Author Topic: Meteorite explodes over Russia  (Read 8962 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Meteorite explodes over Russia
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 04:16:52 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/15/meteorite-streaks-across-russian-urals_n_2691904.html

Vladimir Zhirinovsky, a nationalist leader noted for his vehement statements, blamed the Americans.

"It's not meteors falling. It's the test of a new weapon by the Americans," the RIA Novosti news agency quoted him as saying.

Yeah, we're going to spend billions of dollars on a weapon that causes minor cuts and scrapes.

Don't you get it? He is implying that not only is USA evil, but it is also incompetent. Spending millions on some experimental new missile and then when it is finally time to test it on some random Russians it just goes *phut.*

And besides, seeing how much money USA is throwing at middle east occupations, your economical state, insane military spending not to mention how your laws and taxes prey on the weak and poor compared to the corporations and millionares you don't actually make a good argument about being fiscally smart.

I have no trouble believing that some smoky room deal would have your goverment paying millions to a contractor to make some experimental weapons that turn out to be useless.

Mind you that I do not believe that you would actually test it on civilians, so that argument fails in the second part, but weird missiles would be a rather more believable than all those other projects of yours that we DO know about.

Exoskeletons, swarming killer robots, OICW, Jumbo jet with a laser (and a nuclear power plant to power it) etc.

The thing is, most of the stuff you just mentioned there is pretty mundane. The OICW's only unique part is the idea of an airburst grenade launcher, and they simply combined it with a normal assault rifle to make the evolution of the underbarrel grenade launcher (and the grenade launcher part lives on in field testing as the XM25 "Punisher"). Exoskeletons are so common in sci-fi because they're very useful for increasing the lifting and carrying capacity of a single soldier and are a more practical alternative to mecha or full blown power armor. The idea of lasers being used to shoot down missiles or act as a precise ground strike weapon is perfectly sensible, but an aircraft the size of a 747 is necessary to fly it around the world to different targets.

A missile that just so happens to look and act exactly like a meteorite and only causes a lot of minor injuries, blown out windows, and a few collapsed roofs? All while either flying out of space or having ultra-stealth technology that makes it invisible to all sensors until just before landing while also having secret launch facilities that not a single soul detects launching anything? That's just silly.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 04:50:50 am »
I'm pretty sure even Russia knows that if anything we Americans are good at, it's blowing **** up!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 02:31:00 pm »
I wonder what the fundies will think of this?

That the women are wearing their sarafans too short or too low-cut.
Scapegoat the gays.

If it's the teabaggers, expect something about Russia being communist.  Or something.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 10:38:44 am »
I just read that Vladimir Zhirinovski claimed that nothing falls from space naturally.

Seriously, he claims that it is impossible for something to "fall" from space unless it was caused by humans.

“You’re like some primitive tribe. What meteorite?” he said, arguing that space is a “universe that has its own laws.”

Zhirinovsky, more known for clownish political outrage rather than his actual political platform, added: “When something falls – it’s man-made. People are warmongers and provocateurs.”
http://rt.com/politics/zhirinovsky-meteorite-american-weapon-316/

The more I learn about him the stupider he sounds.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:41:06 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 01:58:46 pm »

So is this guy the Russian equivalent of Glenn Beck?  Or Bill O'Reilly?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 02:31:09 pm »
...No.

This guy is not working for a TV channel, he is the head of a political party. If anything he is the equivalent of Herman Cain, Todd Akin or Sarah Palin or someone like that if they actually had their own party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Zhirinovsky

He was one of the founders of the SECOND registered party in Soviet union in 1990, the Liberal democratic party.

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!