Author Topic: Is your Facebook page safe?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
Is your Facebook page safe?
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:17:15 pm »
Facebook's founding idea was that people would provide their real names, where they went to school, where they live, their gender, age, and interests... so that other people can find them.

Which is STUPID.  E-stalking?  Identity theft? Abusive relatives you want to avoid?  Hello?  There are lots of good reasons to shield oneself behind an internet persona.

Well,  there's rumors going around of a crackdown on character accounts, fan accounts, people who use internet handles, people who have more than one account, or anyone else who they just happen to decide isn't being REAL enough.   So far, Facebook hasn't officially said that they're starting up a witch-hunt, but a lot of people are changing their names to sound more human.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/blog/2012/08/is-facebook-cracking-down-on-bots-and.html
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2012/08/facebook_83_million_accounts_are_duplicates_and_fakes.html
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Distind

Re: Is your Facebook page safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:35:25 pm »
Given how well this worked for Google+ I don't think this will go terribly far, and if it does... well, meh.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Is your Facebook page safe?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:36 pm »
Not that I don't use my IRL name of Facebook, but I left Myspace about when they started trying to force that shit.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.