Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2070065 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #6195 on: December 04, 2013, 10:41:36 pm »
Frankly, people should be discouraging you from it. It may feel fine in the short run, but nicotine is extremely addictive and you'll likely find yourself struggling with an expensive, health-damaging habit before you realize that it's even become a problem. Many, many people have just started with "One cigarette a day" and then continued to justify the increasing consumption until they're in the dozens and suffering from a myriad of health problems and an addiction that they can't quit. And quitting the addiction 10 years from now is much harder than you'd ever imagine, harder than just giving it up while you still have a chance to make it easy on yourself.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6196 on: December 04, 2013, 11:19:05 pm »
All I hear is nagging. If it's their body, who cares what they do with it?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6197 on: December 05, 2013, 12:50:22 am »

If you care about someone, what the hell is wrong with encouraging them to avoid self-destructive behavior and pointing out when they're making bad choices?

Or do you just not care about anyone in your life?

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6198 on: December 05, 2013, 12:53:23 am »
... I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Ironchew. Yes, I realize that smoking is bad (mmkay), but saying "you shouldn't/can't smoke EVAH it's INSTANTLY ADDICTIVE you'll get pregnant lung cancer and DIE broke and alone" makes me want to smoke half a pack in half an hour just to say "fuck you". I kind of regret bringing this up in the first place. Can we please drop it?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6199 on: December 05, 2013, 02:18:17 am »

I agree with Ironchew as well.

Dodongo made an informed decision to do this.  If he gets addicted, well, he's aware of the risks.

I don't like it anymore than any of you do, but it's none of my fucking business.

And it's none of yours, either :/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6200 on: December 05, 2013, 02:34:58 am »
I already warned him once in the other topic, but I know people are going to do what they're going to do.  Everyone has their own vices and demons to contend with.  I'm no different.  Most smokers know what's going on in their bodies when they smoke, just as I know what happens in me with every swig of alcohol I imbibe.  If the pleasure is worth the risk to the person partaking, then it's up to them.  When I was a MUCH higher consumer of alcohol in the past, I knew exactly what I was doing.  It's presumptuous to think that smokers, drinkers, etc are ignorant of the risks, when so much information is out everywhere telling them just that.  To caution at the beginning is one thing, to presume and nag if they decide to take it up or not is another. 

Believe me, I had to learn this myself from living 35 years with smokers.  They know.  They really do.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:36:58 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6201 on: December 05, 2013, 02:54:22 am »
I've lived literally my entire life with smokers.  One of them is now an ex-smoker.  The other one isn't.

My "drug" of choice is food.  This is my addiction.  It's adversely affected my health, too.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6202 on: December 05, 2013, 03:03:26 am »
... I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Ironchew. Yes, I realize that smoking is bad (mmkay), but saying "you shouldn't/can't smoke EVAH it's INSTANTLY ADDICTIVE you'll get pregnant lung cancer and DIE broke and alone" makes me want to smoke half a pack in half an hour just to say "fuck you". I kind of regret bringing this up in the first place. Can we please drop it?

That's frankly an extremely immature way to respond to criticism. It's already a questionable decision to ignore serious advice about your damaging lifestyle choices based on strawman arguments, but that's the kind of response you'd expect, to be completely honest, a moody teenager to make. We wouldn't tell you this if we didn't care about your future health. You wouldn't be the first youth to regret his/her choices later down the line and wish that they had listened, and hindsight's a bitch. Whether or not you know the facts about smoking doesn't mean that choosing to ignore them is a good thing.

This is really fucking weird, but I'm actually with Queen on this one.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6203 on: December 05, 2013, 03:07:53 am »
Okay, seriously, chitoryu, Queen?

This - what you are doing right now - is actively harmful.  It does not encourage smokers to quit, in fact, it encourages just the opposite.

He already knows.  The fact that you want to shove it down his throat is rather condescending of both of you.

It's none of your business.  He has already stated his stance on the matter.  Any further argument is not just pointless, it's arrogant.

Back off.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6204 on: December 05, 2013, 03:49:27 am »

This - what you are doing right now - is actively harmful.  It does not encourage smokers to quit, in fact, it encourages just the opposite.

This is one of my favorite things about people.

I love spite....
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6205 on: December 05, 2013, 08:00:13 am »
Personally, I hate smoking, but that's just my personal opinion. All the health related issues are the smoker's problem, not mine, so I really don't give a flying fuck. Basically, as long as I don't have to smell it, feel free to bum all the fags you want.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6206 on: December 05, 2013, 09:39:08 am »
Smoking can harm other people as well, so I fail to see it as only the smoker's problem.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6207 on: December 05, 2013, 10:06:48 am »
True, that's why I said "as long as I don't have to smell it". Though I suppose "keep your second hand smoke to yourself" or some such would've been clearer.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #6208 on: December 05, 2013, 10:38:47 am »
Okay, seriously, chitoryu, Queen?

He already knows.  The fact that you want to shove it down his throat is rather condescending of both of you.

It's none of your business.  He has already stated his stance on the matter.  Any further argument is not just pointless, it's arrogant.

Back off.

I cleaned this post up a lot Zachski. I made one post, because I'm not going to sit idly or join a stupid circle jerk. Just like I won't join a stupid circle jerk about guns, otherkin, ITGs, what-have-you. I know smokers; most of my family and friends smoke. I warned him and when he expressed his discontent about warnings, I left it alone. You called me out afterwards.

So, back off. Cause I've said this before, you're aggressive to people you dislike, and it's showing.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6209 on: December 05, 2013, 10:59:26 am »
Okay, now I seriously regret bringing this up. Can we please drop it before it becomes a petty flame war? Or is it too late, and we're just going to yell at each other until we lose interest?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!