Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 632924 times)

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #1680 on: February 11, 2013, 11:43:38 pm »
These two last episodes really smacked of "After School Special" level of plot interference. The lesson was more important than the plot, and the plot suffered. The mane six were given the idiot ball and Spike was beat up by that annoying as crap rabbit that I want to die in a fire. Seriously, Angel is usually low key but his actions that time was just downright rough. But it was Spike's fault for biting off more than he could chose! Moral time! When it really felt more like that Spike was given a crew of really riotous animals he was falling heads over heel to take care of already, and Angel was just making it harder.

And then the Mane six were given a group idiot ball to make an idiot plot to make a completely out of no where plot that I could barely watch or stand at all. Getting through it was painful which I only did because my boyfriend was watching it with me.

All told, I've not noticed Pinkie Pie getting flanderized that much unless she's in a side role. But most of the time the Mane Six when they aren't a focus get flanderized or simplified to allow for another one to shine regardless of role. Pinkie Pie's actual focus episode showed her with a lot more emotional depth than usual than I'd expect from her, considering SE1 episodes that focused on here were the bane of my very existence. Like, the whole Pinkie Pie Sense thing episode was only slightly better than the one from last Saturday.

Also, in SE1 and SE2 when Spike's the focus, it seemed like he was given a chance to shine and prove he's really something special, where as SE3 it seems to reinforce his role as a side kick? The whole episode with Applejack and the dragon code was really hard to watch because it seemed like they are really trying to shove him into being 'animal level' creature instead of sentient level. He's really on another level than the rest of the 'sidekicks' because he's not a fricken' sub-sapient animal. He's just a kid dragon!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:52:22 pm by Material Defender »
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #1681 on: February 12, 2013, 01:34:39 am »
I'm...

...actually leaning towards "positive" with this.

Even if it's Hasbro going "Lolz, more toyz, here have a plot dumped in your lap", I'm positive that the writers can take almost anything Hasbro can throw at them and turn it into something good.

(click to show/hide)
Where is this concept art? I'd like to see it, just out of curiosity.

Also, I think that it actually makes some sense for the Elements of Harmony to be necessary in order to turn Twilight Sparkle into an alicorn. At the time period of the show, the Princesses can't use the Elements themselves even though they could use them before, which is why they have to be bequeathed to the Mane Cast. Because the Elements are necessary in order to turn ponies into an alicorn, the Princesses are prohibited from turning regular ponies into alicorns at will. Presumably, ponies that do not embody an Element of Harmony would not be eligible for transformation as well. (As to why a Princess would want the ability to rapidly create alicorns, consider Nightmare Moon. If she was able to turn other ponies into alicorns at will, then she could have quickly manipulated downtrodden or simply mean-spirited ponies into forming an army of extremely powerful and angry, yet inexperienced, magic-users that also have the power of flight. Seriously, alicorns are overpowered - there's a reason they are the royal family. If Celestia refused to use the Elements on her own forces to make them stronger, assuming such a thing is even possible, then this would be extremely devastating against her.)

Also, I've personally noticed some similarities between Equestrian society and the State in Plato's Republic, but I'll probably get smacked if I try to write a philosophy paper on that. >.<
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #1682 on: February 12, 2013, 01:53:45 am »
Here's a copy-pasta from Facebook.

So I'm sure a few of you are familiar with the official map of Equestria, right? No? Well, if you aren't, then here you go.

http://futzi01.deviantart.com/art/Map-of-Equestria-323909537

One thing this interactive map doesn't seem to mention is info on the San Palomino Desert. Well, it does turn out that San Palomino IS yet another horse pun.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/palomino

" a horse that is pale cream to gold in color and has a flaxen or white mane and tail "

You know, I knew I was going to like the show when I saw the very first episode and learned that the land was called "Equestria," and this just makes me even more happy to know [about the show].
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1683 on: February 12, 2013, 04:15:27 am »
Other eps I didn't like.  I really couldn't stand the ep where Rainbow Dash becomes a super hero.  and actually the next ep too due to animal abuse 

• The Beast
« Reply #1684 on: February 12, 2013, 06:12:26 am »
I want to turn back to the "Equestrian Girls" rumor for a bit.  One of the reasons I've heard people say it's fake is because it was submitted by an anonymous source - although I technically first saw it blogged on "Fuck-No My Little Pony."  Honestly with the rather passive aggressive way the fandom's raging over it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was leaked by an official source that doesn't want their name known because they don't want their inbox filled with fucking hatemail.

Honestly it's pretty bad when I happen to think so low of the fandom over this matter that I wouldn't put it past people to do this.  Shit, IIRC, EqD's had to fucking flat  out TELL PEOPLE to chill the fuck out over anything that's caused a major jimmy rustling in the fandom.  No fucking joke.  I don't think I have a post that can demonstrate this off the top of my head, but I'm sure anyone who's visited EqD enough - or hell, Priestling because of his work for EqD - would be able to confirm what I'm almost certainly remembering.  Also...

http://rabididiotbrony.tumblr.com/post/42917397872

That post right there is relevant to this whole thing.  If you haven't heard the rumor, it's arguably a bit spoilery.  Still, I feel it expresses perfectly how the fans are behaving to the news.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:17:36 am by B-Man »

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #1685 on: February 12, 2013, 07:02:00 am »
Also, what was with Twilight's random breathing exercises?  There was absolutely nothing leading up to them, it was just, "Okay, Twilight's suddenly not so high-strung anymore", but it didn't really seem to go with anything else that was going on.

...If you had been paying attention, you would've seen it was a trick she picked up from Cadence very early in the episode.

Also, I hate mistaken identity plots, and I found the episode enjoyable in spite of it >_>

I did pick that up, but again... why?  What did it have to do with anything?  The episode lacked any sort of focus and just tacked a moral on the end.  It would have made more sense if the episode was devoted to the message of not getting too stressed-out over things, but with this episode it was just sort of... there.  I thought it was originally going to be like the flooding at Sweet Apple Acres in the Discord episode, that initially looked like something completely irrelevant to fill time, but then ended up being relevant later.  I kept waiting for the breathing exercises to play some kind of role in the episode, but all we got was Twilight exclaiming, "I'm not worried!  It worked!"  ... That's the payoff?  Really?

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1686 on: February 12, 2013, 09:52:30 am »
Also, what was with Twilight's random breathing exercises?  There was absolutely nothing leading up to them, it was just, "Okay, Twilight's suddenly not so high-strung anymore", but it didn't really seem to go with anything else that was going on.

...If you had been paying attention, you would've seen it was a trick she picked up from Cadence very early in the episode.

Also, I hate mistaken identity plots, and I found the episode enjoyable in spite of it >_>

I did pick that up, but again... why?  What did it have to do with anything?  The episode lacked any sort of focus and just tacked a moral on the end.  It would have made more sense if the episode was devoted to the message of not getting too stressed-out over things, but with this episode it was just sort of... there.  I thought it was originally going to be like the flooding at Sweet Apple Acres in the Discord episode, that initially looked like something completely irrelevant to fill time, but then ended up being relevant later.  I kept waiting for the breathing exercises to play some kind of role in the episode, but all we got was Twilight exclaiming, "I'm not worried!  It worked!"  ... That's the payoff?  Really?

I thought there would be some sort of message about stop stressing and the whole "Haste makes waste" what not, but it really kind of went no where despite the fact that would have really made a lot more sense.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1687 on: February 12, 2013, 12:00:28 pm »

Because minor character development is a waste of time?  Whoopee?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

• The Beast
« Reply #1688 on: February 12, 2013, 03:53:54 pm »
I personally like the idea of implied off-screen character growth, as long as it's not something major enough for an episode to justify it.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #1689 on: February 12, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »
Guys I think I've found the wierdest pony video yet
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL83ui8LQvo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL83ui8LQvo</a>

• The Beast
« Reply #1690 on: February 12, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »

So I'm sure a few of you are familiar with the official map of Equestria, right? No? Well, if you aren't, then here you go.

One thing this interactive map doesn't seem to mention is info on the San Palomino Desert. Well, it does turn out that San Palomino IS yet another horse pun.

" a horse that is pale cream to gold in color and has a flaxen or white mane and tail "

You know, I knew I was going to like the show when I saw the very first episode and learned that the land was called "Equestria," and this just makes me even more happy to know [about the show].

So guys, I just realized something.

Tara Strong's OC pony fits the description for a palomino!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #1691 on: February 12, 2013, 08:09:36 pm »
Hey, you remember that human pone picture? Well, guess fucking what, it looks like it's real after all

Jimmies Status:

[ ] Non-Rustled
[ ] Rustled
[ x ] Maximum Over-Rustle

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1692 on: February 12, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »
Hey, you remember that human pone picture? Well, guess fucking what, it looks like it's real after all

Jimmies Status:

[ ] Non-Rustled
[ ] Rustled

First of all, it's a spin-off series.  In other words, you won't have to watch it if you don't want to.

Second of all, get over it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #1693 on: February 12, 2013, 08:36:08 pm »

So guys, I just realized something.

Tara Strong's OC pony fits the description for a palomino!

Tara Strong's OC is HOT, there I said it.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #1694 on: February 12, 2013, 08:39:05 pm »

Jimmies Status:

[ ] Non-Rustled
[ ] Rustled

First of all, it's a spin-off series.  In other words, you won't have to watch it if you don't want to.

Second of all, get over it.

There's no need to be upset.