Author Topic: Good artists, bad people  (Read 16846 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Good artists, bad people
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:48 am »
Orson Scott Card. Homophobic asshole, but I still like his books.

I remember when the Ender's Game film finally became a thing, and the boycotts began. Someone on the internet, I think one of the TGWTG crew, made a blog talking about how we shouldn't boycott the film because it'll ruin the careers of the non-Orson Scott Card people involved in it.

I speak as someone who actually acts professionally (I make money from it), and someone who's been part of film productions. If I was given the chance to be part of the movie, I'm divided on what I would do. It's an extremely prominent Hollywood film, and networking is the most vital part to a successful acting career. I've gotten closer to living the dream simply by going out and working in the business than I ever did while trying to get through college as a theatre major. At the same time, my own personal beliefs regarding civil rights would leave a bad taste in my mouth if I willingly participated in a project that would give profit and prominence to such a hateful, backwards man.

In the end, you act at your own risk. People talk about the crew, but those guys are going to be fine; unless we're talking something like a remake of Birth of a Nation, nobody is going to give the crew and production team a hard time for their project. Electricians, script supervisors, and camera operators will always be able to find work regardless of how bad one of their big projects tanks. But for an actor, every project you take is a major risk. Even if you get paid millions up front and become independently wealthy from that single project, one slipup can ruin you. Sometimes that's a risk you have to take. But sometimes it's a risk you should acknowledge and avoid.

I don't feel bad about refusing to see Ender's Game (or at the very least, refusing to pay for any Orson Scott Card product). The boycott against the film began where there was barely anything but a teaser trailer available, and his loud stance on homosexuality has been well known for years before then; nobody should have gone into the production blind regarding what backlash could have occurred (and did occur).

And in reality, it seems like nothing actually happened to ruin anyone's careers: almost all of the actors had established careers (yes, even the kid playing Ender), and the director probably got more shit for X-Men Origins: Wolverine than he did for Ender's Game.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 10:47:33 am »
How about Harlan Ellison?  What a douche he is.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:36 am »
How about Harlan Ellison?  What a douche he is.
True dat. I've seen him give talks and on panels at conventions. He's an ass.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 11:29:30 am »
I've only heard stories about the guy. There was one I wish I could find again where he started rather creepily hitting on a woman at a convention or something and she totally shut him down.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 08:11:48 pm »
Andrew Hussie (he knows good and well what. He did)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 12:09:55 am »
James Brown. Good singer, spectacular flamboyant fashion sense, HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 12:27:44 am »

*raises hand* I don't.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:46 am »

*raises hand* I don't.

Me, neither.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »
Tom Cruise:  Hell of an actor, hell of an arrogant power-hungry, mainpulative piece of shit.

Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 04:04:21 pm »
Did he kill off your favorite character?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:28 pm »
I got a couple Isyama Hajime of SNK fame
great artist great writer horrible racist

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 11:53:24 pm »
There is a novel about that very thing, exploring the two lives of Adolf Hitler (the one he actually lived, and the one he could have lived had he been accepted in the Art School that rejected him before WWI). It's called La Part de L'Autre by french autor Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt. It's incredibly poignant and well written. I wonder if it was ever translated in english though.

Edit : apparently not. Though it was translated in german.
You know, that reminds me of this picture:

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 11:57:02 pm »
Did he kill off your favorite character?
I think it's more that one comic he did a long time ago or something along the lines of that, which I've heard of or haven't seen. I haven't asked what it could be since I'm sure Homestucks refuse to speak of it.

Also, Kefka, SNK as in Shin Nihon Kikaku or that that Attack on Titan manga and anime (I've recently discovered the correct translation is "Attack of the Titans") that everybody crows about?

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 12:21:38 am »
What, three pages and no mention of Alfred Hitchcock OR Stanley Kubrick? They both have fantastic movies but dear god did they terrorize their casts to make them.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 12:36:32 am »
Along those lines, remember Orson Welles? You know, Citizen Kane, that radio version of War of the Worlds that freaked everyone out? Apparently he was really hard to work with.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6P1ifGjvEE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6P1ifGjvEE</a>
(Granted, this is... towards the end of his career, after he'd burnt most of his bridges already.)

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!