Author Topic: Drudge Report Drops N-Bomb  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Drudge Report Drops N-Bomb
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:12:30 pm »
Okay so it's censored a bit, but this is the headline for Drudge today:

The people at HuffPost are as baffled as I am. Granted, I know this is about Quentin Tarantino, and he has a movie coming out (much to the ire of many White Supremacists) called "Django: Unchained". It's Tarantino's long-awaited Southern-style Spaghetti Western flick, and it takes place prior to the Civil War. Naturally, the N-word is going to get thrown around a bit. But I can't fathom the point Drudge is trying to make other than just being controversial for the sake of being controversial.

Thoughts?

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Drudge Report Drops N-Bomb
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:51:45 pm »
If you go to the Drudge report now, it links to Variety's review of the movie.  The movie's pretty fucked up, from the sounds of it.  Not only is "Nigger" thrown around 109 times (more than a "bit"), but it also seems to delight in being hyperviolent.

Hell, it's possible that the "Nigger x 7" link linked to the Variety review of the movie.  Huffington Post never mentions this.

I think that they were trying to bring attention to the movie.  This is the first time I've heard of it.  I can't blame them for being disturbed, seeing as how people love to throw around the "conservative = racist" meme so goddamn much.  Despite the fact that I'm sure the movie has cotext for the word, I'm sure they're likely pissed that the movie isn't being trashed for the subject material.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:59:30 pm »
If you go to the Drudge report now, it links to Variety's review of the movie.  The movie's pretty fucked up, from the sounds of it.  Not only is "Nigger" thrown around 109 times (more than a "bit"), but it also seems to delight in being hyperviolent.

Hell, it's possible that the "Nigger x 7" link linked to the Variety review of the movie.  Huffington Post never mentions this.

I think that they were trying to bring attention to the movie.  This is the first time I've heard of it.  I can't blame them for being disturbed, seeing as how people love to throw around the "conservative = racist" meme so goddamn much.  Despite the fact that I'm sure the movie has cotext for the word, I'm sure they're likely pissed that the movie isn't being trashed for the subject material.
Well a few of things. First, it sounds as though you're unfamiliar with Quentin Tarantino films. They're all hyperviolent and contain copious amounts of gore, torture and death. Second, the Huffington Post link says the following: "The splash linked to, of all things, a review in The Hollywood Reporter which mentions the n-word twice, never spelling it out as much as Drudge." Yes, it said it links to a review of the movie.

Also, if conservatives want to stop being viewed as racist then they should stop championing people like Rush Limbaugh and John Derbyshire. Or inviting White Nationalists to events like CPAC. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:59:58 pm »
Regardless of what Drudge was trying to accomplish, that's a remarkably poor way to execute it.

Also, 109 times in a single film seems... excessive.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »
Quentin Tarantino does not know what "excessive" means.

Also, if the Drudge Report were trying to make some kind of point, I believe they failed. Epically, even.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »
Quentin Tarantino does not know what "excessive" means.

Actually, that was the main word used at his Bar Mitzvah.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:12:45 pm by RinellaWasHere »
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:47:10 pm »
Now I'm curious as to how many people here are a.) Tarantino fans and b.) interested in seeing the movie as well.

Oh and I actually remembered that Drudge has no right to accuse others of racism or race-baiting

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:59:59 pm »
I usually like his stuff, so I'll probably watch the movie.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »
Same here, though I'll probably won't see it in theaters.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 01:04:48 am »
If  it's anything like his other work, I'm sure Rosario Dawson will be in it somewhere.  And it will be a pretty good flick.

Ironbite-the man does know his craft....and Rosario Dawson's ass.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:22:00 am »
How often was the word nigger used in USA before the civil war? I haven't seen the movie yet and I do have to admit that I don't know the specifics of american lingo of that era but to me this sounds like complaining that a movie set in Spain has people talking in spanish.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:24 am »
How often was the word nigger used in USA before the civil war? I haven't seen the movie yet and I do have to admit that I don't know the specifics of american lingo of that era but to me this sounds like complaining that a movie set in Spain has people talking in spanish.

Or, to frame it another way, for The Passion of the Christ using Hebrew and Latin.

Hell, to frame it another way, you could compare this to Mark Twain's writings.  If I recall, he used "nigger" a lot.  Of course, Mark Twain is from another era.  Still, he's read often enough today because historical context is still historical context, mayhaps?  Whether or not it would have been acceptable to use the term when he originally wrote the books, it's unlikely that Mark Twain would have censored his writing for the sake of appealing to societal...touchy spots.  Well, that is, if a quote of his is anything to go by.

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew. - Mark Twain.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:06:10 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 06:22:58 am »
One more thing: If we ban certain curses and insults from movies and other fiction because we feel that they are too degrading then won't that make the fiction more unrealistic if actual people use them. (Or at least used them during the era where the fiction is set.)

I get that nigger is considered to be a very bad insult and I don't use it but if I would write a novel where it would seem plausible for a fictional character to use it then I could have that character use it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 08:51:42 am »
Now I'm curious as to how many people here are a.) Tarantino fans and b.) interested in seeing the movie as well.

Oh and I actually remembered that Drudge has no right to accuse others of racism or race-baiting
My garage has a sign that says "Dead Nigger Storage".

Ok that was a lie. I don't have a garage.

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 11:45:14 am »

My garage has a sign that says "Dead Nigger Storage".

Ok that was a lie. I don't have a garage.