Author Topic: HCS social media monitoring  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
HCS social media monitoring
« on: November 02, 2014, 12:22:21 pm »
http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2014/11/huntsville_schools_paid_157100.html#incart_2box

A bit close to home, and far too close for comfort here. Apparently, Huntsville City Schools has paid a former FBI agent to oversee a program to monitor the social media presence of students and 86 percent expelled from results of this are black. To put this in context, the school district itself is 40 percent black and 78 percent of expelled students are black.

Now this quote in particular is quite telling about this situation, if you ask me.

Last month, Superintendent Casey Wardynski told AL.com that “our SAFe program is really about bringing information together. Often we’ll find on Facebook things going on right now, kids are posting from inside school or on Twitter. Here’s a kid with a pistol on Facebook. These are his buddies, each with a gun. We’re instantly interested in that.”

Everybody in Northern Alabama regardless of social standing or race, excluding Winston County for it's cultural differences, have shot a gun at least once in their lives. Either Superintendent Wardynski is a paranoid idiot or not native to the state.

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: HCS social media monitoring
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »
I smell a lawsuit, because this is abject invasion of privacy.  Facebook is a public space, and to punish kids for what they post outside of school is none of the fucking district's concern.

And oooh, they're *posting on Twitter* during school~ so scaaaaary... y'know, it's not like I couldn't do that ten years ago from an ipod with wifi... oh wait, yes I could, and did.  Never heard shit about it from my teacher father, either.

These guys are grade-A idiots, and they deserve to face hefty fines and legal restrictions for the next couple decades.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 01:16:36 pm »
look for images of guns or gang signs on social media sites like Facebook

How many kids who flash gang sings in photos are ACTUALLY in gangs?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 01:33:46 pm »

Sums up the whole thing pretty well. Hiring a former FBI agent to monitor what students do outside of school, assuredly without getting consent from the students and almost assuredly without getting it from their parents? That's the scary part about all this.

Also, oh no, they were holding guns, you know, like lots of people in Alabama. Guess what, thanks to people like you, that's legal. What you're doing is not.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 01:37:02 pm »
A shitstorm is coming.  I just know it.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:15:25 pm »
Well it is Alabama.  I mean obviously kids have no rights or expectations to privacy so they shouldn't have any form of a social media *explodes*

Ironbite-*respawns*  Damn thought I could make it through that.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:24:54 pm »
Spying on kids for fun and profit, and if anyone sues they'll sue the school.

Totally not creepy.  ::)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 07:19:07 pm »
So, white kids showing off the AR they got for xmas will be expelled, too, right? Right?? Alabama?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 08:43:57 pm »

Is it? Fucked up, certainly, but if they just look at stuff that has been made public in social media, is there an actual law against it?
Σא

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 08:45:31 pm »

Is it? Fucked up, certainly, but if they just look at stuff that has been made public in social media, is there an actual law against it?

The illegality is not in finding the social media, but in expelling students due to legal extracirricular activities like, say, facebook.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:56:50 am »

The illegality is not in finding the social media, but in expelling students due to legal extracirricular activities like, say, facebook.
That may well hinge on a judge's interpretation of 'imminent threat' because the school board is acting on tips and investigating accordingly (supposedly). If they are expelling students for doing silly things with you hands/holding a gun while black, then they might have a problem otherwise they are going to get the green light to keep doing this.