Author Topic: WBC plans to picket Robin Williams funeral  (Read 22821 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: WBC plans to picket Robin Williams funeral
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2014, 11:01:29 pm »
And no offense, but even if Christian Heaven was real, I really wouldn't want to go there.

I don't want to spend all eternity sucking up to a god like that.

Actually ylu judt have to be a suck up in the present life. I dont think god will punt you out once you get your hand stamped

From what I know of Christian Heaven, you don't have a choice - the idea of heaven is sucking up to God for all eternity because, apparently, basking in his presence is bliss.

Pardon my venom.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2014, 12:00:55 am »
Yeah. I'd rather cook.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 01:11:26 am »
Too bad that they're not the only ones who hated Williams:

… Robin Williams committed suicide. Why? ‘Cause he’s miserable. You know why? Because he doesn’t follow Christ…

You say “Don’t get on Robin Williams.” You know what? I haven’t even started getting on that cross-dressing freak yet…

… It’s a sad day when Christians today are eulogizing, and praising, and saying “Rest in Peace, Robin Williams.” Robin Williams is burning in Hell.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2014, 02:45:13 am »
Fundies are complete monsters.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2014, 03:41:01 am »
And no offense, but even if Christian Heaven was real, I really wouldn't want to go there.

Actually ylu judt have to be a suck up in the present life. I dont think god will punt you out once you get your hand stamped

Yeah, tell that to Adam, Eve, and Lucifer.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2014, 04:05:55 am »

Yeah, tell that to Adam, Eve, and Lucifer.

Adam and Eve were never in heaven in the first place.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:46 am »
But, what if said electronics were built in Hogwarts itself, using magic?
I suppose it's possible. Maybe not actual electronics, but something that uses magic as a substitute for electricity could indeed work.

Now I feel as though the series would've been so much better if Harry and co had discovered thaumic computing.

I do kinda raise my eyebrow at the implication that magic causes electromagnetic interference.  If that's so, why don't we hear of the muggles near places like Diagon Alley, which sell mass amounts of enchanted goods and have people working with and using magic almost every hour or every day in significant numbers, complaining about their electronics going haywire?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2014, 08:26:33 am »
I suppose it's possible. Maybe not actual electronics, but something that uses magic as a substitute for electricity could indeed work.

Now I feel as though the series would've been so much better if Harry and co had discovered thaumic computing.

I do kinda raise my eyebrow at the implication that magic causes electromagnetic interference.  If that's so, why don't we hear of the muggles near places like Diagon Alley, which sell mass amounts of enchanted goods and have people working with and using magic almost every hour or every day in significant numbers, complaining about their electronics going haywire?

It's Harry Potter. Selective bullshit is really the cornerstone of the series. Without it, the plot would completely unravel. Take Gringotts and it's stupidly massive network of underground vaults underneath a major city like London. In the real world, even a barely competent geologist in training could find that in a heartbeat (same with the Ministry, now that I think about it). Or Arthur Weasley's flying car. You cannot fly an aircraft with pedals and a steering wheel. That's just fucking moronic. Even with the handbrake controlling pitch, (which is an extremely awkward solution at best, good luck landing that thing), the wheel can only control yaw or roll, but not both. That thing would be completely unflyable.

Then there's the Hogwarts Express. Sure, it makes some sense to gather the students in a major city, then move them in secret to Hogwarts. However, if Hogwarts is in Scotland, why have them meet in London, then spend an entire day on a train? Wouldn't Glasgow or Aberdeen make more sense as a rallying point? Though considering the Knight Bus exists, I strongly doubt that system is even necessary in the first place. At the very least, charter that thing for half a day, have it warp around the UK picking up students, then drop them all at the castle. Or simply set up a portkey or Floo fireplace in one or more major cities to warp them to the school in an instant. Or hell, even having the staff spend the day personally picking up and dropping off each student via side-along apparition would probably be faster. The possibilities are almost endless.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »

A magical Faraday cage enclosing Diagon Alley, of course. Alternatively, space warping effect. Second alternately, magic interfering with electronics is only canonically stated to be true at Hogwarts, not necessarily all places with magical stuff. It's conceivable that the magical density of Hogwarts is much greater than that of Diagon alley for some reason or another.

As usual, the answer to problems caused by magic is "more magic".
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2014, 08:37:24 pm »
It's possible that it's only places with high density of magic (for example: Hogwarts) that can interfere with electronics.  Diagon Alley isn't a high enough density, despite being a wizarding hub (I guess it's because basically every brick and bit of mortar of Hogwarts is heavily enchanted, whereas the only place that really needed heavy enchantment was the entrance to Diagon Alley)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2014, 02:53:02 am »
I dont recall where in the books it states that Magic does interfere with electronics?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2014, 03:03:49 am »
Apparently, there's one example in Goblet of Fire. "All those substitutes for magic Muggles use - electricity, computers, and radar, and all those things - they all go haywire around Hogwarts, there's too much magic in the air."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2014, 01:00:22 pm »
The question is: is this "magic in the air" due to active (kids and instructors using magic) and passive (wards) magic use, or some inherent magic in the location itself?  If its the former, then it would stand to reason that places like Diagon Alley would have a similar, if reduced, effect due to the number of wards around the area keeping it from the view and access of muggles, and due to shopkeeps (like Fred and George) using spells to enchant various goods.  If its the latter, then what is it that makes the school special, and not some place like Diagon Alley?

The only explanation I can think of that would work in conjunction with the second hypothesis is that Hogwarts was constructed on or near a natural wellspring of raw magical energy.  Channeled and focused magic wouldn't disrupt muggle electronics, unless specifically designed to do so, because the intent changes the properties of the raw magical energy, turning it into a form that is, if nothing else, less likely to cause electromagnetic interference.  However, the raw arcane power, since its more chaotic and variable in nature, would have a more pronounced effect on devices relying on electromagnetism, like cell phones.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2014, 06:44:06 pm »
The question is: is this "magic in the air" due to active (kids and instructors using magic) and passive (wards) magic use, or some inherent magic in the location itself?  If its the former, then it would stand to reason that places like Diagon Alley would have a similar, if reduced, effect due to the number of wards around the area keeping it from the view and access of muggles, and due to shopkeeps (like Fred and George) using spells to enchant various goods.  If its the latter, then what is it that makes the school special, and not some place like Diagon Alley?

The only explanation I can think of that would work in conjunction with the second hypothesis is that Hogwarts was constructed on or near a natural wellspring of raw magical energy.  Channeled and focused magic wouldn't disrupt muggle electronics, unless specifically designed to do so, because the intent changes the properties of the raw magical energy, turning it into a form that is, if nothing else, less likely to cause electromagnetic interference.  However, the raw arcane power, since its more chaotic and variable in nature, would have a more pronounced effect on devices relying on electromagnetism, like cell phones.

So, the main idea of what keeps Hogwarts anti-electronic is either wards or ley lines/nodes?

Given that it was surrounded by a protective bubble, I'm willing to bet the former primarily. Plus, we're never told about whether Diagon Alley has similar protections (or if it is in a pocket dimension, which I'm willing to bet) or not.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2014, 09:46:30 pm »
Why the hell are we discussing this in a thread about the WBC?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!