Author Topic: The Official Pokémon Thread  (Read 11878 times)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
The Official Pokémon Thread
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:32:47 pm »
While this will probably last about as long as previous attempts did, I figure it's worth a shot, especially since some major news just hit. I'm hoping this topic will be used for any and all Pokémon-related discussion, including setting up battles and trades with other forumites.

As for that news I just mentioned? Here I was, fully expecting Pokémon Grey Version to be announced today. And, it is true that the follow-up to Black and White was announced. What is it, you may ask? Why, it's...

Pokéon Black Version 2 & Pokémon White Version 2.

The games, so far, will feature two new forms of Kyurem, one where it's channeling/fuzed with Reshiram and will have access to Ice Burn, a signature move that is Ice-type yet can cause burns, and another form where it's channeling/fuzed with Zekrom and will have access to Freeze Shock, an Ice-type move that can paralyze.

Art Vandelay

Re: The Official Pokémon Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:54:49 pm »
Wow, that's the laziest cash-in I've ever seen, even from the Pokemon franchise (that's assuming the setting and pretty much everything else will remain the same, like every other follow-up).

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:04:51 pm »
Well, that... certainly wasn't what I was expecting. Ever.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:05:33 pm »
What no Pokemon Grey?

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:10:20 pm »
I was fully expecting tonight's announcement to be Grey, but... seems like no. Apparently, the forms' official names are White Kyurem and Black Kyurem (how original, eh?).

Not a whole lot is known yet about what changes to the game the new games will make. The only real info we have is Kyurem's new forms since they're tied to an upcoming movie.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:23:22 am »
Well, sorry for double posting, but talking with friends has led to some interesting speculations. Do keep in mind that everything I'm about to say is pure speculation, and not in any way confirmed content.

If one looks closely at the game logos in the above picture, something rather interesting becomes apparent. Namely, the logo for Black 2 includes a sapphire, and the logo for White 2 includes a ruby. There is absolutely no way that is a coincidence, considering trends suggest that 5th generation would see remakes of the 3rd generation games. However, 5th generation has been largely about breaking established rules and expectations--the fact that the "third game" is actually two games is a continuation of the generation breaking molds. This has led us to believe that it's possible that B&W2 will include the Hoenn region in some way.

It also lends some credence to the theory that the games will be more truly "sequels" to the original B&W games, coupled with another interesting fact. Namely, that Black Kyurem is the mascot of Black 2, and White Kyurem is the mascot of White 2. Anyone familiar with B&W will recognize that in Black, Zekrom was owned by N and never available to the player--yet in Black 2, you will be able to get a Kyurem somehow linked with Zekrom's power. The same is true for Reshiram in White.

While, again, this is pure speculation, that one picture gives an awful lot to think about.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:33:51 am »
If one looks closely at the game logos in the above picture, something rather interesting becomes apparent. Namely, the logo for Black 2 includes a sapphire, and the logo for White 2 includes a ruby. There is absolutely no way that is a coincidence, considering trends suggest that 5th generation would see remakes of the 3rd generation games.
I must say it would be cool if, while they were at it, remade the 1st generation again. Technically, Fire Red and Leaf Green are 3rd gen since they include gen 3 gameplay mechanics and feature gen 3 pokemon after the Elite 4 are defeated, so it sort of makes sense that if they're remaking gen 3, it should include Leaf Green and Fire Red remakes.

Come to think of it, that could lead to some rather interesting scenarios later on down the line (assuming pokemon lasts long enough). If it ever reaches gen 9, they'd have to remake gen 1 for the fourth time, gen 3 for the third time, gen 5 for the second time and gen 7. Yay for polynomial growth I suppose.

Offline jumpingjackflash

• Agent Swears-A-Lot Peashooter
  • Pope
  • Burn, baby, burn!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:32:03 pm »
Hmm. I'm actually more excited about this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYR_XAiswLQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYR_XAiswLQ</a>

Pokemon Tactics Advance, anyone?
Ok seriously, is nobody even going to try and avenge my man-burrito?

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:05:21 pm »
Oh, I'm fully expecting Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition to be one of the best things ever developed by mankind. Future generations will revere it as a cornerstone of human civilization. Pokemon, samurai, and SRPG gameplay is a combination that can only end in pure gold.

But for all that, it's still just a side game. And side games thrive off the innovation and direction of the main series. So as much as I'm looking forward to P+NA, there's nothing really worth speculating about it. B&W2 is actually moving the franchise forward.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:35 am »
Okay, so I picked up the new PokéPark sequel today, and I'm already liking it. Sure, it's a simple sort of game, but just tear-assing around as a Pokémon is such an appealing idea. It's something I've wanted for a long time.

Differences from the last PokéPark game:
Well, this time there's fewer Attractions, so the game focuses more on small-scale platforming than on minigames. Also, there's a rather interesting plot this time (did the last one even have a plot besides "Hey, let's go have fun"?).  And this time you can play as more than just Pikachu, using the GenV starters as allies to help move around the field. It's pretty great.
A limerick:

"Always I'll be with you

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 04:04:30 am »
If one looks closely at the game logos in the above picture, something rather interesting becomes apparent. Namely, the logo for Black 2 includes a sapphire, and the logo for White 2 includes a ruby. There is absolutely no way that is a coincidence, considering trends suggest that 5th generation would see remakes of the 3rd generation games.
I must say it would be cool if, while they were at it, remade the 1st generation again. Technically, Fire Red and Leaf Green are 3rd gen since they include gen 3 gameplay mechanics and feature gen 3 pokemon after the Elite 4 are defeated, so it sort of makes sense that if they're remaking gen 3, it should include Leaf Green and Fire Red remakes.

The 3DS has a virtual console library which allows for GBA games to be played upon it, it's more then likely FireRed/LeafGreen be available there instead of being remade although it's likely Ruby/Sapphire won't be if they plan to remake it next. It wouldn't suprise me if they made it possible to transfer things from there to the 3DS games either, seeing the GBA titles could have pokemons transfered from their games to the DS games.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:02 am »
So... according to CoroCoro, Pokemon Black and White 2 is not just a retooled B&W, but has an entirely new story and new game features. I'm not sure exactly how accurate that is--the whole article isn't really available yet. But the news sounds promising.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:14:51 am »
That sounds like good news to me. And I was kind of hoping it'd turn out that way. After all, Gold and Silver were originally called "Pokémon 2" early in development, so I took that as a hint of... something.
A limerick:

"Always I'll be with you

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:35:09 pm »
Well, it seems that one of the scenario designers confirmed via Twitter that the Hoenn region will not appear in B&W2. He even went so far as to say that if that was part of the game, Ruby and Sapphire likely would have appeared in the game titles. So that area of speculation is shot down. Haven't learned much else new in that front.

In other PokéNews, Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition seems really awesome as a whole, but one aspect of it greatly disappoints me. That aspect would be that each Pokémon only ever has one attack. Your starting Eevee knows Quick-Attack, and will never know anything else until it evolves, where it's replaced with a different move that you will have forever. While I hardly expected the kind of full move flexibility of the core Pokemon titles, each Pokemon being able to learn a limited set of moves (maybe 10, of which they could keep 4 at a time) would have added a lot to the strategy. Instead, you always know exactly which move an enemy is going to use every turn, because the Pokemon in the battle can only ever know that one move.

It doesn't really hurt the game so much I won't pick it up if it comes out in the States, but it's something I really hope they address if they ever do a sequel.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:00 pm »
So... according to CoroCoro, Pokemon Black and White 2 is not just a retooled B&W, but has an entirely new story and new game features. I'm not sure exactly how accurate that is--the whole article isn't really available yet. But the news sounds promising.

I was hoping they would do something with Kyurem, I hated that pokemon. For all its potential, the ice dragon had horrible typing, a horrible signature move, a mediocre ability, and stats that make it a weak Rayquaza.

Also, I plan on getting this (so I'll also need to buy a 3DS) so that I can recapture the awesomest (Gen V) pokemon, Terrakion ^-^

I also don't see them re-making Ruby and Sapphire. I always thought the primary reason for the Gen 1 & 2 remakes were to update the game mechanics (4 values of 0-15 in gen 2 were updated to 6 values of 0-31 in Gen 3-present). But knowing the basis of the pokemon franchise, I wouldn't put it past them.

Oh, and what are everyone's favorite pokes? Mine are (in order) Tyranitar, Alakazam, Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Terrakion ^-^