Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2025166 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #1290 on: May 28, 2012, 06:03:31 am »
I'm tired as all fuck but I can't sleep thanks to blocked sinuses. Goddamnit I hate being sick.

Incidentally, if any of you lot don't much care for me, now would be the perfect time to kill me. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Furthermore, this Lemsip I've been chugging has been as useful as a boat in a desert. For something that claims to be a decongestant, there's precious little decongesting going on around here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:09:29 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Sandafluffoid

• Bishop
  • Defective Detective
« Reply #1291 on: May 28, 2012, 10:41:02 am »
The variety of adverts pisses me off on youku. I have no problem with adverts, but when it is the same fucking 30-second advert (at the beginning and end of the video) about people wrestling over ice-cream for every fucking two-minute video I have been watching for two hours, it gets a mite tiresome. Thank god you have the option to mute it.
Oh look it's me.

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #1292 on: May 28, 2012, 11:23:01 am »
I found a pair of boots that I want, but 1) It's too hot to wear them and 2) They're very expensive.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #1293 on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:38 am »
I find Revolution No. 9 very annoying.
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #1294 on: May 28, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »
My parents are squabbling about stupid shit again, which means that if I ever deal with my mom today she's going to be in a tantrumy five-year-old mood.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1295 on: May 28, 2012, 04:41:14 pm »
Dad called a transwoman 'it' in conversation because I dared bring up something in a Carl Sagan book about transsexuals being spoken of in a lot more politically correct light than I had expected.

So now my mood is in the tank.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1296 on: May 28, 2012, 06:38:53 pm »
Crap, I'm sorry, Shane, that's just fucked up.  Sounds like he needs a smacking with the Rolling Pin of Respect.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1297 on: May 28, 2012, 07:38:28 pm »
Yeah. -sighs- I keep testing and hoping but at this point I think I'm just gonna give up.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #1298 on: May 28, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »
Dad called a transwoman 'it' in conversation because I dared bring up something in a Carl Sagan book about transsexuals being spoken of in a lot more politically correct light than I had expected.

I've been wondering about that, actually. How do you refer to a transperson if you're unsure of their preferred gender?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1299 on: May 28, 2012, 08:01:12 pm »
I believe the established root term is zie.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1300 on: May 28, 2012, 08:34:17 pm »
Normally you should also ask about their preferred pronoun. But if it's someone on the street, the term is often 'zie'.

&

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #1301 on: May 28, 2012, 08:43:50 pm »
I thought Magni ( I believe) just made that up. I didn't realize it was a thing.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #1302 on: May 28, 2012, 08:52:43 pm »
I've been wondering about that, actually. How do you refer to a transperson if you're unsure of their preferred gender?

Use (singular) they. Many people in society don't know what zie and xir are, and its just easier to use they. Such as (in reference to an androgynous person) "They're just going out to lunch" or "They enjoy bowling."

Other than that, clothes are usually a pretty good tell. Not many transmen would be caught dead dressed in women's skinny jeans and a cami and I would only wear guy shirts if I like the design (such as band Tees). Make-up, hair style, shoes and other things which are usually divided amongst the genders are other good tells. However, if you're sure they're trans, asking is a good place to start. I wouldn't get offended if someone asked me about preferred pronouns nor would 90% of the trans people I know, but sadly I also know some very touch transpeople who would get overly preachy at you (through what I perceive would be no fault of your own). However, again make sure you know because you don't want to ask a masculine looking ciswoman if she's "transitioning" lest you enjoy being slapped.

But yeah, just use female pronouns for transwomen and male pronouns for transmen (the only exception I can think of is if they are presenting as their birth gender in front of a group, then resort to singular they so that you don't out them or cause them any dysphoria).

Ugh, my mom once said in front of me after I began transition that "[Chaz Bono] is just a lesbian who is trying to look like a man."

Parents can really suck sometimes  :'(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:59:04 pm by QueenofHearts »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1303 on: May 28, 2012, 09:50:22 pm »
Yeah, they can.

Also, I'm having chest pains but it's not like... heart attack chest pains (I'd be dead by now since they started like an hour and a half ago). It's most likely my GERD or stress acting up on me like usual. =.=

&

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #1304 on: May 28, 2012, 10:37:47 pm »

Use (singular) they. Many people in society don't know what zie and xir are, and its just easier to use they. Such as (in reference to an androgynous person) "They're just going out to lunch" or "They enjoy bowling."

Other than that, clothes are usually a pretty good tell. Not many transmen would be caught dead dressed in women's skinny jeans and a cami and I would only wear guy shirts if I like the design (such as band Tees). Make-up, hair style, shoes and other things which are usually divided amongst the genders are other good tells. However, if you're sure they're trans, asking is a good place to start. I wouldn't get offended if someone asked me about preferred pronouns nor would 90% of the trans people I know, but sadly I also know some very touch transpeople who would get overly preachy at you (through what I perceive would be no fault of your own). However, again make sure you know because you don't want to ask a masculine looking ciswoman if she's "transitioning" lest you enjoy being slapped.

But yeah, just use female pronouns for transwomen and male pronouns for transmen (the only exception I can think of is if they are presenting as their birth gender in front of a group, then resort to singular they so that you don't out them or cause them any dysphoria).
Thanks for clearing that up!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.