Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1089683 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #4740 on: April 30, 2020, 02:39:28 pm »
Libertarianism, even ideally, is kind of bad at dealing with things where if everyone ignores quarantine then millions of people die, but most quarantine violations don't actually do anything (most people are not infected yet! most two-person interactions between strangers don't hurt anyone) and you can't actually tell for the most part who is uninfected and who is an asymptomatic carrier.

It's not a coincidence that government got a whole lot more authoritarian during a complicated collective action problem.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #4742 on: April 30, 2020, 08:13:05 pm »
Here's a libertarian writer discussing the current governmental actions...

https://reason.com/2020/03/16/can-the-government-just-close-my-favorite-bar/
https://reason.com/2020/03/16/can-you-be-a-libertarian-in-a-pandemic/?itm_source=parsely-api
https://reason.com/2020/03/17/stop-it-with-the-coronavirus-curfews-already/

But that's not the libertarianism of the current Republican Party (and the Mont Pelerin Society, where most of this shit started), because that form of libertarianism says that ANY government intervention is bad, no matter what, because it should be up to individuals to do what they need to do.  If they can't do it by themselves, then the FREE MARKET should handle it via unrestrained capitalism...

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4743 on: May 04, 2020, 09:06:54 pm »
Here's a libertarian writer discussing the current governmental actions...

https://reason.com/2020/03/16/can-the-government-just-close-my-favorite-bar/
https://reason.com/2020/03/16/can-you-be-a-libertarian-in-a-pandemic/?itm_source=parsely-api
https://reason.com/2020/03/17/stop-it-with-the-coronavirus-curfews-already/

But that's not the libertarianism of the current Republican Party (and the Mont Pelerin Society, where most of this shit started), because that form of libertarianism says that ANY government intervention is bad, no matter what, because it should be up to individuals to do what they need to do.  If they can't do it by themselves, then the FREE MARKET should handle it via unrestrained capitalism...

The current Republican party is a lot more pro-government intervention than libertarians, they just think that intervention should look like banning same-sex marriage, or abortion, or recreational drug use, or immigration, or...

The Republican party is many things, but ancaps is not one of them.
Σא

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4744 on: May 05, 2020, 12:39:59 am »
At least the anti lockdown protesters can't get worse right?

BTW the JB is the initials of Illinois, who is jewish.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4745 on: May 05, 2020, 01:34:50 am »
This is basically the next Tea Party: a protest by people with legitimate grievances against government being hijacked and co-opted by rich right-wingers to support policies that are against the best interests of the protesters.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #4746 on: May 05, 2020, 04:41:45 am »
I don't think it's the next tea party. I think it is the tea party. These are the same people who came out to protest the B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶P̶r̶e̶s̶i̶d̶e̶n̶t̶ higher taxes that Fox News told them would be forced upon them by Obama that never happened.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:27:39 am by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4747 on: May 05, 2020, 08:54:37 am »
I don't think it's the next tea party. I think if is the tea party. These are the same people who came out to protest a B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶P̶r̶e̶s̶i̶d̶e̶n̶t̶ higher taxes that Fox News told them would be forced upon them by Obama that never happened.

Yup.  The Tea Party never left, they just got absorbed into the larger entity that is the far right.  Names may be different, but its the same ol' shit.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #4748 on: May 07, 2020, 05:18:22 pm »

When has being a member of a group the Nazis targeted ever stopped Godwin's Law?

I do have some sympathies with critics of the lockdown. A lot of them have livelihoods at stake, and I think there are legitimate concerns about economic damage and creeping authoritarianism.

But you can make your point without pulling a Godwin.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4749 on: May 07, 2020, 08:00:48 pm »
"Creeping" authoritarianism? Have you seen Hungary recently? Or, for that matter, Canada, where the Liberals tried to get the power to tax, spend and borrow without Parliament's approval until the end of next year.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4750 on: May 10, 2020, 10:56:49 am »

When has being a member of a group the Nazis targeted ever stopped Godwin's Law?

I do have some sympathies with critics of the lockdown. A lot of them have livelihoods at stake, and I think there are legitimate concerns about economic damage and creeping authoritarianism.

But you can make your point without pulling a Godwin.

See, I think calling it a Godwin is too generous. That would imply they are putting the words "arbeit macht frei" in his mouth to call him a nazi. But the sign is clearly addressed to him, and they want the lockdown to end: they want people to go back to work. I think they are reclaiming the nazi slogan.
Σא

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4751 on: May 10, 2020, 12:48:06 pm »
I could see it as a full on threat to kill jews given some other people at these protests.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #4752 on: May 10, 2020, 05:29:52 pm »
"Creeping" authoritarianism? Have you seen Hungary recently? Or, for that matter, Canada, where the Liberals tried to get the power to tax, spend and borrow without Parliament's approval until the end of next year.

I was talking about the situation in America, but you're not wrong.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4753 on: May 10, 2020, 09:44:29 pm »
And then there's Turkmenistan where it's illegal to mention the virus.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4754 on: May 12, 2020, 05:59:36 pm »
That's all of 'em, Karen.