Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1669340 times)

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #1935 on: December 17, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »
Plus, how exactly does population control / family planning increase world hunger?

Because, in theory, you may have just aborted the next Norman Borlaug. Then again, it is just as reasonable to guess you just aborted the next Harold Shipman.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #1936 on: December 17, 2012, 07:33:22 pm »
I'd argue that the idea that "we aborted the next X" is not only unknowable but ill-defined. At the point the abortion took place, more or less the only thing that is known about the future person is their genetics, and genetics do not determine your potential to solve the problems of humanity or become a serial. Environment matters. So, let's say you specify that a particular abortion didn't take place. Okay. Why? Did the mother have a change of heart and decided to raise the kid herself? Did some generous couple decide to adopt? Was the kid entrusted to the care of relatives? Each choice leads to different environments and different futures, and is inseparably linked with the particular choice of counterfactual that resulted in no abortion.

Also, God is a dick if he entrusts the solution to the world's ills to embryos that he knows will be aborted. But that we already knew.
Σא

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1937 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »
I would point out that identical twins separated from birth have similar lives but ultimately the issue with this argument is the majority of the cases are from lower socioeconomic strata etc and will most likely not be given the tools to find cures for cancer.

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
« Reply #1938 on: December 17, 2012, 08:07:49 pm »

Funny, because I recall the founding fathers saying that they doubt the Constitution would even last more than a few decades before we had to remake it. IF anything, I'd say that implies their reactions would be "it took you over 200 years to do that?".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:37:15 pm by wrongfrog »

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1939 on: December 17, 2012, 09:54:47 pm »

Funny, because I recall the founding fathers saying that they doubt the Constitution would even last more than a few decades before we had to remake it. IF anything, I'd say that implies their reactions would be "it took you over 200 years to do that?".

The man in the bench looks so sad about picking up all that money.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #1940 on: December 18, 2012, 01:23:55 am »

The man in the bench looks so sad about picking up all that money.

Reagan (I think? He's next to Lincoln anyways) seriously looks like he's about to give bench-guy a Gibbs slap. Bush looks like he's pointing at WTF Guy (Madison?) like "See this guy?".
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1941 on: December 18, 2012, 01:26:39 am »
Oh good Julian's made his official return to the board

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1942 on: December 18, 2012, 01:27:17 am »
This guy baffles me he's so talented and he could easily get a job doing art for commercial use

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #1943 on: December 18, 2012, 04:17:38 am »
This guy baffles me he's so talented and he could easily get a job doing art for commercial use

He's kinda like David Dees, who is a master of photo editing software. Too bad he's an anti-Semitic conspiracist loon.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #1944 on: December 18, 2012, 04:36:39 am »
Plus, how exactly does population control / family planning increase world hunger?

Because, in theory, you may have just aborted the next Norman Borlaug. Then again, it is just as reasonable to guess you just aborted the next Harold Shipman.
Kit, I'm aware who Norman Borlaug and Harold Shipman are. Are you aware that this is an entirely specious argument, the gist of which had been outlined by the poster I replied to? Please also note I said family planning. Two or three kids per family, not 12.

A better link.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/business/energy-environment/14borlaug.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Note that Borlaug was working for the Rockerfeller Foundation. If he hadn't got the job, someone else would've. Most discoveries are made, if not concurrently, in close competition. If there was no Norman Borlaug, someone else would've done it - it's been happening to varying (and astonishing) degrees across the globe for the last 10,000 years as it is.

Notably however, - if there was no Harold Shipman, not sure if someone else would've gone and done that... It's not like he was an incompetent General.

Greatness, while hugely dependent upon being in the right place at the right time, is somewhat self-selecting, and additionally, just because someone had a unique role to play in history, it does not by any means, mean that they were uniquely qualified to fill it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:45:04 am by Julian »

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #1945 on: December 18, 2012, 06:17:19 am »

To the artist's credit, Obama's election does indicate something has changed about the Constitution since the Founding Fathers. He is half-black (which would have horrified the FF), and IIRC was elected without the support of white males (who were the ones the FF thought should vote).
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1946 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:24 am »
Also, why  is FDR standing?
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1947 on: December 18, 2012, 10:31:01 am »
It's an optical illusion
Seriously FDR never let anypony know about his polio

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #1948 on: December 18, 2012, 03:42:45 pm »
To the artist's credit, Obama's election does indicate something has changed about the Constitution since the Founding Fathers. He is half-black (which would have horrified the FF), and IIRC was elected without the support of white males (who were the ones the FF thought should vote).
Only if the white males owned land.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #1949 on: December 18, 2012, 04:00:56 pm »
It's an optical illusion
Seriously FDR never let anypony know about his polio

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?