Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1668702 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #5595 on: April 21, 2015, 09:04:22 am »
That Asian dude looks kinda like Butt-Head.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5596 on: April 21, 2015, 11:30:36 am »

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #5597 on: April 21, 2015, 04:04:25 pm »

The only anime I can think of that brings up the US bombing of Japan is Grave of the Fireflies. In fact, I've seen a lot of anime set in high school where the students are encouraged to learn English.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5598 on: April 21, 2015, 06:07:14 pm »
And even then, Grave of the Fireflies isn't even anti-American. It's just an all around message of "this is why war fucking sucks."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:52:07 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #5599 on: April 21, 2015, 06:33:28 pm »
Actually, there was a poll done that showed the Japanese had the highest opinion of Americans of any nation, including America.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5600 on: April 21, 2015, 07:53:48 pm »
And even then, Grave of the Fireflies isn't even anti-American. It's just an all around message of "this is why war fucking sucks."

Depending on who you ask, that could easily be construed as being anti-American.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5601 on: April 21, 2015, 11:39:27 pm »
You know, I like to think that showing why the horrors of war should not be gloryfied is a universal thing... but then I remember that one of America's biggest hero is a psychopath who bragged about killing hundreds of people just because they had brown skin and the government told him to do it.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5602 on: April 22, 2015, 12:14:34 am »

Depending on who you ask, that could easily be construed as being anti-American.

The internet keeps showing me that US citizens have a really fragile ego. Naturally every criticism of USA is seen as an attack that must be avenged. Often not by defending from the claim or disproving it. No, the usual answer is to make a hostile comment about the other person's country. But that isn't enough, even when no one means any ill will or hasn't insulted USA there are americans who look for reasons to be outraged.

Last week there was this one history discussion and when civil wars were mentioned someone started ranting that the US civil war was the most important civil war in the history and that is why every country in the world teaches about it during history lessons. When quite reasonably this was countered by saying that the French revolution and the Russian revolution were in fact more important and had global effects by giving birth to new politics (Modern democracy and communism gaining their first foot holds with those civil wars.) this caused a massive outrage with people complaining that Europeans were just butthurt and acting Anti-American because it is fashionable. Seriously, the only notable thing about the US civil war is that it was fought to preserve slavery as an institution at a time when most modern nations had given up on it. And we are taught about other civil wars and wars as well. I'm sure that the schools in USA talk about Pancho Villa and the civil war in Mexico don't they? I mean, knowing the history of your region and notable things on Earth is why history lessons exist.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5603 on: April 22, 2015, 12:27:32 am »
You know, I like to think that showing why the horrors of war should not be gloryfied is a universal thing... but then I remember that one of America's biggest hero is a psychopath who bragged about killing hundreds of people just because they had brown skin and the government told him to do it.

If he slaughtered innocent civilians for kicks, you'd have grounds for calling Chris Kyle a psychopath, but he was just a soldier doing his job.  Furthermore, I'm pretty sure he was never diagnosed with APD.  As for his alleged racism, I'm not sure whether it's actually true.  I've heard conflicting things.

If you're going to criticize him, be my guest, but I'd appreciate it if you'd focus on stuff he's known to have done, such as lying about what he did with the proceeds of his book.

Besides, American movies don't exactly shy away from showing the horrors of war.  Glory, Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now, and Black Hawk Down come to mind.

The internet keeps showing me that US citizens have a really fragile ego. Naturally every criticism of USA is seen as an attack that must be avenged. Often not by defending from the claim or disproving it. No, the usual answer is to make a hostile comment about the other person's country. But that isn't enough, even when no one means any ill will or hasn't insulted USA there are americans who look for reasons to be outraged.

Last week there was this one history discussion and when civil wars were mentioned someone started ranting that the US civil war was the most important civil war in the history and that is why every country in the world teaches about it during history lessons. When quite reasonably this was countered by saying that the French revolution and the Russian revolution were in fact more important and had global effects by giving birth to new politics (Modern democracy and communism gaining their first foot holds with those civil wars.) this caused a massive outrage with people complaining that Europeans were just butthurt and acting Anti-American because it is fashionable. Seriously, the only notable thing about the US civil war is that it was fought to preserve slavery as an institution at a time when most modern nations had given up on it. And we are taught about other civil wars and wars as well. I'm sure that the schools in USA talk about Pancho Villa and the civil war in Mexico don't they? I mean, knowing the history of your region and notable things on Earth is why history lessons exist.

Jingos are a fucking embarrassment.  I think that a happy medium is best when it comes to patriotism, as is true with most things in life.

And I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I learned about the Mexican Revolution in high school.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5604 on: April 22, 2015, 12:31:36 am »
Paragon: My point.

Your head.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5605 on: April 22, 2015, 10:59:05 am »
I'm still wondering how UP even found this board and why he continues to stick around.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5606 on: April 23, 2015, 04:19:20 pm »

Is it just me, or does the guy in the middle look like Borat?

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5607 on: April 23, 2015, 04:41:54 pm »

Is it just me, or does the guy in the middle look like Borat?

I was thinking the same.

Has it ever occurred to these dumb bigots that some folks (like some Jews) change their names so they're not messed with by bigots? THE STUPID! IT BURNS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5609 on: April 24, 2015, 04:44:09 pm »
Think you got worst mixed up with best.