjoyed arguing with teachers about evolution and apart from not believing in evolution he always seemed like a smart fellow.

Also, our church began ordaining women as priests in the 80's and some of the male priests formed their own club withing the church as a refuge for those priests who refuse to work alongside female priests.

Oops! Sorry about getting the country wrong. I was confused.