Author Topic: CE: Toxins found in Monsanto crops damage red blood cells  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
CE: Toxins found in Monsanto crops damage red blood cells
« on: May 13, 2013, 02:44:52 pm »
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/05/11/scientists-discover-bt-toxins-found-in-monsanto-crops-damage-red-blood-cells/

According to "collective evolution" this is the case.

I know that if I google I'll get a ton of results saying the exact same thing, because the internet is actually even more susceptible to sensationalist journal-ing than the 'real world', so here's my question.

Is this real, or is this more GMO fearmongering bullshit?  Because quite frankly I don't know how to find out either way.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: CE: Toxins found in Monsanto crops damage red blood cells
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:39:00 pm »
I agree that the site citing (sigh - had to write it that awkward way) this study is derpactivist, but the study is real, U of Brasilia is a good research uni for this and botany/agriculture issues in general.

Note something very simple, and important; these very popular Monsanto GMO crop strains of corn and wheat and etc. carry a broad spectrum means (bacteria) of killing pest insects....and others....including Honey Bees. Yeah. Bayer also markets popular versions of corn, soya, wheat, etc. seed products that are coated in a dose of insecticide that the plants then absorb and retain in the cells while growing...and are also broad spectrum insecticides than almost assuredly kill honey bees, too.

Without seeing the full study, and knowing whether the human immune system tolerates the Bt bacteria long enough for them to damage red blood cells or at least some kind of projected dosage scale that shows how regular ingestion/eating of these plant crops would affect larger mammals, it's hard to say if we should be alarmed on that scary possibility yet.

In the mean time, losing the world's crop pollinating species like bees is a much more serious and immediate concern. Both Monsanto and Bayer are fighting to keep studies and projections about the "mysterious" bee pandemic out of the hands of regulators and law makers. While in several countries, most notably China, field workers are now pollinating vital food crops by hand....because all the bees have disappeared!

Most all of the important vegetable, fruit and nut plants and trees are affected by this crises, and it could lead to a world where our choices for affordable food will be limited to things that don't need bees, like grains. Which Bayer and Monsanto will happily sell to you.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:58:09 pm »
I've known Monsanto and other biotech corporations to perpetrate some really bad applications of their research on third world countries.  And although the words "but that shouldn't stop their research" should be enough to assure me that it's okay to continue more developments in GMO, I would really like to see stuff like that stop before they're allowed to roll out more applications aimed at squeezing money from people who already have so little to spare.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:23:37 pm »
I've known Monsanto and other biotech corporations to perpetrate some really bad applications of their research on third world countries.  And although the words "but that shouldn't stop their research" should be enough to assure me that it's okay to continue more developments in GMO, I would really like to see stuff like that stop before they're allowed to roll out more applications aimed at squeezing money from people who already have so little to spare.

Monsanto already does that in a completely egregious way over their RoundUp Ready seed crops (RoundUp is a weed killer - this particular genemod keeps the crop plant from being damaged by the weed killer).  They have field detection agents who go around testing farms for "unauthorized use" of their patented roundup ready gene mod. If the gene is found in plant tissue from crops in your field, you must be on their list of customers for seed for that crop, or you have technically "lifted" that gene into your non-Monsanto crop without paying for it. Most grain crops pollinate through air borne pollen. If your farm is near a Monsanto seed planted farm, their plants' pollen will end up in at least a corner or a few swaths of your fields of crops.

Monsanto has financially destroyed independent farmers around the world by bullying them with lawsuits, including here in North America. You either give in, and buy their expensive seeds and loads of RoundUp, or basically watch your farm business and life style die in a sea of expensive litigation.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 06:03:31 pm »
Okay, that's good enough for me.

Forgive me for my biased skepticism, it's just that I once almost had to deliver a presentation on how evil GMOs were because my teammates had a bug up their butt about it.  I got kicked off the team, and that benefited me more than it did them.

So I'm pretty much biased against anything that even hints at "GMOs are EEVILLL"

Monsanto, however, is undeniably corrupt in its business practices.  I'm not surprised that they'd be lax in testing to make sure their GMOs are actually safe.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:06:03 pm »
There is nothing wrong in being skeptical.  Truth and good ideas almost always overcome the resistance.  I'm not exactly against GMOs because good things have happened, but the recent developments have left me in a position of resistance to them because of how I've seen their technology implemented.

I'm also aware of how bad it looks when someone takes anti-GMO propaganda as their Holy Gospel and NEEDS to tell everyone about it.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:53:01 pm »
Link to the study....

http://gmoevidence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/JHTD-1-104.pdf

As always, more research is needed.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:13:40 pm »
Since the crystalline toxins are found in water samples, it means the toxins are sturdy and do not easily break down. That means they can possibly accumulate in the bodies of non-target species. It may be that they would be destroyed in the digestive tract, or be filtered out and flushed by the liver and kidneys of non-target (other than insect) species. The test mice were given pure Cry toxins in water solution, and not eating Cry toxin treated plant material. It seems the point of this study was to see if the new delivery system of genes that produce the toxins, Vs bacteria that produce them, should be of concern. The total volume of toxin in any given gene mod plant would be much higher than what would be delivered to the target by just spraying bacteria-laden solution on the crop plant surface.