Author Topic: WBC plans to picket Robin Williams funeral  (Read 22824 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: WBC plans to picket Robin Williams funeral
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 12:10:39 am »
If there is anything, ironchew and Art, that you've neglected, it is this truth.
I didn't say it's not psychologically comforting, I said it's not logical. No shit Sherlock, of course that's why people believe in it. This doesn't in any way invalidate my statement, nor does it mean religion deserves my respect.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:30 am »
If there is anything, ironchew and Art, that you've neglected, it is this truth.
I didn't say it's not psychologically comforting, I said it's not logical. No shit Sherlock, of course that's why people believe in it. This doesn't in any way invalidate my statement, nor does it mean religion deserves my respect.

What I am saying is that being illogical and not deserving of your respect, due to the way these people think, matters less than you think it does. To them, religion only matters if it has the person in question's respect and a sufficient number of fellows who believe likewise. They can simply decree your respect not necessary, and your reasons inapplicable, due to their own thoughts.

What I am getting at, is that the truth, regardless how vaunted it is, is a fragile thing.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 12:28:42 am »

What I am saying is that being illogical and not deserving of your respect, due to the way these people think, matters less than you think it does. To them, religion only matters if it has the person in question's respect and a sufficient number of fellows who believe likewise. They can simply decree your respect not necessary, and your reasons inapplicable, due to their own thoughts.

What I am getting at, is that the truth, regardless how vaunted it is, is a fragile thing.

Obviously I'm not going to convert every last religious person. That doesn't mean you should keep silent in the name of "respecting their beliefs" whenever one of them claims that religion is just as logically sound as atheism, or that their belief systems are just as objective as logic. It's no different to someone claiming the sky is purple or Harry Potter is non-fiction. Even if it's unlikely that you'll ever get through to them, it's no reason not call them out on it and validate their delusions.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 12:31:29 am »
What I am actually getting at is not that you should keep quiet to respect someone's beliefs.

What I am getting at is that trying to remove someone from this state of bliss is futile. Its pointless even to try.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 12:41:45 am »

Obviously I'm not going to convert every last religious person. That doesn't mean you should keep silent in the name of "respecting their beliefs" whenever one of them claims that religion is just as logically sound as atheism, or that their belief systems are just as objective as logic. It's no different to someone claiming the sky is purple or Harry Potter is non-fiction. Even if it's unlikely that you'll ever get through to them, it's no reason not call them out on it and validate their delusions.

But, Harry Potter has to be real, they video taped it for Satan's sake!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 12:53:40 am »

But don't you know that electronics don't work in Hogwarts? See, that's how they get you.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 01:12:33 am »

But don't you know that electronics don't work in Hogwarts? See, that's how they get you.

By Glycon's bleeding fangs, I never even considered that...

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 01:19:24 am »
What I am actually getting at is not that you should keep quiet to respect someone's beliefs.

What I am getting at is that trying to remove someone from this state of bliss is futile. Its pointless even to try.

On the contrary, when dealing with someone that values vague nontruths over evidence, I've found that sustained ridicule eventually gets the message across. When someone no longer feels good about peddling their false beliefs, they usually drop them in favor of what the rest of their group thinks.

There's no guarantee it will be replaced with a rational belief, but it does happen.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 01:35:47 am »

On the contrary, when dealing with someone that values vague nontruths over evidence, I've found that sustained ridicule eventually gets the message across. When someone no longer feels good about peddling their false beliefs, they usually drop them in favor of what the rest of their group thinks.

There's no guarantee it will be replaced with a rational belief, but it does happen.

This statement, coming from someone who behaves in this way, is just completely mindblowing.

EDIT: No, seriously, you just fucking justified every single action for oppressing any type of progress. You just justified every single action and reason that atheists or any other minority belief gets stomped on.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:58:58 am by Mechtaur »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 01:51:17 am »
I legit cannot think of a single situation in history where ridicule has solved anything, in all honesty.  If anything, it's made the problem worse.

It just seems like an excuse to be a dick.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 08:51:11 am »
Ironchew and Paragon! Always fighting like children, making a mess of the universe! And I have to clean up the messes!

Let me get my Glock 17 and you two will be best friends. Nothing like a polymer-framed short recoil operated locked breech pistol to solve arguments between you two.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:58:21 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 09:34:21 am »
I legit cannot think of a single situation in history where ridicule has solved anything, in all honesty.  If anything, it's made the problem worse.

It just seems like an excuse to be a dick.
Well, yes and no.  Ridicule can change things, as proven by Voltaire and Benjamin Franklin.  However, it needs to have a point beyond "you're a moron!  Ha ha!".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2014, 12:39:46 pm »

But, what if said electronics were built in Hogwarts itself, using magic?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »
But, what if said electronics were built in Hogwarts itself, using magic?
I suppose it's possible. Maybe not actual electronics, but something that uses magic as a substitute for electricity could indeed work.

Now I feel as though the series would've been so much better if Harry and co had discovered thaumic computing.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:29 pm »
And no offense, but even if Christian Heaven was real, I really wouldn't want to go there.

I don't want to spend all eternity sucking up to a god like that.

Actually ylu judt have to be a suck up in the present life. I dont think god will punt you out once you get your hand stamped
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.