Author Topic: Wal-Mart files labor grievance against UFCW to stop Black Friday strike  (Read 12132 times)

Offline Carnotaurus

• Neonate
Re: Wal-Mart files labor grievance against UFCW to stop Black Friday strike
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »
And don't get me started on the bullshit "Wal-Mart cheer."

Gimme a squiggly!

I saw that video you're talking about. Wal-mart feels it can give the best benefits possible without a union. Hahahorseshit.

Our store is a horribly mismanaged piece of shit. We're running at less than half staff capacity, they never hire anyone full-time anymore so they don't have to pay out benefits, and they have us covering multiple areas at a time an expecting us to keep up with both while members of management give out conflicting orders. They don't give us more than 35 hours a week except on holidays, like this week, when they expect us to work 50 or more. Hell, our current manager was caught boinking the previous manager and is the reason he left. They both got promoted!

The grading system they use for raises is just grand. There are either four or five grades, and we can never get the top two unless the whole store meets certain sales and inventory criteria, which we can never do since we're severely short on help and our overnight crew is so god damned stupid and lazy that I'm surprised they can find the store every night.

They're scheduling people for 12 hour shifts on black friday. My department manager said she works 7 am to Noon or so on thursday, then has to come back and work 7pm to 7am the next morning.

Fuck this store. I can't wait until more stores are hiring and I can get the hell out of here.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 04:19:07 pm »
That and boycotts always hurt the actual workers before they hurt the big CEOs.

A stupid argument. Imagine if the early trade union movement acted like that. Can't go on strike- might hurt our members in the short run! Guess we'll just have to accept exploding bloody mineshafts for another thirty years, then!
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 04:31:37 pm »
I'm still boycotting Nestle for child slavery.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 04:42:40 pm »

Gimme a squiggly!

I saw that video you're talking about. Wal-mart feels it can give the best benefits possible without a union. Hahahorseshit.

Our store is a horribly mismanaged piece of shit. We're running at less than half staff capacity, they never hire anyone full-time anymore so they don't have to pay out benefits, and they have us covering multiple areas at a time an expecting us to keep up with both while members of management give out conflicting orders. They don't give us more than 35 hours a week except on holidays, like this week, when they expect us to work 50 or more. Hell, our current manager was caught boinking the previous manager and is the reason he left. They both got promoted!

The grading system they use for raises is just grand. There are either four or five grades, and we can never get the top two unless the whole store meets certain sales and inventory criteria, which we can never do since we're severely short on help and our overnight crew is so god damned stupid and lazy that I'm surprised they can find the store every night.

They're scheduling people for 12 hour shifts on black friday. My department manager said she works 7 am to Noon or so on thursday, then has to come back and work 7pm to 7am the next morning.

Fuck this store. I can't wait until more stores are hiring and I can get the hell out of here.

Do you work at my store or something? Because that is exactly the same stuff that is happening to me.

Offline Moltar

• Bishop
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 05:12:35 pm »
I worked at wal mart for about 3 1/2 weeks before I quit, the video playing in the break room 24/7 saying how great it is to work at walmart was a little creepy.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »
Reading this thread makes me thankfull I never did get that job at my local Walmart.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »
Reading this thread makes me thankfull I never did get that job at my local Walmart.

This thread makes me happy that I was fired from the Wal-mart near where I live.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 06:34:49 pm »
That and boycotts always hurt the actual workers before they hurt the big CEOs.

A stupid argument. Imagine if the early trade union movement acted like that. Can't go on strike- might hurt our members in the short run! Guess we'll just have to accept exploding bloody mineshafts for another thirty years, then!

Lt. Fred, there is a very distinct difference between strikes and boycotts.

Do you know what that difference is?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:50 pm »
Wally World's one of those places that I absolutely refuse to shop. This is pretty much why.

Ditto.

They run the smaller businesses out of business and treat their employees like crap. They also undercut other retailers that do offer better wages and benefits, fostering a race to the bottom mentality in retail. They treat their suppliers like crap too, and actively push them to export manufacturing jobs to third world countries.

I buy my groceries at Costco or Winco. For small things that are inconvenient to buy online, I go to Fred Meyer or (very occasionally) Target.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:54:10 pm by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 09:57:05 pm »
They also bully governments and will bribe officials.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Carnotaurus

• Neonate
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 10:19:43 pm »

Gimme a squiggly!

Do you work at my store or something? Because that is exactly the same stuff that is happening to me.

I don't think so, not unless your store's in Missouri. It's hardly surprising if these practices are widespread, though.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 10:42:52 pm »
Or, if his store's in Sheridan, AR, too.  That's how we were, I got shifted from job to job while in the middle of fucking doing something.  The top 3 managers didn't even work, they just walked around, talked to officials and shit, and handed out orders.  The zone managers, the guys who were just a grade or two above us peons?  They were all cool, relaxed, hard-working, honest people, and I really liked 'em, even if one or two of em could be kinda...stupid, at times.  The managers didn't teach me shit, I either learned on my own, another foot slogger taught me, or one of the ZMs took me aside and gave me a quick run-down.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 02:41:11 am »
I don't think so, not unless your store's in Missouri. It's hardly surprising if these practices are widespread, though.

Yeah, that's how mine was, but its likely in same general area (Kansas City area, Gardner specifically). Ironically, my store had, and still has, a reputation for being the WORST store to work for in the area... which doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, here's a small list of the bullshit they pull:

They brought in a manager who had no fucking clue what she was doing. Most of us knew more about running the damn store than she did. Hell, once she even had the asset protection guy help a customer buy a display TV despite the fact that he was supposed to be incognito and I was only a department over and electronics was the only department outside of mine that I actually liked (largely due to the fact that I know the merchandise there like the back of my hand).

Ran a skeleton crew, even during the fucking holidays by refusing to replace people that quit or got fired unless they absolutely had to. Hell, the number one customer complaint was that they couldn't fucking find anyone to help them!

Bullshit write ups. Once I got written up for "low productivity," courtesy the aforementioned dumbass manager that had no idea what she was doing. She claimed that she had multiple incidents on record that lead to this write up, but couldn't even pull ONE out of her ass when I pressed her. My direct supervisor at the time actually apologized to me immediately afterward because even she saw the bullshit.

Relatedly, bullshit threats for write ups. Repeatedly, they would threaten to write me up if I didn't partake in the fucking Wal-Mart cheer, which they knew I fucking HATED in all its demeaning worthlessness. It was a waste of time and energy and I initially just left the meeting when they were about to start it. A couple other people actually started following suit because they agreed with me. They eventually gave up after I just sat there and did nothing during it to get them off my ass for leaving before it.

A complete lack of efficiency. Once, I was about to leave when a customer asked me to help them, so I went to do so. They wanted a fishing license, but the license computer was having serious issues (they happened all the fucking time and they never replaced it), so I let the customer know that it needed to reboot and that, since it was time for me to leave for the day, I would send over the next guy to help him. The customer had no problem with this, so I went to pass the sporting goods keys to the next guy (again, note that this was not my job and was actually a higher paying job than my actual position, see how often that happens?). A manager (incidentally, the SAME FUCKING IDIOT) overhears me doing this and she tells me to go back and help the customer, I explain myself to her, but she doesn't care. I roll my eyes and head back to help the customer... when the guy I was going to pass the keys along to comes by and takes the keys and proceeds to help the customer, telling me to go and talk to the manager. The manager then tells me to WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE STORE MEETING to talk to her, which I call her out on. She was actually so stunned that she actually let me leave for the night with no complaint. I can bet you twenty bucks that she would have written me up for this incident, which amounted to her making a mess out of me trying to optimize one simple fucking thing.

Lied to the unemployment office. This one didn't happen to me, but to a co-worker who was fired a few months after me for similarly dubious reasons. They fired him for some similar non-offense like when they fired me for not saying "hi" to a customer, something along the lines of refusing to help an unreasonable and angry customer, then lied to the unemployment office by telling them that he had threatened a customer.

As Ravynous said, shifted people from job to job... in the middle of doing something. On top of that, they would then yell at you for not getting your department's work done when you were forced to drop something and take care of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DEPARTMENT for two hours.

Worthless and idiotic manager rotation. Wal-Mart policy when I started working there was that managers would be assigned a new department every six months. Compare this to the store I now work at where my boss has had his position for 15 fucking years and knows everything there is to know about the department as a result. WHY they rotate managers like this is completely beyond me. The only advantage is to separate employees and managers that hate each other. Also, because of unnecessary policy changes, I was stuck wit that same fucking dumbass as my manager for the majority of my two year stint with the store. At least there was a 3 or so month gap between when she was my boss as a cart pusher and when she was my boss as a sales associate /sarcasm.

Completely computer generated scheduling. Because that worthless dumbass needs even LESS to do /sarcasm. Initially, the computer was used to give a guideline for scheduling, but idiotic and completely unnecessary policy changes actually made it impossible for managers to change the schedule before finalizing with conflicts having to be worked out afterward (or so they claimed, I have no idea if they were lying to me or not). The computer not only CONSTANTLY shuffled around hours and rarely would you go even TWO WEEKS with the same schedule, but it would often disregard availability, so we'd have people scheduled when they couldn't even work. It also disregarded logic in that it would occasionally schedule me until fucking midnight or until 10 PM on one day, then at 7 or 8 AM the next.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:08:45 am by Wolf Lord Waldorf X »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 02:44:55 am »
I shop at Walmart while at school because I don't have a car and the shuttle bus takes you there for free. While at home, we shop at Walmart only to get things we can't get at our local grocery or Hannaford.

Also, I swear to God Walmart uses some sort of arcane black magic for its prices. For example, here is the yarn I make everything with because it is cheap and thick and warm and not alpaca whatever shit. You will note that, from the supplier, it is $5.29. At my Walmart, they're $3.27. WHY.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 03:32:41 am »

Completely computer generated scheduling. Because that worthless dumbass needs even LESS to do /sarcasm. Initially, the computer was used to give a guideline for scheduling, but idiotic and completely unnecessary policy changes actually made it impossible for managers to change the schedule before finalizing with conflicts having to be worked out afterward (or so they claimed, I have no idea if they were lying to me or not). The computer not only CONSTANTLY shuffled around hours and rarely would you go even TWO WEEKS with the same schedule, but it would often disregard availability, so we'd have people scheduled when they couldn't even work. It also disregarded logic in that it would occasionally schedule me until fucking midnight or until 10 PM on one day, then at 7 or 8 AM the next.

Wanna know why they could get away with that?  Cause as long as you had an 8 hour break between shifts, the computer thinks you've gotten enough rest.  It's completely stupid.  In the year I worked for Walmart, very rarely would I have the same shift 2 weeks in a row.  Made making plans and shit just completely worthless because you knew you'd be scheduled a closing then an opening the next day.  Only people who got the same shift were the overnighters and the full timers.

Ironbite-everyone else could go fuck themselves.