Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1668810 times)

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #2175 on: February 27, 2013, 08:29:53 pm »
I still don't get how these people think wanting to cut down on corporate excess is anti-capitalist.

These people think in black and white terms only... unless corporations can do fuck all they want then it's communism.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2176 on: February 27, 2013, 08:32:06 pm »
I use Key Bank :)
They are pretty good consumer wise

Key Bank was on my list for the move, but I settled with Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2177 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:07 pm »
I still don't get how these people think wanting to cut down on corporate excess is anti-capitalist.

Because it's un-American to criticize corporations that pay their lower level workers starvation wages while upper-level management gets millions for driving the company into the ground.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #2178 on: February 27, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »
I especially like how the cartoon suggests that anyone who doesn't support corporations completely should go without prescription medications. Fucking lovely.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #2179 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:16 pm »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2180 on: February 28, 2013, 01:37:01 am »
The second to last one and the last one were repeats.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #2181 on: March 01, 2013, 09:14:47 pm »

Victim blaming combined with the "irrational woman" stereotype.  Wonderful.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #2182 on: March 01, 2013, 10:41:16 pm »
-snip-

Are they really trying to equate "moving into a bad neighborhood" with "going to a party"?  That if a woman goes to a party, everyone there is going to be an untrustworthy stranger, she should keep herself hidden, and be ever vigilant for potential rapists?  Basically, "If you go to a party, don't socialize or have any fun, because if something bad happens, it'll be your fault."

And hooray for equating "flagrantly displaying your valuables" with "appearing in public while female".

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2183 on: March 02, 2013, 12:13:48 am »

So these idiots would totally say the same thing if the victim was a male dressed up in their best clothes who ran into a homosexual rapist at a party, right? Right?
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2184 on: March 02, 2013, 12:29:17 am »
How... how da fuck is the last panel even related to those last things? A woman showing some skin is the same thing as being stupid with your possessions in a bad neighborhood?  o_O Just because you can't keep it in your pants doesn't mean that she has to dress the way you want her too.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #2185 on: March 02, 2013, 12:31:10 am »
One problem (among the laundry list of problems) with the 'DON'T DRESS LIKE A SLUT, YOU WHORE!' argument is that people have pretty wildly different ideas about what constitutes dressing 'like a slut'. I'm pretty sure fusty old Amish dudes would think I was dressed like a prostitute now in my tank top, button-up shirt, and tight jeans--but I certainly don't think there's anything inappropriate about it. Hardcore religious fundamentalists of most flavours think a woman showing ankle or elbow is salacious. Grandmothers often think skirts above the calf or the knee are only for hookers. I think those skirts so short you can see ass cheek are pretty trashy, and so are visible thongs, and belly button piercings. But never in a million years does that mean the wearer is dressed 'like a whore' or that that's an excuse to sexually assault her.

How about we all just stop saying women shouldn't 'dress like whores' and instead say that men shouldn't rape them no matter how they're dressed? Well, women can rape women as well. And men can rape men. And women can rape men. The point is, it doesn't matter who's wearing what. Or how many people think what you're wearing is 'slutty'. Who CARES?
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Sigma

• Neonate
« Reply #2186 on: March 02, 2013, 07:16:49 am »
I got a question concerning rape : Is clothing one factor that influences a rapists decision to rape?
It's an honest question, and please don't get me wrong. I know that the victim is not to blame and that a rapist is a despicable excuse for a human being, with severe mental and social deficits. And I also know that in a perfect world a woman should be allowed to wear a miniskirt the size of a belt if she wanted to, but sadly this world isn't perfect. So could there be a significant number of cases where a rapist would have not raped if the clothing was more conservative? Where the clothing was the straw that breaks the camels back? I personally think that a rapist wouldn't care about how his or her victim looks, but fortunately I have no idea how a rapists brain works. Though maybe someone here has a good study at hand, or is a psychologist.

Anyway, lets assume that clothing is one of the many aspects that factor into the decision for rape, wouldn't it be better to not wear provocative clothes? It's not about what's right or wrong, but what is necessary to protect oneself. If I have the right of way at a crossroad and an idiot comes blazing along, I'd rather not take the chances of an accident and wait a few more seconds, even though I would have been the one to go first. Better save than sorry.
Obviously a bump in my car is nothing compared to the life long psychological scaring that comes from a rape, but still.

I know that this would not stop raping, but if it would just cut the number of rapes by 5% or so, maybe it could be something to think about. And I also know that this whole thing is somewhat abstract, among other things because of what Caitshidhe said, that "dressing like a whore" is not defined in any way.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2187 on: March 02, 2013, 07:22:09 am »
Well almost all rape is a guy takes a drunk girl he knows up and then rapes her. 

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2188 on: March 02, 2013, 07:31:42 am »
Clothing is completely insignificant when it comes to rape.  Otherwise, the middle east would have the smallest number of male-on-female rape statistics.  (It doesn't.  It has one of the higher numbers.)

It's more to do with power and entitlement than anything else.  Men who feel that women's place is to be fucked, nothing else.  Or they see a passed out woman and think 'Oh, I am now perfectly entitled to take advantage of her body, because she's like, unconscious dude.'

Of course, this doesn't discount the existence of female-on-male, female-on-female, and male-on-male rape, either.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:35:52 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #2189 on: March 02, 2013, 08:52:22 am »
I got a question concerning rape : Is clothing one factor that influences a rapists decision to rape?
Nope.  It's a popular excuse rapists use in an attempt to absolve themselves of responsibility once they're accused, but it is very rarely a legitimate deciding factor.  The deciding factor is always whether or not the man feels he's entitled to sex.  If he feels entitled to sex, he will come up with ANY excuse to justify his actions, whether it be her clothing, her attitude, the way she looked at him, the fact that he brought her a drink, the fact that she was too drunk to say "no", the fact that she was alone, the fact that she wore makeup... anything.  Even if you're not dressed "like a whore", they will just find some other reason to tell themselves that they're entitled to sex with you.

Basically, telling women to cover up because their clothing causes them to get raped is like telling children to stop keeping dogs as pets because the dogs keep eating their homework.