Author Topic: Man buys HIV drug supply and the price goes up through the roof  (Read 34408 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Man buys HIV drug supply and the price goes up through the roof
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2015, 05:10:18 am »
Of course he wouldn't actually punch a wall. If he even works out, he probably has a private little gym with ten pound weights all over the place, so he doesn't need to associate with, gasp, the common man.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2015, 09:10:02 pm »
Pharma Douche is mad.  How mad?  This mad.

As is well-known by now, one of the side effects of Daraprim, a medication needed by many AIDS and cancer patients, is uncontrollable rage — not because of any chemical properties of the drug itself, but because Martin Shkreli’s Turing Pharmaceuticals raised the price by more than 5,000 percent immediately after purchasing the rights to the medication. Until Shkreli’s greed caused the price to very quickly inflate, the lifesaving pill, which has been on the market longer than Shkreli has been alive, sold for just $13.50 per pill.

Shkreli provided numerous excuses for the price increase, the unfairness of which made headlines for weeks after the rather transparent attempt to effectively hold patients at gunpoint and rob them blind. While “Pharma Bro” ultimately promised to lower prices to an undefined amount at an unspecified point in time — something that has still not happened — another company has taken it upon themselves to completely embarrass the former hedge funder, who described the price increase as necessary.

San Diego-based Imprimis Pharmaceuticals, Inc announced on Thursday that it will be providing an alternative to Daraprim that costs a fraction of the pill’s pre-Shkreli price. The drug will be sold at as low as $99 for a 100-pill supply. Yes, that’s just about a dollar per pill.

And the system works.

Ironbite-go punch a wall for real Pharma Bro.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2015, 09:26:41 pm »

As is well-known by now, one of the side effects of Daraprim, a medication needed by many AIDS and cancer patients, is uncontrollable rage — not because of any chemical properties of the drug itself, but because Martin Shkreli’s Turing Pharmaceuticals raised the price by more than 5,000 percent immediately after purchasing the rights to the medication. Until Shkreli’s greed caused the price to very quickly inflate, the lifesaving pill, which has been on the market longer than Shkreli has been alive, sold for just $13.50 per pill.

Shkreli provided numerous excuses for the price increase, the unfairness of which made headlines for weeks after the rather transparent attempt to effectively hold patients at gunpoint and rob them blind. While “Pharma Bro” ultimately promised to lower prices to an undefined amount at an unspecified point in time — something that has still not happened — another company has taken it upon themselves to completely embarrass the former hedge funder, who described the price increase as necessary.

San Diego-based Imprimis Pharmaceuticals, Inc announced on Thursday that it will be providing an alternative to Daraprim that costs a fraction of the pill’s pre-Shkreli price. The drug will be sold at as low as $99 for a 100-pill supply. Yes, that’s just about a dollar per pill.

And the system works.

good. it's a shame it took a scumbag to ultimately release a pill to lower the price of the original, but hey. props where they're due, that's a great "fuck you" to pharma douche, great news to sufferers, and a step in the right direction. now if only there were failsafes to prevent the original douchebaggery from happening in the first place, patients would really rejoice.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2015, 10:47:08 pm »
The issue is now we need to fix the system so this can't happen again.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2015, 10:58:36 pm »
Nothing is more refreshing than PharmaDouche tears.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2015, 04:34:57 am »

And the system works.

YEAH, BABY!
IN....YO....FACE....PHARMA....DOUCHE!!!!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »

And the system works.

"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2015, 02:45:37 pm »
As a note, Imprimis Pharmaceuticals also has said openly that they're planning on similarly-priced generics of nearly every other medically-needed pill the FDA has approved within the next three years.  That's 7,500 medications or so.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2015, 03:17:50 pm »
As a note, Imprimis Pharmaceuticals also has said openly that they're planning on similarly-priced generics of nearly every other medically-needed pill the FDA has approved within the next three years.  That's 7,500 medications or so.

that's... really smart. they're sweeping the competition under the rug while simultaneously striving for the greater good. i dunno who their pr department is, but they're about to get a raise (and boners. but mostly a raise and boners)

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2015, 05:56:19 pm »
I've seen some LOLibertarians calling this a triumph of the free market, and then they go onto bs and say that government have never lowered the price of drugs, ignoring the laws in place that allow for negotiation that done is other countries due to having socialized healthcare. Aren't LOLibertartians cute, and clueless??
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:19:34 pm by nickiknack »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:02 pm »

I'm going to give the CEO of Imprimis Pharmaceuticals a HUGE HUG!

Frankly, EVERY med should have a generic version. I take Fluoxetine, the generic version of Prozac. Only a couple of bucks, baby!

My Mom, however, has some important meds that she NEEDS and there's no generic. She has to pay over 35-40 dollars for a refill. I hope one of the generic meds Imprimis introduces is a generic form of THAT. My Mom would be so happy!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2015, 10:08:39 pm »

I'm going to give the CEO of Imprimis Pharmaceuticals a HUGE HUG!

Frankly, EVERY med should have a generic version. I take Fluoxetine, the generic version of Prozac. Only a couple of bucks, baby!

My Mom, however, has some important meds that she NEEDS and there's no generic. She has to pay over 35-40 dollars for a refill. I hope one of the generic meds Imprimis introduces is a generic form of THAT. My Mom would be so happy!

there's been a huge pr campaign in france for the past ten years or so to try and get people to grab the generics rather than the brands to try and stem the social security deficit. last week when i went to the pharmacy, the pharmacist actually apologized for giving me risperdal (instead of the generic risperidone). still cost me nothing, because they said that their missing stock was their fault, so they covered the cost themselves rather than make me pay for their error. good guys, those pharmacists.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2015, 10:48:42 pm »
One thing about generics is that (at least up here) quality control can be lower than on the brand-name drugs. There's one drug I take that does have generics, and I do fine with them, but I've at least read reports of people who need the brand-name version.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2015, 04:41:13 pm »

You need patents to expire to have generics. And getting rid of patents has the problem that new drug research is expensive as fuck and companies won't do it if they can't get some economic benefit out of being the first to discover a drug.
Σא