Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 274027 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #720 on: February 01, 2017, 10:47:36 pm »
I read the comic as trying emotionally blackmailing women to date them.  "It makes me really depressed that you won't go out with me, so you're a horrible person if you don't"

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #721 on: February 02, 2017, 02:07:49 am »
If that's they way they meant it then they should have had the guy say something because now it presumes that the woman should have through telepathy sensed that the guy wants her to go out with him. As it is there is no implication that the guy made any kind of advance towards her and all we see is her making a sympathetic comment and then moving on.

...Not that your theory is without merit as the "nice guy" concept would fit that interpretation. Maybe this is yet another example of writer trying to make a point but doing it so poorly that an alternate interpretation makes more sense. (Death of the author...) "Girls don't fall from the sky and show up offering to have sex with me, how horrible this world is."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #722 on: February 02, 2017, 02:25:22 am »
Crippling loneliness may be bad, but if he does indeed overcook his pasta, he has much bigger problems on his hands.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #723 on: February 02, 2017, 04:26:24 am »
If that's they way they meant it then they should have had the guy say something because now it presumes that the woman should have through telepathy sensed that the guy wants her to go out with him. As it is there is no implication that the guy made any kind of advance towards her and all we see is her making a sympathetic comment and then moving on.

...Not that your theory is without merit as the "nice guy" concept would fit that interpretation. Maybe this is yet another example of writer trying to make a point but doing it so poorly that an alternate interpretation makes more sense. (Death of the author...) "Girls don't fall from the sky and show up offering to have sex with me, how horrible this world is."
I actually agree that there's more than one way to interpret this webcomic. Yes, the fact that I found it on r/Incels did make me focus on the bit where she notes he has a heavy load and says "good luck with that". The load is probably a metaphor but yeah, she didn't need psychic powers to observe he needed help. She outright stated it.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #724 on: February 02, 2017, 04:58:21 am »
I was referring to how he did not ask for help or ask her to go out with him or anything, not that she didn't see his troubles. She saw the he is having rough time and cheered him up before moving on. (Besides, not everyone can stop whatever they are doing to help each passerby they see in trouble and if this is about how lonely "nice guys" need dates then I point out that you can't expect random passerby to start going out with you just like that either.)

It's like the comic assumes that anyone who treats you like a human being or says anything nice either wants to fuck you or is friendzoning you...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #725 on: February 05, 2017, 02:46:57 am »
No it is the "black shirts" paid by George Soros who turn peaceful protests into riots, just as the "brown shirts" did for Hitler in the late 20's (and later became the SS) who are the Nazis today. It's amazing how you don't see it with Clinton stealing the nomination from Sanders with her 900 insider votes before the people even voted. You're either ignorant or so progressive that you can't see the facts.

Offline Wurdulac

• Neonate
« Reply #726 on: February 05, 2017, 04:44:37 pm »
This is more of an aside than actually addressing the content of...whatever the hell that was, but is it really so difficult for people to understand that the primaries are basically just a litmus test the parties use to determine who has the most popular support within their party?  That there's nothing wrong with them determining who to nominate prior to the primaries?  Why they pre-selected Clinton over anyone else is, as my best guess, because they felt she would have been able to work with the Repubs to get shit done more effectively than anyone else; whether that would have been true will never be known now.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #727 on: February 06, 2017, 01:43:24 am »
Hey, that's just the "Clinton is EEVIL" meme and one of the many complaints about her that are randomly chosen whenever she is mentioned. I am more amused at the "Georgo Soros is behind everything bad" and "paid protestors" conspiracies. He went on to explain that the same rioters show up in every city that Milo goes to to wreck shit up and that the only way to explain this is if Soros is paying them...

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #728 on: February 08, 2017, 03:49:57 am »
I thought he the worst the guy could do was misinterpret Jesus to make a claim he would have approved of Trump's wall and Muslim ban but somehow this is even worse.

I mean, at least people have been using religion to defend their horrible ideas for thuosands of years so it's nothing new but this... He is saying that the Nazis who invaded other countries are better people than the refugees fleeing warzones?! And the old "refugees are all just grown men and no women or children among them" bullshit is getting boring by now but Nazis? REAL ACTUAL NAZIS used as a "good" counterpoint while insulting refugees? What the hell is wrong with these people?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #729 on: February 08, 2017, 03:57:58 am »
Nazis were white and the refugees are scary Muslim brown people.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #730 on: February 08, 2017, 04:11:42 am »
But Nazis also had scary brown Muslim people...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #731 on: February 08, 2017, 04:18:55 am »
But Nazis also had scary brown Muslim people...

No, they were all white, blond, blue-eyed Aryan supermen who were just reclaiming the land they once ruled.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #732 on: February 08, 2017, 04:27:50 am »
Can you see these examples of Aryan beauty with their beautiful blond hair and muscular bodies with perfect bone structure?

...I can't.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #733 on: February 08, 2017, 04:41:01 am »
Stop, you're making me hard.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #734 on: February 08, 2017, 06:34:34 am »
"If your erection lasts longer than the third Reich, please contact a doctor."