Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1668784 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #3555 on: September 03, 2013, 09:32:24 pm »
I assumed that the "they" Ironbite was referring to was the people who made and agree with that image.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3556 on: September 03, 2013, 10:02:08 pm »
I assumed that the "they" Ironbite was referring to was the people who made and agree with that image.

Ahhhh....

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #3557 on: September 04, 2013, 06:38:10 am »
Yeah. We're doing pretty well with Syria. It's Russia where history might as well be set on a loop, complete with one-of-a-kind president with an extremely socially active wife, a huge economic downturn, the European nation that's being loopy hosting the (Winter, in this case) Olympics, a once great nation in despair being lead by a photo shoot obsessed man who is seen as the second coming in his nation who believes he knows how to make everything better and return them to their greatness, and more.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3558 on: September 04, 2013, 03:20:46 pm »
I don't expect that hosting the Olympics has much of an influence with turning to totalitarianism. Seems an odd thing to remark.
Σא

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #3559 on: September 04, 2013, 03:27:44 pm »
I don't expect that hosting the Olympics has much of an influence with turning to totalitarianism. Seems an odd thing to remark.
Weird coincidence. I find it odd that history is repeating to such an extent. The president and his wife don't really have an influence either, but it's odd that FDR was the first disabled president and had a very active wife, and Obama's the first black one and has a very active wife.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #3560 on: September 04, 2013, 04:06:19 pm »
Weird coincidence. I find it odd that history is repeating to such an extent. The president and his wife don't really have an influence either, but it's odd that FDR was the first disabled president and had a very active wife, and Obama's the first black one and has a very active wife.

Is it that weird? Lot's of countries have hosted the Olympics.

We hosted them last year and apart from the fact that I am typing this from a government internment camp everything is fine and dandy!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #3561 on: September 04, 2013, 05:04:17 pm »

Is it that weird? Lot's of countries have hosted the Olympics.

We hosted them last year and apart from the fact that I am typing this from a government internment camp everything is fine and dandy!
It's not weird on it's own. It's weird when it is tied together with just how much a repeat things are. Formerly great nation in a state of decay. Charismatic leader who is their personal jesus solving all their issues and loves the camera. Militaristic mindset. Heavy discrimination by law against minorities. Global economic downturn. Minority (disabled/black) president in the White House. Socially active first lady. If the Republicans gave a shit about anyone but themselves, I could put a New Deal 2.0 here. That said, the press (in this case, the right wing press, in the past, all of America) praising the camera loving personal jesus.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3562 on: September 04, 2013, 05:12:40 pm »

At any given point in time, there's quite a lot going on. More so the closer you get to the present, since you have more people to do things. A large enough number of things that we should expect that, picking two time periods under any criterion, they would entirely by coincidence have a number of similarities unrelated to the criterion of choice. As exemplified above, twice.

Which is to say: a lot of things were true about the thirties, and a lot of things are true about nowadays. So, if you find some reason to bring to your attention these two times (for example, the analogies you have drawn between Germany and Russia), and then you look for other things, then by law of large numbers, you will find some things that are true now and some things with a certain similarity that were true then, regardless of whether this is at all related to the original thing that brought them to your attention. The broader you are willing to cast your net, as it were, the more similarities you will find (and "First X president, with very active wife, for some interesting values of X" is a broad net to cast)

Which is to say (again), that I don't think there's anything particularly interesting relationship going on between your observations regarding FDR and Obama, or the Olympics thing, and your observations regarding Germany and Russia. It's a coincidence, as coincidences are bound to pop up, if you consider something as big as the number of things that are true in a period of time.

Or, as put by someone much funnier than I am:

Quote from: Tim Minchin
So to presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle, is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLKl1o-foG8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLKl1o-foG8</a>

(relevant part at around 1:50)
Σא

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #3563 on: September 04, 2013, 05:34:35 pm »
I understand. I just find it funny that while the biggest details are the same, so are the littler ones. Less "meaningful" and more "huh". Now, if an Olympic athlete does amazing in Russia and then comes out as gay, I will make a joke about more history repeating. That said, this is going to be the most boring Olympic orgy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:36:55 pm by PosthumanHeresy »

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #3564 on: September 09, 2013, 07:49:44 pm »
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3565 on: September 09, 2013, 10:03:16 pm »
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the woman in a burqa/hijab/whichever looking like a person in a penis costume.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3566 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:32 pm »
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the woman in a burqa/hijab/whichever looking like a person in a penis costume.

Content warning: "fucking weapons"

(click to show/hide)
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #3567 on: September 10, 2013, 05:06:48 pm »

Meh, not too bad a cartoon, but I feel the same about all Abrahamic religions, not just Islam. Christianity is far worse in the death toll, and Israel is currently in the middle of an extermination campaign.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3568 on: September 10, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3569 on: September 10, 2013, 05:17:51 pm »
If you have ad block you cant view liberal logic anymore and I am not giving them ad dollars